Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield crack issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to start by saying we love our 2022 Model 3, which we picked up new just before the end of 2021.

Unfortunately the other day as I was driving around 60 mph on the highway, I heard a tink sound on the windshield.
Initially I did not see any small hole in the windshield or anything at all, but about 2 days later, I saw a crack in the windshield from the top
middle starting to creep down the windshield.
So I made an appointment at the local Tesla Service Center, and they were able to replace the windshield in about 5 hours, but for a cost of $900, as the windshield, tires, and at least one other thing was not covered under warranty :-(
This expense was pretty irritating after having this Model 3 just a little over 3 months.
Interestingly, while I was paying for the windshield, there were 2 other customers waiting for their Tesla service to complete, and both of them also had to replace a cracked windshield. So that was 3 customers in the Tesla service center, all 3 replacing expensive windshields!

I love the quality of the Tesla, and the engineering behind the Model 3 is quite ingenous, but isn't there a higher quality, high-impact resistant tempered glass that Tesla could use for all their Tesla's windshields?

I would gladly pay $500 - $1,000 more for a new Tesla with a windshield that would be much harder to crack :)

I'd like to start by saying we love our 2022 Model 3, which we picked up new just before the end of 2021.

Unfortunately the other day as I was driving around 60 mph on the highway, I heard a tink sound on the windshield.
Initially I did not see any small hole in the windshield or anything at all, but about 2 days later, I saw a crack in the windshield from the top
So I made an appointment at the local Tesla Service Center, and they were able to replace the windshield in about 5 hours, but for a cost of $900, as the windshield, tires, and at least one other thing was not covered under warranty :-(
This expense was pretty irritating after having this Model 3 just a little over 3 months.
Interestingly, while I was paying for the windshield, there were 2 other customers waiting for their Tesla service to complete, and both of them also had to replace a cracked windshield. So that was 3 customers in the Tesla service center, all 3 replacing expensive windshields!

I love the quality of the Tesla, and the engineering behind the Model 3 is quite ingenous, but isn't there a higher quality, high-impact resistant tempered glass that Tesla could use for all their Tesla's windshields?

I would gladly pay $500 - $1,000 more for a new Tesla with a windshield that would be much harder to crack :)

Did you think that something hitting the windshield and cracking it was a warranty issue? Your post reads a bit like you were surprised at that, but I am not sure thats the case.

My 3 uses the same windshield glass as my BMW. St-Gobain Sekurit, the largest car windshield manufacturer in the world.
IMG_5801 (1).jpeg

There could be bad pieces of glass out there, but I think it's more likely that more pebbles hit the glass, resulting in more cracks. Why does it get hit more? One, it's a big sheet of glass. Bigger glass, more hits. Two, the hood dips really low, which makes for better frontward visibility, but more debris can also hit the glass. More hits = more cracks.

Having said that, my very first week owning the BMW, I had an 8" crack from a pebble while driving past Versailles, on my way from Normandy down south to Toulouse. In the 20yrs and 240k miles afterward, never another crack.

In MA the state requires insurance companies to cover glass replacement, but I believe most insurance companies will cover glass replacement if you ask for it. I've had to replace only two windshields over 40+ years of driving but I think glass coverage is worth having.

I have to say, I see more cracks on Model 3/Y windshields than any other car. To the point I've started taking a glance at them when I see them in parking lots to see "is that one cracked"? I watch maybe half a dozen YouTubers who demo FSD or otherwise stream from their car. Seems like all of them have had a crack going all the way across the windshield in the last year. They make a comment like, "Yeah, I know I have to get the windshield fixed." And the first time I took my Model 3 to the car wash after getting it, there was a guy with a Model Y there who walked over and asked me if I knew of any issues with the windshield because his cracked out of nowhere. All I could say is, trace the crack to the endpoints: it's usually a rock chip that starts those.

Not sure what could make them more prone to cracking but it certainly seems to be true. Luckily, in FL too, insurance companies have to cover the cost of windshield repairs (as long as you have comprehensive). Good thing, since I don't think I'd trust anyone but Tesla to replace it with the camera heating elements, etc.

Mike

Reactions: rlbrown5717
My 3 uses the same windshield glass as my BMW. St-Gobain Sekurit, the largest car windshield manufacturer in the world.
View attachment 793060
There could be bad pieces of glass out there, but I think it's more likely that more pebbles hit the glass, resulting in more cracks. Why does it get hit more? One, it's a big sheet of glass. Bigger glass, more hits. Two, the hood dips really low, which makes for better frontward visibility, but more debris can also hit the glass. More hits = more cracks.

Having said that, my very first week owning the BMW, I had an 8" crack from a pebble while driving past Versailles, on my way from Normandy down south to Toulouse. In the 20yrs and 240k miles afterward, never another crack.
In all fairness, BMW is the new “gold standard” for overpriced junk that’s used as a status symbol. They picked up the mantle from Harley-Davidson a few years ago.

That being said, it’s no wonder you’ve dealt with broken windshields twice now. However, comparing a Tesla to a BMW is fair since they both have a lot to be desired in the QA department.

I wonder if either of them had glass that spontaneously cracked. But also people go to the service center to get problems fixed and not to share positive feedback. The data set of 3 out of 3 people had damaged windshields is small and skewed.

I also had my windshield cracked by the very first pebble to ever hit the car (bumper is still pristine after 8000 miles). I've logged about a half-million miles in this town on these exact freeways with my exact driving style in very similar sedans and never cracked any other windshield.

In many regions Tesla batches all the cars together and has Safelite come out once a week to do them all at once under supervision in the service center parking lot. That's why everyone else was in for windshields too. They call it "Windshield Wednesdays" at my local service center.

Were they able to replace yours without screwing up the automatic climate control?

Did you think that something hitting the windshield and cracking it was a warranty issue? Your post reads a bit like you were surprised at that, but I am not sure thats the case.
The main point is with all the engenering and expense that goes into making Tesla's, the windshield should be higher quality on all Tesla's by default, or at least make it an option so the user could pay more up front for a better windshield.

An update today:
Went to a Tesla charging station earlier today that was being worked on by Tesla employees (or at leaset contractors with Tesla shirts on), and I had a brief conversatoin about my Model 3 windshield experience with one of them.
He told me he had a Model 3 and had to replace the windshield twice on his, and that the Model 3 had fragile windshield glass.
He also mentioned there are about 5 grades of glass for windhsields, and his Model Y so far had not had any windshield issues.
As a consumer it would be better to at least have a windshield quality choice, if you know up front there are these different grades on windshield glass available.
Personally I'd rather pay more upfront for a durable windshield that will not have issues, and Tesla does have durability for almost everything in their cars, just not the glass yet.

In the 11 months of driving my Y here in FL, I've had two occasions where a stone/pebble large enough for me to see clearly hit the windshield and bounced off. One was from the tires of a semi and the other from the funnel of a concrete truck. I must be very lucky that neither left any mark on the windshield, but the thumping noise was pretty loud when they hit the windshield at 70+ mph. I mean, the relative speed is far less. Both of my previous cars needed windshield replacement, but they're free here in FL if you carry full insurance.

The windshields seem fragile at best. I picked up a chip on the windshield and one on the room glass in 3 months of ownership. I’ve never had this many glass issues so fast…

Why don’t they use that unbreakable cyber truck glass? You can hit it and it wo…. Never mind.
Love your reply :)
Seems like Tesla could offer windshield quality options up front at least.
When you see lots of cracked windshields in a car that otherwise is really cool, and built and engineered better than other competitors in the EV arena for the money, it is very disappointing.
Pretty sure they know about glass used to go to space :)
Of course, space glass may be over doing it for a model 3 :) .....how about some quality in between?

Thanks. my insurance deductible is $1000, so my preminums here in Texas would be low.
Hmmm. I pay $93 a month for full coverage on my M3 and all but collision on a 15 year old Volvo. $500 deductible too. But in MA, regardless of your coverage or deductible, insurers are required to cover the complete cost of windshield repair. Years ago I had a 15 year old car. The windshield wasn't cracked but it failed inspection for having too many minor scratches. Admittedly, they did impair the vision slightly at night. Nevertheless, I had it replaced for free. You should ask your insurance agent if they have a program like that in Tx.

Reactions: rlbrown5717