Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield crack issue

AquaY

Supporting Member
May 30, 2021
Long Island NY
You watched them do it? And they were all Tesla techs, not Safelite techs?
I took fingerprints and ran them of all the people in the service area. I
lol
i was in the waiting room.
my car was in the garage.
if they snuck a safelite guy in I wouldn’t have known but my bill was all written up by Tesla and it had a warranty item in the same invoice.

when I had called Safelite weeks earlier to see if they could do it faster they actually told me that Tesla would probably have the glass before they did

I'd like to start by saying we love our 2022 Model 3, which we picked up new just before the end of 2021.

Unfortunately the other day as I was driving around 60 mph on the highway, I heard a tink sound on the windshield.
Initially I did not see any small hole in the windshield or anything at all, but about 2 days later, I saw a crack in the windshield from the top
middle starting to creep down the windshield.
So I made an appointment at the local Tesla Service Center, and they were able to replace the windshield in about 5 hours, but for a cost of $900, as the windshield, tires, and at least one other thing was not covered under warranty :-(
This expense was pretty irritating after having this Model 3 just a little over 3 months.
Interestingly, while I was paying for the windshield, there were 2 other customers waiting for their Tesla service to complete, and both of them also had to replace a cracked windshield. So that was 3 customers in the Tesla service center, all 3 replacing expensive windshields!

I love the quality of the Tesla, and the engineering behind the Model 3 is quite ingenous, but isn't there a higher quality, high-impact resistant tempered glass that Tesla could use for all their Tesla's windshields?

I would gladly pay $500 - $1,000 more for a new Tesla with a windshield that would be much harder to crack :)
It may be the aerodynamics of the Model 3 that causes the windshield to be a "magnet" for rock chips. We have replaced the windshield on my wifes
Model 3 twice now. Did you put in a claim to your Insurance under comprehensive? See if your policy offers Glass Coverage.

I have to say, I see more cracks on Model 3/Y windshields than any other car. To the point I've started taking a glance at them when I see them in parking lots to see "is that one cracked"? I watch maybe half a dozen YouTubers who demo FSD or otherwise stream from their car. Seems like all of them have had a crack going all the way across the windshield in the last year. They make a comment like, "Yeah, I know I have to get the windshield fixed." And the first time I took my Model 3 to the car wash after getting it, there was a guy with a Model Y there who walked over and asked me if I knew of any issues with the windshield because his cracked out of nowhere. All I could say is, trace the crack to the endpoints: it's usually a rock chip that starts those.

Not sure what could make them more prone to cracking but it certainly seems to be true. Luckily, in FL too, insurance companies have to cover the cost of windshield repairs (as long as you have comprehensive). Good thing, since I don't think I'd trust anyone but Tesla to replace it with the camera heating elements, etc.

Mike
Because Teslas are so aerodynamic, the air moves extremely smoothly over the car. The nose of the car does not deflect the air upward very much.

This means that rocks that are thrown at the car are more likely to hit the windshield, even if they are not particularly large. Even moreso if they are large.

Unfortunately, more hits lead to more chips/cracks.

About four weeks after purchasing an M3 SR in 2019, the front windshield took a rather bad hit from a small stone creating a large divot with three long cracks.

No one wanted to try and repair it. It was going to cost over $1,100 to be replaced (and that was in 2019). Got a call from a gentleman who said he could do it and not cause harm to the tint on the front window.

He repaired the windshield and I could not tell where the cracks were.

Cost me $65 and saved me tons.

Sold the car 2 1/2 years later and the windshield was still looking good.

6 years of driving a Model S over 115k miles = 0 damaged windshields.
5 months of driving a model 3 less than 5k miles = 1 damaged windshield.
3 more months of driving a model 3 less than 1k additional miles = second damaged windshield

TLDR; 115k miles on model S = 0 windshields replaced, <7k miles on model 3 = 2 windshields replaced.

Thanks Michigan!

6 years of driving a Model S over 115k miles = 0 damaged windshields.
5 months of driving a model 3 less than 5k miles = 1 damaged windshield.
3 more months of driving a model 3 less than 1k additional miles = second damaged windshield

TLDR; 115k miles on model S = 0 windshields replaced, <7k miles on model 3 = 2 windshields replaced.

Thanks Michigan!

It just might be that Model 3's attract small stones

Reactions: OldPro

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC