Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield crack issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You watched them do it? And they were all Tesla techs, not Safelite techs?
I took fingerprints and ran them of all the people in the service area. I
lol
i was in the waiting room.
my car was in the garage.
if they snuck a safelite guy in I wouldn’t have known but my bill was all written up by Tesla and it had a warranty item in the same invoice.

when I had called Safelite weeks earlier to see if they could do it faster they actually told me that Tesla would probably have the glass before they did

Reactions: DocHolliday
I'd like to start by saying we love our 2022 Model 3, which we picked up new just before the end of 2021.

Unfortunately the other day as I was driving around 60 mph on the highway, I heard a tink sound on the windshield.
Initially I did not see any small hole in the windshield or anything at all, but about 2 days later, I saw a crack in the windshield from the top
middle starting to creep down the windshield.
So I made an appointment at the local Tesla Service Center, and they were able to replace the windshield in about 5 hours, but for a cost of $900, as the windshield, tires, and at least one other thing was not covered under warranty :-(
This expense was pretty irritating after having this Model 3 just a little over 3 months.
Interestingly, while I was paying for the windshield, there were 2 other customers waiting for their Tesla service to complete, and both of them also had to replace a cracked windshield. So that was 3 customers in the Tesla service center, all 3 replacing expensive windshields!

I love the quality of the Tesla, and the engineering behind the Model 3 is quite ingenous, but isn't there a higher quality, high-impact resistant tempered glass that Tesla could use for all their Tesla's windshields?

I would gladly pay $500 - $1,000 more for a new Tesla with a windshield that would be much harder to crack :)
It may be the aerodynamics of the Model 3 that causes the windshield to be a "magnet" for rock chips. We have replaced the windshield on my wifes
Model 3 twice now. Did you put in a claim to your Insurance under comprehensive? See if your policy offers Glass Coverage.

I have to say, I see more cracks on Model 3/Y windshields than any other car. To the point I've started taking a glance at them when I see them in parking lots to see "is that one cracked"? I watch maybe half a dozen YouTubers who demo FSD or otherwise stream from their car. Seems like all of them have had a crack going all the way across the windshield in the last year. They make a comment like, "Yeah, I know I have to get the windshield fixed." And the first time I took my Model 3 to the car wash after getting it, there was a guy with a Model Y there who walked over and asked me if I knew of any issues with the windshield because his cracked out of nowhere. All I could say is, trace the crack to the endpoints: it's usually a rock chip that starts those.

Not sure what could make them more prone to cracking but it certainly seems to be true. Luckily, in FL too, insurance companies have to cover the cost of windshield repairs (as long as you have comprehensive). Good thing, since I don't think I'd trust anyone but Tesla to replace it with the camera heating elements, etc.

Mike
Because Teslas are so aerodynamic, the air moves extremely smoothly over the car. The nose of the car does not deflect the air upward very much.

This means that rocks that are thrown at the car are more likely to hit the windshield, even if they are not particularly large. Even moreso if they are large.

Unfortunately, more hits lead to more chips/cracks.

It’s not just Teslas. My wife’s new palisade has 2 cracks from 2 different occasions. Everyone on those forums is complaining too. I never had a windshield crack on me in 40 years. I think they are making them thinner for weight.

Reactions: OldPro
About four weeks after purchasing an M3 SR in 2019, the front windshield took a rather bad hit from a small stone creating a large divot with three long cracks.

No one wanted to try and repair it. It was going to cost over $1,100 to be replaced (and that was in 2019). Got a call from a gentleman who said he could do it and not cause harm to the tint on the front window.

He repaired the windshield and I could not tell where the cracks were.

Cost me $65 and saved me tons.

Sold the car 2 1/2 years later and the windshield was still looking good.

6 years of driving a Model S over 115k miles = 0 damaged windshields.
5 months of driving a model 3 less than 5k miles = 1 damaged windshield.
3 more months of driving a model 3 less than 1k additional miles = second damaged windshield

TLDR; 115k miles on model S = 0 windshields replaced, <7k miles on model 3 = 2 windshields replaced.

Thanks Michigan!

6 years of driving a Model S over 115k miles = 0 damaged windshields.
5 months of driving a model 3 less than 5k miles = 1 damaged windshield.
3 more months of driving a model 3 less than 1k additional miles = second damaged windshield

TLDR; 115k miles on model S = 0 windshields replaced, <7k miles on model 3 = 2 windshields replaced.

Thanks Michigan!

It just might be that Model 3's attract small stones

Reactions: OldPro
I'm having an issue with getting the actual windshield to replace my cracked windshield. My windshield cracked last month and I called State Farm about getting it replaced. I'm in Florida, so it's a free replacement. State Farm tries to get me to go thru Safelite, which definitely would not be my choice, but fine. Safelite informs me that they get their glass directly from Tesla, so they'd have to order it... It's been over a month now and I'm still waiting. I tried to go directly thru Tesla in the Orlando area and they directed me to Safelite as well.

I wasn't sure if there's a huge shortage of Tesla windshields or what the exact case may be. However, it sucks driving around with a crack halfway across your windshield for an extended period of time...

I'm having an issue with getting the actual windshield to replace my cracked windshield. My windshield cracked last month and I called State Farm about getting it replaced. I'm in Florida, so it's a free replacement. State Farm tries to get me to go thru Safelite, which definitely would not be my choice, but fine. Safelite informs me that they get their glass directly from Tesla, so they'd have to order it... It's been over a month now and I'm still waiting. I tried to go directly thru Tesla in the Orlando area and they directed me to Safelite as well.

I wasn't sure if there's a huge shortage of Tesla windshields or what the exact case may be. However, it sucks driving around with a crack halfway across your windshield for an extended period of time...
That's frustrating!! I'm insured with Tesla and I'm taking it to Tesla in two days. They're doing all of this and its been just over 2 weeks since I submitted the claim. I hope it goes well.

Reactions: J Tremain
I’ve had my 2022 model
3 since December 2021. In the first week, I had a massive crack streak across the window. I could see the impact of any chip, took it to Tesla and they said that there was an impact spot. I honestly found it hard to believe a chip the size of a pin head caused the entire screen to crack. But if that’s the case, Im was pretty disappointed. Im
Told there’s a wait on a windshield and so I take the car and drive for another month before a screen is available. During that time, there’s 6 more chips in the screen. These ones I saw and heard the rocks hit. They were tiny rocks, but they cracked the screen easily. I got them repaired and took it back to Tesla for the new screen. I got the new screen put in and just 5 days later, we get another crack in the new screen. We get that repaired, 2 weeks later we get another chip. The insurance company now calls asking how can we have so many chips in a screen and questions me about fraud because I got them all replaced at the same location. They’d never heard of so many chips in a screen ever. It’s been 2 months since we got the window replaced and we now have a further 5 chips in the screen. It’s $500 deductible each time to replace the screen in Utah and a $1000 a screen. I have good insurance and a perfect driving record. Going through the forums, this is clearly a quality issue they need to address. Talking to the service centre desk staff, and they just play dumb to the question. The mechanic though said he’d seen the same thing happening a lot and didn’t know the solution. I think Tesla needs to resolve this or warranty it.

I’ve had my 2022 model
3 since December 2021. In the first week, I had a massive crack streak across the window. I could see the impact of any chip, took it to Tesla and they said that there was an impact spot. I honestly found it hard to believe a chip the size of a pin head caused the entire screen to crack. But if that’s the case, Im was pretty disappointed. Im
Told there’s a wait on a windshield and so I take the car and drive for another month before a screen is available. During that time, there’s 6 more chips in the screen. These ones I saw and heard the rocks hit. They were tiny rocks, but they cracked the screen easily. I got them repaired and took it back to Tesla for the new screen. I got the new screen put in and just 5 days later, we get another crack in the new screen. We get that repaired, 2 weeks later we get another chip. The insurance company now calls asking how can we have so many chips in a screen and questions me about fraud because I got them all replaced at the same location. They’d never heard of so many chips in a screen ever. It’s been 2 months since we got the window replaced and we now have a further 5 chips in the screen. It’s $500 deductible each time to replace the screen in Utah and a $1000 a screen. I have good insurance and a perfect driving record. Going through the forums, this is clearly a quality issue they need to address. Talking to the service centre desk staff, and they just play dumb to the question. The mechanic though said he’d seen the same thing happening a lot and didn’t know the solution. I think Tesla needs to resolve this or warranty it.
It has to do with the debris on the roads that you drive. I had more windshields in my Toyota Prius than any other vehicle. I always make sure I get the $0 deductible for glass coverage on all my vehicles. It only costs $10 (Tesla insurance) a month and it's worth it since we replace at least one windshield a year here in AZ.

I’ve had my 2022 model
See if your Insurance Company offers "Glass Deductible Waiver". At this point, they'll most likely not offer it to you for future breaks/