Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield crack issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my 2022 model
3 since December 2021. In the first week, I had a massive crack streak across the window. I could see the impact of any chip, took it to Tesla and they said that there was an impact spot. I honestly found it hard to believe a chip the size of a pin head caused the entire screen to crack. But if that’s the case, Im was pretty disappointed. Im
Told there’s a wait on a windshield and so I take the car and drive for another month before a screen is available. During that time, there’s 6 more chips in the screen. These ones I saw and heard the rocks hit. They were tiny rocks, but they cracked the screen easily. I got them repaired and took it back to Tesla for the new screen. I got the new screen put in and just 5 days later, we get another crack in the new screen. We get that repaired, 2 weeks later we get another chip. The insurance company now calls asking how can we have so many chips in a screen and questions me about fraud because I got them all replaced at the same location. They’d never heard of so many chips in a screen ever. It’s been 2 months since we got the window replaced and we now have a further 5 chips in the screen. It’s $500 deductible each time to replace the screen in Utah and a $1000 a screen. I have good insurance and a perfect driving record. Going through the forums, this is clearly a quality issue they need to address. Talking to the service centre desk staff, and they just play dumb to the question. The mechanic though said he’d seen the same thing happening a lot and didn’t know the solution. I think Tesla needs to resolve this or warranty it.
Windshield, right? Are the cracks in the same place, which might indicate a stress point. Anyhow, the 3 suffers more chips from road debris being kicked up for a couple reasons: one, it's got a bigger windshield, and two, it's got a low nose. So, bigger windshield means it's a bigger target for debris, and because it's got a low nose, it means more debris have an unimpeded path to the windshield. More hits, equals more cracks.

It's important to give plenty of room to other vehicles, particularly those that look like they may kick up debris. If nothing works, you may want to consider one of those places that sell windshield laminates. And, if that's not a good option, you may want to sell and buy something a little taller. A Y, presumably gets less debris hitting the windshield than a 3. Perhaps, check the Y forums to see if it's a problem there, too.

I'd like to start by saying we love our 2022 Model 3, which we picked up new just before the end of 2021.

Unfortunately the other day as I was driving around 60 mph on the highway, I heard a tink sound on the windshield.
Initially I did not see any small hole in the windshield or anything at all, but about 2 days later, I saw a crack in the windshield from the top
middle starting to creep down the windshield.
So I made an appointment at the local Tesla Service Center, and they were able to replace the windshield in about 5 hours, but for a cost of $900, as the windshield, tires, and at least one other thing was not covered under warranty :-(
This expense was pretty irritating after having this Model 3 just a little over 3 months.
Interestingly, while I was paying for the windshield, there were 2 other customers waiting for their Tesla service to complete, and both of them also had to replace a cracked windshield. So that was 3 customers in the Tesla service center, all 3 replacing expensive windshields!

I love the quality of the Tesla, and the engineering behind the Model 3 is quite ingenous, but isn't there a higher quality, high-impact resistant tempered glass that Tesla could use for all their Tesla's windshields?

I would gladly pay $500 - $1,000 more for a new Tesla with a windshield that would be much harder to crack :)
Add Glass Replacement to your Insurance Policy. Considering all the glass in our 2018 M3 and now 2 windshield replacements, it was a good addition to our policy. Not expensive to add, I think we had a $50 deductible?

This Tesla windshield issue may be a bigger problem than we think. I've had two cracked windshields on the Model 3 in the last three months.

I'm a consultant and work with a lot of small fleet owners such as couriers, food delivery, trucks, limos, taxi and rideshare fleets, particularly Hertz who has a cozy partnership with Tesla and Uber. I've noticed that glass repairmen visit Hertz-Uber facilities for Teslas quite more often than any other vehicle. I have clients that complain the windshields of Tesla's don't just chip, but expand into these long 12-18 inch cracks in a matter of hours even just while sitting in the parking lot.

My last windshield incident, I didn't even realize something happened until I walked outside today and saw a 13-14 inch crack from the frame toward the center on the driver's side. The weird part is that that was almost the identical crack in the windshield I had a month and a half ago, but on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Coincendence or no?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I have had my 3 for over 3 years and only had one crack on the windshield that was repairable . I have owned 8 cars so far and I don’t feel that the Tesla is any worse or better than my others. I think cracks are completely random and I don’t believe the car design or glass has anything to do with it. My 2 cents.

60k miles in Montana with my 2019 M3P, mostly interstate and a fair amount of dirt/gravel roads, both where the rocks constantly sling by, and now my first windshield crack. Windshields all crack in Montana, it's just a thing. 60k crack-free miles is more than I have gotten with any other car. Lot of windshield hits and paint chips but the first expanded/expanding crack. So for me, the Tesla windshield has been tougher than most. But like running over a nail it's as much luck as anything.