Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield Replacement - Extra $600 charge to recalibrate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that is because is a liability issue. In case you get into a car accident and because of the recalibration. But at the same time I feel like they don't realize that Tesla have an option to recalibrate the sensor by user just by driving the car. So overall I say is just that they aren't fully aware of that.
unless the system is fully autocalibrated the AP won;t work. so there's no risk there. not calibrated? AP won;t work.

You want the blinkers to work, don't you?

2022-06-1712.51.308433636576063662490.jpg

I think this was the answer:

I'd avoid that place like the plague. Took my wife's Ford Explorer to "Safelite Repair, Safelite Replace" (God what a stupid jingle!) a couple years ago when it needed a windshield replacement. It took them three attempts to do it. The first time when the tech come to our house to do it, there was a gap in the side you could stick your finger through. It was a complete joke and the tech admitted he had never replaced an Explorer windshield before. We then took it to their facility and they shattered the new windshield trying to put it in. It had to stay there for a couple days until they could get a third windshield because they didn't have any more in stock. Then they supposedly had their best technician install it. It looked fine, but about a month later, when my wife drove it in a rain storm, water started pouring down on her from the top of the windshield. They then paid for the local Ford dealer to replace it.

If they can't replace a windshield on a common vehicle like a Ford Explorer, there is no way in hell I would take my Tesla there.

Reactions: BigNick
Having to have my 2nd windshield replacement for my 2020 Model 3 LR with FSD.

Same company replaced the windshield last year.

Now, this company insists on adding a $600 charge to recalibrate the cameras. I asked why charge this now when they didn't last time..the answer is that they now have software that can do it. I explained that Model 3 has a driver option to recalibrate, but they refuse to replace the windshield unless I pad the additional $600 fee.

Can a nationally known auto glass company have software to calibrate the Model 3 without the 10-50km of driving? Is the company's recalibration recommended by Tesla over the driver?

If anyone has information on this, I would really appreciate the feedback.
Take it to the Tesla Service Center. With (2) windshield replacements the Service Center DID NOT charge me either time.

Having to have my 2nd windshield replacement for my 2020 Model 3 LR with FSD.

Same company replaced the windshield last year.

Now, this company insists on adding a $600 charge to recalibrate the cameras. I asked why charge this now when they didn't last time..the answer is that they now have software that can do it. I explained that Model 3 has a driver option to recalibrate, but they refuse to replace the windshield unless I pad the additional $600 fee.

Can a nationally known auto glass company have software to calibrate the Model 3 without the 10-50km of driving? Is the company's recalibration recommended by Tesla over the driver?

If anyone has information on this, I would really appreciate the feedback.
Wow. I paid $1,200 yesterday to replace my 2021 M3 long range with a local company and then I pressed the re-callibration button on my screen and within about 15 minutes of driving it finished. That company sounds crooked charging $600 for pressing that same button that the owner can press.

Wow. I paid $1,200 yesterday to replace my 2021 M3 long range with a local company and then I pressed the re-callibration button on my screen and within about 15 minutes of driving it finished. That company sounds crooked charging $600 for pressing that same button that the owner can press.

I looked into this in the service manual and the calibration process goes far beyond just pressing the button. There are targets that get setup to which the system is calibrated. So keep an eye on things, hopefully the camera was installed close enough to specs so the re-calibration was all that is needed.

If they were going to follow the procedure in the service manual then they were not crooked.

You can get a free subscription to the service manual by going here: service.tesla.com

Mobile service was at my house a few weeks ago for something unrelated but I had just got a nice chip/crack in the windshield from a rock on the interstate that I actually sealed pretty nicely with those $10 kits. But I asked the mobile service guy about getting the windshield replace if needed anyways (free through insurance here in SC), and he noted the service center could do it and that actually Safelite can now do it in my area as well. I by chance asked about calibration and he said something along the lines of "oh yeah you definitely have to do that but Safelite can do it now also." So take it FWIW, I would likely stick with the service center anyways if you can.

Pkmmte, Stanwood Steve, mpgxsvcd and 2 othersTake it to the Tesla Service Center. With (2) windshield replacements the Service Center DID NOT charge me either time.
Having my 3rd windshield replaced soon. Scheduled at Tesla - Put claim in online with USAA (they prefer safelite, but they don't calibrate). USAA allows you to book with Tesla and will forward paperwork to them. I used the app and had them call me, since it doesn't have Tesla as option in app. When they call it is 5-7 minutes on phone....told them I had appt at Tesla and they sent paperwork to them. Will keep you posted as to wheterh I pay and get reimbursed or they pay direct....in past I paid and submitted. I am in Florida.

Reactions: julit0
Sounds like a money grab, "Tesla Tax", to me......

Just sayin.....

Having my 3rd windshield replaced soon. Scheduled at Tesla - Put claim in online with USAA (they prefer safelite, but they don't calibrate). USAA allows you to book with Tesla and will forward paperwork to them. I used the app and had them call me, since it doesn't have Tesla as option in app. When they call it is 5-7 minutes on phone....told them I had appt at Tesla and they sent paperwork to them. Will keep you posted as to wheterh I pay and get reimbursed or they pay direct....in past I paid and submitted. I am in Florida.

Kind of off topic but still the same....

We are replacing our Porsche Macan's windshield and Porsche stated that a calibration would be needed to the tune of ...WAIT FOR IT.....

$1000.00 !

Sorry....with our Macan it simply looks at the lanes to use departure warning. I followed up and they stated a 4 wheel alignment is required as well. But wait it gets better....WE JUST HAD all the tires replaced and an alignment at the dealership three months ago. The cost for the alignment at Porsche was $300. Ok I get it....pay the "P" tax but to have it redone to have a windshield replaced IMHO is not correct.

With a Tesla...not knowing much as we are expecting delivery here in the next month...I do not know how the front camera works with the windshield.

What we elected to do is simply replace the glass on our Porsche and see how things turn out. If, and ONLY if, we notice a difference we MAY take it back to Porsche for the "calibration".

@SFLKiting Let me know your experiences with USAA. We elected not to go with them for the Porsche replacement as we have the highest deductible but would like to know if you had some sort of a glass policy with them. USAA customer since 1984 so curious if I need or should add that. Regards!

Kind of off topic but still the same....

We are replacing our Porsche Macan's windshield and Porsche stated that a calibration would be needed to the tune of ...WAIT FOR IT.....

$1000.00 !

Sorry....with our Macan it simply looks at the lanes to use departure warning. I followed up and they stated a 4 wheel alignment is required as well. But wait it gets better....WE JUST HAD all the tires replaced and an alignment at the dealership three months ago. The cost for the alignment at Porsche was $300. Ok I get it....pay the "P" tax but to have it redone to have a windshield replaced IMHO is not correct.

With a Tesla...not knowing much as we are expecting delivery here in the next month...I do not know how the front camera works with the windshield.

What we elected to do is simply replace the glass on our Porsche and see how things turn out. If, and ONLY if, we notice a difference we MAY take it back to Porsche for the "calibration".

@SFLKiting Let me know your experiences with USAA. We elected not to go with them for the Porsche replacement as we have the highest deductible but would like to know if you had some sort of a glass policy with them. USAA customer since 1984 so curious if I need or should add that. Regards!
In Florida Glass is covered, so no deductible otherwise it would be 1,000. I think Tesla windshield and calibration is close to 1275 or so. Calibaration has to do more with auto driving within lane and all the safety features......lane departure, anticipation of accident and airbag deployment etc. Airbags in Tesla are more sophisticated than most. I know Porsche maintenance is always costly....I traded a Macan S that I tuned for the Performance Y 2 years ago. I love the Tesla and it hauls.

In Florida Glass is covered, so no deductible otherwise it would be 1,000. I think Tesla windshield and calibration is close to 1275 or so. Calibaration has to do more with auto driving within lane and all the safety features......lane departure, anticipation of accident and airbag deployment etc. Airbags in Tesla are more sophisticated than most. I know Porsche maintenance is always costly....I traded a Macan S that I tuned for the Performance Y 2 years ago. I love the Tesla and it hauls.

Ill Give USAA a call and see what is up with that. I figured as much with the Tesla systems. Yeah for performance I love our 996 TT but it took me a couple of years and multiple thousands of dollars to get to about 3.5 zero to sixty and other things for track days. LOVE its sound and performance on the track but with the click of a button on the Tesla App you can get similar performance in a STRAIGHT line for 2k....what is not to love about that!

I had my windshield replace at the Tesla service center here in SoCal due to a rock hitting it. total cost was $932 in September of 2021. Calibration was included at this price. One side note, it did take a couple of days for everything to work correctly. I guess things needed to dry out in the senor housing after mounting.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
The last time I had a windshield replaced at safelite they told me the camera's on my wife's subaru might not work with the windshield they are putting in and figured I would be ok with that. I wasn't. They also left clips out on the plastic cowl and my wife found out the hard way they kinked her windshield washer hose driving a couple days later on a grimy day when the sun hit her windshield and nothing happened when she tried to use the washers. I was not impressed with the entire process.

Good luck. If Tesla tries to charge you for recalibration tell them you heard on this forum that the San Diego Tesla shop charges NADA!

To add to this, I just had my windshield replaced in the SF Bay Area, and there was a line item for $313 for calibration (camera I assume) with a note: "Includes Test drive for Auto Pilot".

It does seem extreme, but from this page:

It states the following:
CAUTION
If a windshield replacement is needed, take your vehicle to Tesla Service. This ensures appropriate handling and mounting of the camera(s). Failure to do so can cause one or more Autopilot features to malfunction.

But, on that same page, everything calibration related seems to show that it can be done automatically by the car.

I'm asking Tesla through the service chat to see if the shop really needed to do the calibration and charge me for it.

Well, I just heard back from Tesla service. They say that calibration will happen automatically after driving 50 miles after the windshield is replaced, and that I should reach out to the repair center to clarify exactly what was done in the name of calibration.