Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield Replacement - Extra $600 charge to recalibrate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To add to this, I just had my windshield replaced in the SF Bay Area, and there was a line item for $313 for calibration (camera I assume) with a note: "Includes Test drive for Auto Pilot".

It does seem extreme, but from this page:

It states the following:
CAUTION
If a windshield replacement is needed, take your vehicle to Tesla Service. This ensures appropriate handling and mounting of the camera(s). Failure to do so can cause one or more Autopilot features to malfunction.

But, on that same page, everything calibration related seems to show that it can be done automatically by the car.

I'm asking Tesla through the service chat to see if the shop really needed to do the calibration and charge me for it.
Maybe that's something new to cover their butts in regards to Autopilot?

Well, I just heard back from Tesla service. They say that calibration will happen automatically after driving 50 miles after the windshield is replaced, and that I should reach out to the repair center to clarify exactly what was done in the name of calibration.
yup. same with my car when i got a new windshield at the SC in 2019. and think about it... with the camera sensors having a set spot on the windshield and the windshield itself can only be installed with maybe 2-4mm variance... how much offset is there really demanding a complicated recalibration manually? Camera being 2-4mm off isn't going to magically alter the field of view for the camera.

Camera being 2-4mm off isn't going to magically alter the field of view for the camera.
Couldn't it though? Since the 2-4mm is right up next to the camera, and the camera is looking 6-20ish (or further) feet ahead, it seems like a small glass adjustment right next to the lense could make quite a difference to the end result camera footage.

I don't have a degree in camera-ology though, just thinking out loud.

After talking with the shop, honestly I'm not sure who's right, but the shop is adamant that some type of calibration had to be done by them prior to the 50 miles of driving - although they did not elaborate on the specifics. This is a shop about a block away from a service center, with people working there that have worked at Tesla - read into that however you want to.

I'd avoid that place like the plague. Took my wife's Ford Explorer to "Safelite Repair, Safelite Replace" (God what a stupid jingle!) a couple years ago when it needed a windshield replacement. It took them three attempts to do it. The first time when the tech come to our house to do it, there was a gap in the side you could stick your finger through. It was a complete joke and the tech admitted he had never replaced an Explorer windshield before.
Was the replacement windshield made by the same automotive glass company as the original windshield?

I had a windshield replaced by Safelite on a previous car and it was fine. The original and replacement windshield were both from Fuyao. The only noticeable difference was that the replacement windshield did not have the car company's branding on it that the original windshield had.

It's really too bad so many Tesla owners have gotten so many different answers in regards to recalibration of the front facing camera after windshield replacement. Both from the Tesla Service Centers and otherwise. In addition the cost that some are paying.
Speaking from experience, I have had (2) windshields replaced on my wife's 2018 Model 3. Both times by the same glass shop that the Tesla Service Center uses. Both times I was informed by the glass shop that the forward camera needed to be recalibrated, both times I took the Model 3 to the Tesla Service Center in San Diego and BOTH TIMES there was no charge. Zip, Zilch, Nada $$$$

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Now that I have the car back with the glass replaced, I tried autopilot and the car seemed to hug the right side of the lane. It did it to the point where I was not comfortable using it (this was within the first 25 miles of getting it back). The next time I tried it (now with about 50 miles on it), the problem appears to have resolved itself. My guess is the shop does some initial calibration when first installing the glass, and the car does some additional calibration after some initial driving.

Now that I have the car back with the glass replaced, I tried autopilot and the car seemed to hug the right side of the lane. It did it to the point where I was not comfortable using it (this was within the first 25 miles of getting it back). The next time I tried it (now with about 50 miles on it), the problem appears to have resolved itself. My guess is the shop does some initial calibration when first installing the glass, and the car does some additional calibration after some initial driving.
If you are comfortable with a "guess"? How far is the closest Tesla Service Center to where you live. If within a reasonable driving distance, pop in and ask them about the need for a recalibration and if any cost. I don't have autopilot but BOTH times we have replaced the windshield on our M3 we were specifically instructed by the glass shop (Heckman Glass in San Diego) that recalibration was needed. BOTH times Tesla recalibrated for free.

Same situation here. I actually called the service center to make an appointment to come back the next morning to fix this (I had picked up the car right at closing). The next morning, it had already resolved itself.

Having to have my 2nd windshield replacement for my 2020 Model 3 LR with FSD.

Same company replaced the windshield last year.

Now, this company insists on adding a $600 charge to recalibrate the cameras. I asked why charge this now when they didn't last time..the answer is that they now have software that can do it. I explained that Model 3 has a driver option to recalibrate, but they refuse to replace the windshield unless I pad the additional $600 fee.

Can a nationally known auto glass company have software to calibrate the Model 3 without the 10-50km of driving? Is the company's recalibration recommended by Tesla over the driver?

If anyone has information on this, I would really appreciate the feedback.
Both times I've had a windshield replaced on my wife's 2018 Model 3, the Tesla Service center recalibrated for nothing.

Got windshield replaced this AM. Not sure if I need professional or just self calibrate using the menu. Just AP and don't need it everyday so I can wait. Guy said "insurance pays" but I don't want to jack up rates if it's EZ DIY and we have great lane marking around me too.

Now if I have HVAC issues I would, but he said they don't do that

Manual:
Ff a camera has shifted from its calibrated position (for example, the camera or windshield was replaced), you must clear the calibration. To do so, touch Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration. When the calibration is cleared, Model 3 repeats the calibration process. While this helps re-calibrate the cameras in many cases, Clear Calibration may not resolve all camera and sensor concerns.

Note
To calibrate, cameras require highly-visible lane markings in both the driving lane and adjacent lanes (at least two lanes over on each side of the vehicle). For best results, drive in the middle lane of a multi-lane highway (ideally with at least five lanes) that has clear lane markings and minimal traffic.
Note
If you attempt to use a feature that is not available until the calibration process is complete, the feature is disabled and the touchscreen displays a message.

Last edited:
Again I ask, what is the name of this company? Maybe somebody else that has dealt with this company can confirm or deny that practice.
The only "nationally known glass replacement company" that I know of is Safelite.
I've had windshields replaced by them in the past. No bullshit charges. This seems new.
The last windshield replaced was at the Tesla service center. No bullshit charges. (Also, got a 50% discount since I have Tesla insurance.)

Reactions: cmy4x4
Any thing to physically check for the replacement is done, other than the calibrate option? Also wondering why people are taking it into SC if calibration is DIY

My others cars aren't computers :)

Update: tried self calibrate. The progress circle seems stuck @ 99% after about 20 miles of well marked lanes.

Guess i'll call the Complete Calibrations guy if it doesn't go away. Their sales pitch was they have some special hardware that you can't DIY.??

I think you're going to waste your dollars. Give it a day or two.

Yes that's why I'm posting here 1st. I can wait w/o AP, if it takes a few days as long as the safety systems are working.

I should add that USAA is paying for all this and it's supposed to be no fault, but I'd rather DIY if it's just a matter of waiting. Anyone have a better mileage estimate with well lined roads. Car says up to 100 miles! ? It didn't take that long when I drove new car home the 1st time

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Note
To calibrate, cameras require highly-visible lane markings in both the driving lane and adjacent lanes (at least two lanes over on each side of the vehicle). For best results, drive in the middle lane of a multi-lane highway (ideally with at least five lanes) that has clear lane markings and minimal traffic.

Not sure I’ve ever driven on a highway with 5 lanes going in the same direction.

Reactions: XPsionic