Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had a stone hit my windshield on my Model 3 and crack it. I filed an insurance claim and they recomended Safelite. I called Tesla to verify and was told that they now use Safelite to replace auto glass. It has been two weeks since Safelite requested a new windshield from Tesla and they have not been given a timeline when one will be avaialble. Has anyone else run into this issue?

I had my back glass crack about 5 weeks ago. Tesla said they had them in stock (the back glass), but couldn’t get me scheduled for 3 weeks. Then they told me that the back glass that came in was damaged while being shipped, so had to order another one. It came in last Friday and will have it installed on Thursday. Seems like a long time, but that’s part of owning this car. I still love it though!

I'm in SoCal as well and was told by Safelite they cannot order Tesla windshields, nor can they perform the installations as the camera and sensor adjustments need to be done only by Tesla. The price quoted by Tesla was insane, so no thank you.

Fortunately, my crack/chip was small enough to be repaired by resin. While not ideal, the repair is approx 85% to where the chip/crack is barely noticeable.

I'm in SoCal as well and was told by Safelite they cannot order Tesla windshields, nor can they perform the installations as the camera and sensor adjustments need to be done only by Tesla. The price quoted by Tesla was insane, so no thank you.

Fortunately, my crack/chip was small enough to be repaired by resin. While not ideal, the repair is approx 85% to where the chip/crack is barely noticeable.

Windshield pricing is always going to be the same (Safelite or Tesla) since they all come from Tesla at the moment. Only delta might be in the installation cost, but as noted the camera/sensor adjustments can only be done by people qualified to do that. In ATX the body shops are apparently capable of doing this...

• Informative
Reactions: WallyP
I had my windshield replaced for a stone crack in January on my P3D. Scheduled service was 2 weeks out, but once they got me in they replaced it in 2 days. Houston, TX, Westchase service center. $1250. Free windshield replacements are not required under Texas law, so unless you have a luxury insurance policy, windshield replacements are covered under comprehensive coverage and subject to deductible. My deductible is high, so I paid out of pocket.

Took my M3D to Safelite Sarasota. I have a small chip with 1/2" crack. They couldn't do a resin repair because they said the chip had already been repaired. Only suggestion was to replace windshield and they won't replace it because of prior ordering issues and communication issues they have had with Tesla. If (when) it gets worse, I'll try a Safelite shop in Tampa. There is a Telsa service center in Tampa and Safelite may have a better working relationship (and more experience) working with Tesla.

Took my M3D to Safelite Sarasota. I have a small chip with 1/2" crack. They couldn't do a resin repair because they said the chip had already been repaired. Only suggestion was to replace windshield and they won't replace it because of prior ordering issues and communication issues they have had with Tesla. If (when) it gets worse, I'll try a Safelite shop in Tampa. There is a Telsa service center in Tampa and Safelite may have a better working relationship (and more experience) working with Tesla.
The mobile repair here in western NY SAID safelite would not do Tesla windshields.

My windshield was replaced at the Littleton, Colorado SC a week ago and they said that as of a month ago Tesla no longer does the windshield replacements, the work is outsourced.

Not sure if it's outsourced to Safelite or someone else.

They also commented that they are having a lot of problems with these 3rd party windshield replacements.

My windshield was replaced at the Littleton, Colorado SC a week ago and they said that as of a month ago Tesla no longer does the windshield replacements, the work is outsourced.

Not sure if it's outsourced to Safelite or someone else.

They also commented that they are having a lot of problems with these 3rd party windshield replacements.
I just got mine done at Safelite in Thornton Colorado with no issues. They've done a few Teslas already and knew what to do. It only took a couple days to get the windshield from Tesla. After reading here and elsewhere, I was worried but the experience was not bad at all.

I just got mine done at Safelite in Thornton Colorado with no issues. They've done a few Teslas already and knew what to do. It only took a couple days to get the windshield from Tesla. After reading here and elsewhere, I was worried but the experience was not bad at all.

Well, I noticed when washing the car yesterday that there's a sizable piece of white fuzz that has been trapped between the new windshield and the camera module.

I don't imagine there's a way to get it out without removing the camera module which is I'm sure a full on service call PITA.

Just not impressed with Safelite.

I just picked up a ding the size of a silver dollar on the bottom/left windshield corner of my M3D. I have Geico and filed a claim using the app - zero out of pocket and they scheduled the repair with Safelite for me in 3 days. Guess I'll see how this goes..