TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Windshield Replacement

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by electriceye, Feb 18, 2019.

1. electriceye

electriceye New Member

I recently had a stone hit my windshield on my Model 3 and crack it. I filed an insurance claim and they recomended Safelite. I called Tesla to verify and was told that they now use Safelite to replace auto glass. It has been two weeks since Safelite requested a new windshield from Tesla and they have not been given a timeline when one will be avaialble. Has anyone else run into this issue?

2. MacGreiner

I believe @ryanjm is having the same issue.

• Like x 1
  3. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

If Safelite actually do provide Tesla glass now, I can tell you the wait time I've heard is ~3 weeks for parts in Texas. No idea if it's any different in Florida.

4. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

Wait time for me was also 3 weeks in South California.

5. electriceye

electriceye New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I’m surprised it is this long.

6. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

I'm pushing a month now here in the Bay Area. No updates. Just silence...and a nice big crack across my driver's eye line.

7. km-nm

km-nm Member

Here in New Mexico, we have been waiting 1 month and 3 days, and still no word at all when the windshield will be available. :(

8. Pgetzen

Pgetzen Member

I had my back glass crack about 5 weeks ago. Tesla said they had them in stock (the back glass), but couldn’t get me scheduled for 3 weeks. Then they told me that the back glass that came in was damaged while being shipped, so had to order another one. It came in last Friday and will have it installed on Thursday. Seems like a long time, but that’s part of owning this car. I still love it though!

9. WallyP

WallyP Member

I'm in SoCal as well and was told by Safelite they cannot order Tesla windshields, nor can they perform the installations as the camera and sensor adjustments need to be done only by Tesla. The price quoted by Tesla was insane, so no thank you.

Fortunately, my crack/chip was small enough to be repaired by resin. While not ideal, the repair is approx 85% to where the chip/crack is barely noticeable.

10. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

Windshield pricing is always going to be the same (Safelite or Tesla) since they all come from Tesla at the moment. Only delta might be in the installation cost, but as noted the camera/sensor adjustments can only be done by people qualified to do that. In ATX the body shops are apparently capable of doing this...

• Informative x 1
  11. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

So no one in this thread is getting anywhere with their windshield replacement (glad to hear your back glass is scheduled, @Pgetzen)? It's been over 6 weeks for me now. Sounds like this might be a wider supplier issue?

12. Pgetzen

Pgetzen Member

The back glass (not windshield) was installed last week and all looks good. They did tell me that Safelite did the installation and that they are getting better/faster at doing them.

13. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I had my windshield replaced for a stone crack in January on my P3D. Scheduled service was 2 weeks out, but once they got me in they replaced it in 2 days. Houston, TX, Westchase service center. $1250. Free windshield replacements are not required under Texas law, so unless you have a luxury insurance policy, windshield replacements are covered under comprehensive coverage and subject to deductible. My deductible is high, so I paid out of pocket.

14. km-nm

km-nm Member

We're now up to a month and a half.

15. fwiw

fwiw Member

Took my M3D to Safelite Sarasota. I have a small chip with 1/2" crack. They couldn't do a resin repair because they said the chip had already been repaired. Only suggestion was to replace windshield and they won't replace it because of prior ordering issues and communication issues they have had with Tesla. If (when) it gets worse, I'll try a Safelite shop in Tampa. There is a Telsa service center in Tampa and Safelite may have a better working relationship (and more experience) working with Tesla.

16. jlghertner

jlghertner Member

The mobile repair here in western NY SAID safelite would not do Tesla windshields.

17. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

My windshield was replaced at the Littleton, Colorado SC a week ago and they said that as of a month ago Tesla no longer does the windshield replacements, the work is outsourced.

Not sure if it's outsourced to Safelite or someone else.

They also commented that they are having a lot of problems with these 3rd party windshield replacements.

18. mmmmwick

mmmmwick New Member

I just got mine done at Safelite in Thornton Colorado with no issues. They've done a few Teslas already and knew what to do. It only took a couple days to get the windshield from Tesla. After reading here and elsewhere, I was worried but the experience was not bad at all.

19. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Well, I noticed when washing the car yesterday that there's a sizable piece of white fuzz that has been trapped between the new windshield and the camera module.

I don't imagine there's a way to get it out without removing the camera module which is I'm sure a full on service call PITA.

Just not impressed with Safelite.

20. DarrylP

DarrylP New Member

I just picked up a ding the size of a silver dollar on the bottom/left windshield corner of my M3D. I have Geico and filed a claim using the app - zero out of pocket and they scheduled the repair with Safelite for me in 3 days. Guess I'll see how this goes..