Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 windshield/roof tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my M3LR and decided to tint it 20% all the way around except he windshield and roof. I got the ceramic tint as it helps keep the heat out. I am wondering if I should tint the windshield 70% or even the roof at 5% as well. I am worried about the halo effect at night and if it will make a big difference in terms of heat since I live in Socal.

I just got my M3LR and decided to tint it 20% all the way around except he windshield and roof. I got the ceramic tint as it helps keep the heat out. I am wondering if I should tint the windshield 70% or even the roof at 5% as well. I am worried about the halo effect at night and if it will make a big difference in terms of heat since I live in Socal.
California won't allow anything but UV clear to be put on the front windshield... except for a couple of inches on the very top of the windshield.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I have ceramic clear tint on my M3 windshield and consider it wasted money. Doesn't really do much for heat mitigation. I think the side windows being tinted helps a bit. The best heat protection is gonna be a windshield shade but I hate fumbling with those.

Legally speaking it's not allowed, but I have never heard of anyone in CA getting pulled over for having tint on the windshield. Unless OP is having an extreme dark tint, I think OP will be just fine with it.
It happens. I've talked to CHP officers who have done it (IIRC, it was for obviously dark tint on the windshield). And if they pull you over for any other reason, they can tack on the tint citation. And given that the windshield added about $200 to my overall tinting charge, it may take some thought to decide if it's worth paying that much extra only to be forced to rip it off.

But if you wanna roll the dice, a darker tint on the windshield would certainly help reduce heat buildup more than clear, IMO.

Legally speaking it's not allowed, but I have never heard of anyone in CA getting pulled over for having tint on the windshield. Unless OP is having an extreme dark tint, I think OP will be just fine with it.
Before leaving Newsomeland, I was given a fix it ticket to remove tint from my windshield, which I did. It's a crapshoot, maybe you'll get pulled over, maybe you won't.

I have ceramic clear tint on my M3 windshield and consider it wasted money. Doesn't really do much for heat mitigation. I think the side windows being tinted helps a bit. The best heat protection is gonna be a windshield shade but I hate fumbling with those.
How does it do for the sun coming directly in front of you? Do you still need sunglasses or put the visor down?

Yeah, I found for parking, tint doesn't do much. It does reduce direct heat on your skin while driving, but in terms of reducing cabin heat when parked, it doesn't do much. The traditional windshield shades work a lot better for this purpose (I also got a roof shade).

I have 35% all around and 70% on my windshield. I wish I had done 20% all around and 50% on the windshield like my RAV4, mostly because the windshield is big enough to still let in a lot of light.

I felt the ceramic tint does help, especially reducing skin heat while driving (as mentioned) and some radiant heat from the black dash, but indeed physical shades do work much better. Installing a semi-permanent roof shade on my center panel saved me about 50wh/mile in mid-summer cooling (95-105 degrees).

**I believe the center roof panel is already ceramic coated so I don’t know if more tiny film will do much. The main issue is that the glass itself gets physically hot from absorbing light, and therefore the glass itself is what is radiating heat down into the cabin. More tint doesn’t change this, but an opaque roof shade with a small air gap makes a huge difference.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I had my car tinted with 15% on the sides rear and roof. I did 70% on the windshield. The windshield is great and the roof is nice because it matches the high part of the rear window in tint. I did have to shut off my auto dim exterior mirrors though because at night between the tint and the dimming the mirrors were a bit dark.

EDIT: As far as ceramic goes it works great for short durations like going into a store but if you park outside all day the heat catches up eventually. I still think its worth it over regular tint just know its not a miracle product.

Bummer Update: Saw a few small tint bubbles after install. EZ to fix or when I replace again?

They said if the bubbles don't go away in a week or so to call back and they'll come out with a heat gun or replace. Maybe I can ask for ceramic or IR then?

Last edited:
I agree. I have it on the windshield and roof and it didn't seem to add to the heat protection I was already getting from the side and partial back IR tent I originally put on.

Bummer Update: Saw a few small tint bubbles after install. EZ to fix or when I replace again?

They said if the bubbles don't go away in a week or so to call back and they'll come out with a heat gun or replace. Maybe I can ask for ceramic or IR then?
I had bubbles in the windshield and they ended up replacing the tint. Had bubbles on the replacement but they were smaller and I just ignored them. By that time I was a bit tired of the installer. Talked like he was God's gift to tinting and ceramic coating but he left screws out in my door and couldn't seem to install a windshield without bubbles.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh