Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 windshield with Toll Pass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking delivery next week of a Model 3. I am turning in my old S. The windshield on my S blocked my sunpass transponder so I had the transponder mounted in the nose cone. Does anyone know if the model 3 windshield also blocks transponders like the S?

• Love
Reactions: jbarnette
Our new mini Fastrak transponder even works on our model 3 when we just leave it inside the center console storage. Couldn't ever get a transponder to work inside the model S no matter where we put it, even the supposed radiation "hole" in the windshield next to the rear view mirror or in the rear window as past threads here recommended.

I am taking delivery next week of a Model 3. I am turning in my old S. The windshield on my S blocked my sunpass transponder so I had the transponder mounted in the nose cone. Does anyone know if the model 3 windshield also blocks transponders like the S?
I asked the same question... apparently even on the Model S they removed that coating in 2015.

No problems with EZ-pass in the designated spot
Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 9.32.04 AM.png

Our new mini Fastrak transponder even works on our model 3 when we just leave it inside the center console storage. Couldn't ever get a transponder to work inside the model S no matter where we put it, even the supposed radiation "hole" in the windshield next to the rear view mirror or in the rear window as past threads here recommended.
How do you know whether it's actually working? From the transaction log online? Or does it beep or something to acknowledge that it worked? I just ordered a flex tag just so I can occasionally drive my Model 3 in the Express lane (I was recently irritated that I was unable to because I didn't have the tag). I'm intrigued that someone said it works even if it's inside the center console as I really don't want to stick it on my windshield. Has anyone tried it stuck to the glass roof?

How do you know whether it's actually working? From the transaction log online? Or does it beep or something to acknowledge that it worked? I just ordered a flex tag just so I can occasionally drive my Model 3 in the Express lane (I was recently irritated that I was unable to because I didn't have the tag). I'm intrigued that someone said it works even if it's inside the center console as I really don't want to stick it on my windshield. Has anyone tried it stuck to the glass roof?

Here in IL there's a blue light bulb at every toll that will light up when you pass through with your transponder.

Best ways to keep these fugly things hidden :

a. paint the transponder flat black using plastidip or paint marker

b. peel back front fender liner and tape, zip-tie the transponder along the bumper skins back surface... maybe above the fog assembly.

Done and done.

Mine is in my glovebox- systems detects it just fine like 95% or more of the time (the other tiny fraction the license plate camera gets it- no difference in billing unless it has to use the cameras more than 15% of the time here)