Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wins Motor Trend comparison test with BMW 3 series and Genesis G70

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first serious Model 3 comparison test, at least that I recall, directly against multiple ICE performance sedans. I’m not surprised that MotorTrend gave the Model 3 the win, being as they’re LA based and generally more open minded to EVs than Michigan-based magazines like Car & Driver. Having the brand-new 330i land in 3rd place should be eye opening for BMW.

And it beat the BMW despite the huge difference between the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on the BMW and the Continental A/S on the M3. Surprised that Tesla didn't put the 4S as standard equipment on the AWD non-P. For that matter, you could have gotten a M3P without AP for less than the Bimmer. But that would have just been piling on (and no one would/should buy that car that way)!

The LR AWD clearly out-gunned the turbo fours here. I wonder how it would have played out with an LR RWD or SR+. That would have been a closer cost-comparison to the G70. Also I wonder if MT had to scrounge around for a Model 3 or if Tesla is actually providing test vehicles now.

The LR AWD clearly out-gunned the turbo fours here. I wonder how it would have played out with an LR RWD or SR+. That would have been a closer cost-comparison to the G70. Also I wonder if MT had to scrounge around for a Model 3 or if Tesla is actually providing test vehicles now.
I am not sure of the criteria for rankings, but a RWD Model 3 was tested by MT previously. It came in with better acceleration numbers than the two competitors but would have been way behind in the figure 8 which might have been enough not to win. Results of figure 8 in seconds: AWD Model 3 24.9, other two 25.2, previously tested RWD Model 3 25.7.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
And it beat the BMW despite the huge difference between the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on the BMW and the Continental A/S on the M3. Surprised that Tesla didn't put the 4S as standard equipment on the AWD non-P. For that matter, you could have gotten a M3P without AP for less than the Bimmer. But that would have just been piling on (and no one would/should buy that car that way)!

I’m not sure about making it standard equipment...but they could offer the 19” option with PS4S tires. That way we don’t see more “tesla awd sucks in the snow” posts from unknowing buyers lol.

Reactions: dfwatt