Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Winter Tire Pressure Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my LR Model 3 in July 2018, all 4 tires were at 46psi.

I just returned from a 2 week vacation...before I left, temps were in the high 80s in the DC area, and tires were all at 46psi.

I returned yesterday, and temps are now in the 27 to 40 or so range. I have warnings about tire pressures: 3 tires are at 40psi and 1 tire is at 39psi AND IN YELLOW CHARACTERS on the screen.

What are the recommended settings for 18” OEM Michelin tires in the mid-Atlantic area in winter?

Thanks, Eric

My experience last winter with my P3D+ and Michelin Alpins on the 20 in wheels was that 42 psi filled around freezing was best. It often drops to 0F here and so then pressure is more like 38-39. I prefer not to let the pressure drop too low lest I damage the rims. Too low a pressure and you hit a pothole you can have a blowout. You can't fill air in tires too easily at 0F.

My experience last winter with my P3D+ and Michelin Alpins on the 20 in wheels was that 42 psi filled around freezing was best. It often drops to 0F here and so then pressure is more like 38-39. I prefer not to let the pressure drop too low lest I damage the rims. Too low a pressure and you hit a pothole you can have a blowout. You can't fill air in tires too easily at 0F.
Ok, thanks.

In the DC area, I have both my summer and winter tires set for 42 PSI, if I am looking for better range then 45 PSI would be the max I would increase them to. I have 19" winter tires Pirelli Sottozero 3 and 20" summer tires that are the OEM Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that came with the Tesla Model 3 Performance.

Reactions: Nightdown_fox
Why not keep them at the pressure on the door frame as the manufacturer recommends. BTW, that's what will shut up the alarms.

Occasionally winter tire manufactures will suggest 3 psi higher than what is listed on the door frame, but with Tesla being so high already, 42 to 45 psi is probably fine. (Some Model 3's were built saying 42 psi on the door sticker, some were built saying 45 psi on the door sticker so...)