Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I have a Model 3 Tesla 2021
I see there is a winter tire kit made by tesla

Model 3 18" Aero Wheel and Winter Tire Package

Their refresh version is out of stock, will the prerefresh version work?
Do I have to buy this kit from Tesla can I buy tires/rims from a tire shop. Will this void my warrenty?
Is there anything I should know when buying winter tires for Tesla model 3 2021.

Hi,

Do I have to buy this kit from Tesla can I buy tires/rims from a tire shop. Will this void my warrenty?
Is there anything I should know when buying winter tires for Tesla model 3 2021.
The only reason there's a pre-refresh version and a refresh version is the TPMS sensors are different. The wheel and tire are the same.

I have a Model 3 Tesla 2021. I see there is a winter tire kit made by tesla

You can buy any wheels + tires + TPMS sensors from anywhere, and as long as you are using stock sizes, there is no adverse effect on warranty.
My personal favorite for variety and prices is TireRack:

The only reason there's a pre-refresh version and a refresh version is the TPMS sensors are different. The wheel and tire are the same.

Sorry, but that's incorrect.
Model 3 uses industry standard 433 MHz TPMS sensors.
The following working 100% of the time, and TireRack can pre-install and pre-balance the entire whell+tire+sensor set, and ship them straight to your door (or to your mechanic's door):

You can buy any wheels + tires + TPMS sensors from anywhere, and as long as you are using stock sizes, there is no adverse effect on warranty.
My personal favorite for variety and prices is TireRack:

Sorry, but that's incorrect.
Model 3 uses industry standard 433 MHz TPMS sensors.
The following working 100% of the time, and TireRack can pre-install and pre-balance the entire whell+tire+sensor set, and ship them straight to your door (or to your mechanic's door):

They changed the sensors. Model 3 pre-refresh use the standard 433 MHz. The cars with black trim and new center console use a proprietary Bluetooth based TPMs.

If he buys the pre-refresh wheels the tpms sensors will not work with his car.

I have a 2020 M3LR. I bought it last September. We had a fairly snowy winter, and I never once felt that the all weather Continental tires that came with it were inadequate on snowy roads. I live in a rural, hilly area: lots of curvy, fairly narrow roads. The only thing I did when driving on snowy roads was to reduce the regenerative braking. I even took the car out in the middle of a 12 inch snow fall on some of the hilliest, curviest roads I know. No problems at all. Now, if the roads are ice covered, my all weather tires and any unstudded winter tires will be pretty much useless unless you have chains.

Reactions: Sunny5280
Hi,

Yes there is something you should know. If you are getting winter tires get the best. Nokian Hakkapeliita R3. I had them on my last car and they were unstoppable. C/D did a review a few years ago and found them to be the best with Michelin X-Ice a close second. They are also available in an RFT in case you are paranoid about stuck in a blizzard with a flat tire. The RFTs are quite stiff though. Be warned.

Is it any surprise that the Finns know how to build a snow tire? They seem to have some experience with snow.

Reactions: pnwadventures
Yes there is something you should know. If you are getting winter tires get the best. Nokian Hakkapeliita R3. I had them on my last car and they were unstoppable. C/D did a review a few years ago and found them to be the best with Michelin X-Ice a close second. They are also available in an RFT in case you are paranoid about stuck in a blizzard with a flat tire. The RFTs are quite stiff though. Be warned.

Is it any surprise that the Finns know how to build a snow tire? They seem to have some experience with snow.
If the anyone doesn't want to drop the money on the Nokians I can highly recommend the X-Ice. Had them on my Volt and they were fantastic.

Yes there is something you should know. If you are getting winter tires get the best. Nokian Hakkapeliita R3. I had them on my last car and they were unstoppable.
Just wanted to +1 the above. I’ve been running those tires each winter I’ve had the car (heading into #3 now), and they’re superb. I drive thousands of miles over snowy mountains for winter sports every season.

They changed the sensors. Model 3 pre-refresh use the standard 433 MHz. The cars with black trim and new center console use a proprietary Bluetooth based TPMs.

If he buys the pre-refresh wheels the tpms sensors will not work with his car.

I was just about to post and reply with this same information, but yeah, the 2021s use bluetooth sensors (not industry standard TPMS), so there is a difference (agreeing with you).

Tires they make for EV's ( have had Nokians for years, there is no better one, imho :) Tires for electric cars / Nokian Tires

That's a self-promoting marketing fluff site by Nokian about Nokian. Not particularly informative, or helpful.

Has anyone seen any independent, 3rd party winter tire reviews that include Nokian Hakka R3?
I am not asking out of the blue, as I am actively shopping for two new sets of winter tires, one for my Model 3. And most national chains do not sell Nokia tires, nor do most tire surveys and comparisons include them in their tests.

I did find one comparison test that included both Hakka R3s and Micheline X-Ice (my current set of winters, Blizzak's before that), below.
Hakka R3's did OK, but not all that great:

Reactions: Gasaraki
Yes, I ran Nokian R3s on my Audi A4 quattros for many a snowy winter. I liked them better than the Hakka R extreme winter tires that are Tesla OEM over here. Hakka R are soft and wallowy and don't really seem to work in more moderate temps. But the car felt fast when it chirped all four tires on dry asphalt ;)

I just switched my M3P to 245/35/20 Nokian Snowproofs on a set of Ultraturbines last weekend - so far I've noted that they are about an inch wider (looks great), quiet and pretty normal feeling. Happy so far. Chose these on the back of water and noise ratings; which the Hakka R scores pretty darn poorly on.

That's a self-promoting marketing fluff site by Nokian about Nokian. Not particularly informative, or helpful.

Has anyone seen any independent, 3rd party winter tire reviews that include Nokian Hakka R3?
I am not asking out of the blue, as I am actively shopping for two new sets of winter tires, one for my Model 3. And most national chains do not sell Nokia tires, nor do most tire surveys and comparisons include them in their tests.

I did find one comparison test that included both Hakka R3s and Micheline X-Ice (my current set of winters, Blizzak's before that), below.

C&D did one in 2015 with the R2s. A little dated now but Haakas were the clear winner. I can throw my review in. They are f'ing awesome. Had them on two different cars. Also had Blizzaks once upon a time. Meh. Pretty good but...

C'mon man! Those Finns know a little bit about driving and racing in the snow.

Reactions: afadeev
Currently in an 18 LR in NE Ohio and have not had any issues with the stock all seasons. However, I am considering upgrading to a 21 performance (given the used market/significant offers I've gotten).

2 questions: 1) does everyone definitely recommend a winter set given the performance summer tires and 2) as far as experience with tirerack, do they ship the sets right to you, ready to go and mount yourself?

Really good data here:

I was between the vikingcontact7, R3, and XIce Snow last year. I have R3's on my Subbie Outback and they are just amazing in the ice/snow; I don't think anything is better (I've used almost all of the the main premium and standard 'nordic' snow tires). I went with VikingContact7 for the Model 3 RWD but didn't have too much snow to deal with, it did very well with what it did see. I recently upgraded to a 2021RWD... this year I think I'm just going to run CrossClimate2's year round... if any heavy snow is out, I'll just take the Subbie.

Reactions: afadeev and rpiotro