Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone give me some personal insight on using their Hakka 10's vs 9's? Im debating between the two and I'm not sure which one to get.
[...] I bought a home in Crested Butte that has an incredibly steep driveway. [...] we had snow this past week. [...] my Model 3 slid all the way off the driveway.
[...] I currently have Michelin Cross Climate 2's on my Model 3 and I love them. But I need to put studded tires on.

THAT is your problem right there - you fixed your driveway, but are still driving on crappy all-season tires over snow!
All-season tires suck in all seasons, and they MOST DEFINITEVELY lack traction in snow.

The simplest advise we can give is this - ANY snow tire will be a HUGE improvement over your current set of all-seasons.
Now, the question is - what snow tires would be best for you?

I'm debating between the Hakka 10 or the 9's.
Can anyone help me analyze which one is better for my situation?

Other than your challenging driveway, how do you use your car in the winter?
Venture outside of your immediate area? Drive to ski slopes? Drive on the highways? Go on road trips?

Studs in snow tiers will help you dig into and improve traction over ice packs, but will nothing to improve traction over snow. They will also damage your (and other people's) driveways. Studs also wear out, and require maintenance. Studded tires will also be significantly noisier, to the point of annoying.
More info here:

I live in state where studded tires are outright prohibited on public roads (in CO they are allowed), so no first-hand experience for you.
But I do take my cars to ski resorts all winter long, between NY and Canada, through snow blizzards and poorly plowed roads, for years on end. I've have never felt the need for extra traction beyond what proper winter tires provide. But that's me, with my lifestyle and driving patterns.
I don't know yours.

Otherwise, for ultimate winter traction over fresh and packed snow, pick one of the following:

That's a self-promoting marketing fluff site by Nokian about Nokian. Not particularly informative, or helpful.

Has anyone seen any independent, 3rd party winter tire reviews that include Nokian Hakka R3?
I am not asking out of the blue, as I am actively shopping for two new sets of winter tires, one for my Model 3. And most national chains do not sell Nokia tires, nor do most tire surveys and comparisons include them in their tests.

I did find one comparison test that included both Hakka R3s and Micheline X-Ice (my current set of winters, Blizzak's before that), below.
Hakka R3's did OK, but not all that great:

Hey, thanks for that!

Guys, sorry in advance as it might be repetitive post but couldn't get exactly what I was looking for . Here's my situation :

Got Tesla Model-3, 2021, do I critically need Winter tires if I am not planning to drive in deep snowy area only in GTA and around ?
I got a quote of 2860 CAD from Tesla service center at Mississauga for 18 Inch Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO-3 tires (18 inch). Is it too much ?

What other options I got and if I go with them does it void my Tesla warranty in any ways.

Thanks in advance !
Adi...

Guys, sorry in advance as it might be repetitive post but couldn't get exactly what I was looking for . Here's my situation :

Got Tesla Model-3, 2021, do I critically need Winter tires if I am not planning to drive in deep snowy area only in GTA and around ?
I got a quote of 2860 CAD from Tesla service center at Mississauga for 18 Inch Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO-3 tires (18 inch). Is it too much ?

What other options I got and if I go with them does it void my Tesla warranty in any ways.

Thanks in advance !
Adi...
Critical is a personal decision. Do you like to be able to stop as quickly as possible? Then yes you should have studless snow tires. Seems like a lot of money but if it's the difference between hitting someone and not hitting someone it's worth it in my opinion. Snow tires are leaps and bounds better in winter over all season tires.

$2860 sounds reasonable if they are on rims which they pretty much have to be for that price, and with the BLUETOOTH TMPS installed. If you have a 2021 you HAVE to get Bluetooth TPMS sensors. The previous sensors do not work. But since your quote is from a Tesla service center then you should be OK there.

I'm also assuming you have a SR+ or LR. If you have a performance I would personally recommend 19" wheels/tires for winter even though some 18" rims will barely fit.

Putting on different tires and rims will not void your warranty in any way.

Critical is a personal decision. Do you like to be able to stop as quickly as possible? Then yes you should have studless snow tires. Seems like a lot of money but if it's the difference between hitting someone and not hitting someone it's worth it in my opinion. Snow tires are leaps and bounds better in winter over all season tires.

$2860 sounds reasonable if they are on rims which they pretty much have to be for that price, and with the BLUETOOTH TMPS installed. If you have a 2021 you HAVE to get Bluetooth TPMS sensors. The previous sensors do not work. But since your quote is from a Tesla service center then you should be OK there.

I'm also assuming you have a SR+ or LR. If you have a performance I would personally recommend 19" wheels/tires for winter even though some 18" rims will barely fit.

Putting on different tires and rims will not void your warranty in any way.
Thanks Braumin for your detailed reply ! All valid points , mine is SR+ so 18'' rims for me it seems.
Other than what Tesla offers what other options I can consider.

Will wait to hear from others before taking the final call...

Cheers !
Adi..

Thanks Braumin for your detailed reply ! All valid points , mine is SR+ so 18'' rims for me it seems.
Other than what Tesla offers what other options I can consider.

Will wait to hear from others before taking the final call...

Cheers !
Adi..
I just bought a 19" winter set up, rims, tires (Conti Extreme) and ble TPMS, mounted/balanced from Element Wheels (Custom Wheels and Tires - #1 in Aftermarket Rim & Tire Packages). The website configuration will walk you through rims and tires that fit your Tesla. All in I paid $2,700. You certainly have options, my tires are all season not winter but we don't see that much snow in Philly.

I'm also in Canada. I'm not affiliated with them in any way but I ordered my winter wheel/tire set from PMCTire.com out of Quebec. They also offer the Bluetooth TPMS sensors and although they do cost more to get them there than Tesla, I don't have a local Tesla service center to get them from so I was happy to have them supply and install them for me. Service was great. They have a wizard to show what tires and wheels fit your car and free shipping in Canada.

I got 18" Fast FC04 wheels and Michelin X-Ice Snow tires for my 2021 Model 3 Performance. The 18" barely fit which is why I would say 19" if you have a Performance, but for your SR+ the 18" will fit with no issues since the brakes aren't as big.

I've attached the 2021 Consumer Reports review. They have Michelin X-Ice is the highest rated and well above the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 meeting or beating it in every category but "Ride Comfort".

Attachments

• Tire Ratings & Reviews - Consumer Reports.pdf
    283.2 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: afadeev
I have a 2020 M3LR. I bought it last September. We had a fairly snowy winter, and I never once felt that the all weather Continental tires that came with it were inadequate on snowy roads. I live in a rural, hilly area: lots of curvy, fairly narrow roads. The only thing I did when driving on snowy roads was to reduce the regenerative braking. I even took the car out in the middle of a 12 inch snow fall on some of the hilliest, curviest roads I know. No problems at all. Now, if the roads are ice covered, my all weather tires and any unstudded winter tires will be pretty much useless unless you have chains.
This is really helpful to know. Ottawa Ontario has some similar winter weather and I keep wondering about getting a winter tire set for my new 2022 M3LR. Was thinking of holding off to try the all seasons and see. I get the car next week. I won't be driving in a big storm anyway.

That's a self-promoting marketing fluff site by Nokian about Nokian. Not particularly informative, or helpful.

Has anyone seen any independent, 3rd party winter tire reviews that include Nokian Hakka R3?
I am not asking out of the blue, as I am actively shopping for two new sets of winter tires, one for my Model 3. And most national chains do not sell Nokia tires, nor do most tire surveys and comparisons include them in their tests.

I did find one comparison test that included both Hakka R3s and Micheline X-Ice (my current set of winters, Blizzak's before that), below.
Hakka R3's did OK, but not all that great:

I just went through the Tesla pre owner talk and the rep Gad said he's been driving Teslas for 10 years and he really likes the Nokians. Perhaps we can consider that an independent 3rd party review?

I just went through the Tesla pre owner talk and the rep Gad said he's been driving Teslas for 10 years and he really likes the Nokians. Perhaps we can consider that an independent 3rd party review?
Sorry, but not even close!
At best its hearsay from a sales guy, one of the least trustworthy types of humans out there. ;)

Not to mention that Nokian, like all other tire makers, produces hundreds of tire types and flavors for all conditions. It's highly unlikely that all of them are great. Though some may very well be.

w.r.t. to independents test, Nokian itself lists five (5) self-selected comparisons tests. It finished between 2nd and 4th:

Here is another example of an independent study:

For what it's worth, I've finally installed my newly purchased set of Nokian Hakka R3's on my TM3P, and put away PSS's for the winter. Tires were shipped to my door, and installed on spare set of winter wheels by local Firestone franchise that has done quality work for me in the past.
The next day, temps promptly climbed into high 50s / low 60s. My ride and traction went from firm and fun to floaty and squirmy. Some of that is just the new tread wearing in, some of it is winter tires operating outside of their optimal temperature range. I will defer any conclusions until the temps drop back to where winter tires are supposed to excel.

Currently in an 18 LR in NE Ohio and have not had any issues with the stock all seasons. However, I am considering upgrading to a 21 performance (given the used market/significant offers I've gotten).

2 questions: 1) does everyone definitely recommend a winter set given the performance summer tires and 2) as far as experience with tirerack, do they ship the sets right to you, ready to go and mount yourself?
I'm also in NE Ohio and here looking for winter tires for my M3P. These tires are awful in the winter- as in, dangerous to drive at all. Seems there are very limited winter options for the low profile rear tires. I may have to consider getting 19 inch rims to find more suitable tires.

I'm also in NE Ohio and here looking for winter tires for my M3P. These tires are awful in the winter- as in, dangerous to drive at all. Seems there are very limited winter options for the low profile rear tires. I may have to consider getting 19 inch rims to find more suitable tires.
Definitely preferable to go smaller diameter wheel and get some more sidewall on your tire.

Also a slightly narrower width of wheel and tire will be a benefit in the snow.

I'm running 245/35/20 Nokian Snowproof on the original Ubers and like those much better than the Hakka R variety that is more common around here. Mainly because they are quieter and have more directional stability. The 245s sit pretty much square on the wheel and fill up the arches quite a lot compared to the Pirellis :cool:

It's true that a narrower tire would tend to work better at cutting through really deep snow to find traction, but frankly most people drive on roads somewhat fleared of snow so personally I prefer a stock size tire with good water drainage and noise level rather than all out maximum traction. These cars are absolutely wonderful winter cars btw - miles better than any Audi quattro I ever owned anyways.

Reactions: rpiotro and afadeev
Hi all, I live in the CO Mountains and we have run Nokian Hakka 9 or 10s on all vehicles for years. We recently got a model 3 performance, and I am starting to think about winter tire / wheel packages. Pretty sure I want to stick with the Hakka 10s, and would love to go with a smaller rim than the 20s that come stock. Does anyone know if I can get an 18 on the 3P or do I need to go with a 19?

Hi all, I live in the CO Mountains and we have run Nokian Hakka 9 or 10s on all vehicles for years. We recently got a model 3 performance, and I am starting to think about winter tire / wheel packages. Pretty sure I want to stick with the Hakka 10s, and would love to go with a smaller rim than the 20s that come stock. Does anyone know if I can get an 18 on the 3P or do I need to go with a 19?
Package one out of Tire Rack and It will tell you what rim diameter will work. On my wife's Y performance (21" OEM) I went with 19" and Hakka

There are many 18" wheels that fit the M3P. I think a couple were mentioned in this thread, and I know others are mentioned elsewhere on the forum. Off the top of my head, I know that Tsportsline makes some. Even the stock Tesla 18" wheels can be made to fit if you're willing to do a little grinding on your brake calipers; that's not something I would do however.

Reactions: afadeev