Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wipers do a neat trick!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I discovered a pretty neat little thing that our Model 3s do with the wipers. They actually retract down below the windshield line when not in use or when a bit of time has passed between intermittent wipes while on auto. I tested it while on the highway and the only reason I can find for this even being a feature is noise reduction. It's not noticeable at low speed, but on the highway, there is a very distinct reduction in wind noise when they retract down. Check it out in a video I made:

T. Antony

My wipers do not retract nearly as much as in the video. The left one also started hitting the windshield post also and I don't remember that before.

I am wondering if this has anything to do with the "DeepRain" software update I got yesterday, or maybe they don't retract in colder temperatures because they won't defrost?

Also, are these wipers run by a servo motor then?

I discovered a pretty neat little thing that our Model 3s do with the wipers. They actually retract down below the windshield line when not in use or when a bit of time has passed between intermittent wipes while on auto....

It is called Parked and many if not the majority of cars in its class (or higher) do this. General only less expensive/smaller cars have a fixed or narrow windshield cowl that the wipes can't Park in.

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 6.46.43 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Foster
My wipers do not retract nearly as much as in the video. The left one also started hitting the windshield post also and I don't remember that before.

I am wondering if this has anything to do with the "DeepRain" software update I got yesterday, or maybe they don't retract in colder temperatures because they won't defrost?

I think that wiper needs to be adjusted on the post. Like, turned 1 degree counter clockwise from drivers perspective.

Are you certain it’s hitting the post? Reason I ask is someone made a YT video a little ago thinking his blade hit the post too. Think his video was on how the blades spread the wiper fluid, not squirt it out, saving fluid. Anyway he was able to record in slo-mo and they never actually hit his post.

The wiper was definitely hitting the post. Probably was always this way, I just didn't notice it because I was not paying attention to the wipers as much. The "Deep Rain" seems to have made things worse, so that's why I was paying more attention.

Today I went ahead and adjusted by undoing the nuts and rotating the wipers. I didn't move them as far as in this guy's are at. I can barely see the wipers once they "park" though. I opted for this compromise because I still want it to wipe far enough, and I didn't want it to get too close to the edge of the window under the hood since the mechanism seems to have a lot of slop in it.

Will see if the wind noise reduces tomorrow.

I do think not "Parking" when cold is a good idea though. Also would be good if we could have the wipers enter service mode from your phone so you don't need to go get in the car to do it before an ice storm comes.

Gum cars from 1990 to 2006 do that too. My dads old 1004 Buick do it.

it was cool, when used, it rest on the part of windshield that’s heated by the defroster so it warms the wiper blade. Really good for winter.

for model 3, I’m not sure if it’s resting high enough for the defroster to warm. I want to find that out.
If it doesn’t, why not just have the wiper rest at the park position? So you still get aerodynamic while it rains.