Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Wisconsin - Tire Rotation / Brake Caliper Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I am from the Green Bay, WI area and have about 10k miles on my Model 3. Per the owners manual, it is stated that tire rotation should occur ever 10k-12k miles and brake calipers should be cleaned and lubricated every 12.5k mikes. Being in Wisconsin (with no service centers), where do I get this done? Will Tesla mobile service do this?

I appreciate the help. Thank you!

Honestly anyone can do this.

I have used Pomp's in New London for tire purchases. Even that shop in New London has done tire work on a few Teslas, I am sure the GB shops have too.

I would just go to whomever was your favorite tire shop before buying the Tesla.

Okay sounds good, thank you. I wasn’t sure if only certain shops could do it. I read something about Tesla’s requiring a specific technique to lift the car. I appreciate the help!

Hi Everyone,

I am from the Green Bay, WI area and have about 10k miles on my Model 3. Per the owners manual, it is stated that tire rotation should occur ever 10k-12k miles and brake calipers should be cleaned and lubricated every 12.5k mikes. Being in Wisconsin (with no service centers), where do I get this done? Will Tesla mobile service do this?
I appreciate the help. Thank you!

Mobile service cannot do anything that requires the car to be lifted. They carry a jack and can change tires, but I doubt that includes brake service. But chances are the SC would not do the work. They would check for tire wear, but if ithey are worn evenly they probably would decline doing it. Back when I had a Model S, they told me, not necessary every time I asked. If you have a dual motor, I certainly wouldn't worry about it. On my X, since the tires are not all the same size, so it is not possible to rotate them anyway.

You can buy a tread depth gauge for 10 bucks and check them yourself. If the tires are worn unevenly you might need an alignment. Remember, there is no scheduled maintenance required on a Tesla, especially the Model 3. They really mean it. Before I'd go to Chicago or Minneapolis, I'd take a nap and forget about it. Now if you think you have a problem, that is a different matter.

You can buy a tread depth gauge for 10 bucks and check them yourself. .

I carry a tread depth gauge in my pocket most of the time; cost me a penny.
Stick a penny into the tread groove and if you can see all of Lincoln's head, depth is less than 2/32" and it's time to get a new tire. If you want to be more safety conscious about when to replace, use a quarter instead; distance between the edge of a quarter and Washington's head is 4/32".

Okay sounds good, thank you. I wasn’t sure if only certain shops could do it. I read something about Tesla’s requiring a specific technique to lift the car. I appreciate the help!

It is worth asking if a shop is aware of the lift points. The question alone will make them careful and identify the right ones unless it is a bad hack shop.

RWD cars are very sensitive to tire rotation since the regen and drive place so much wear on the rears. AWD are sometimes reported to not need rotation since Regen and drive are more evenly distributed.

I live in rural Maine over four hours from the nearest service center, so mobile service did the brake service at my home for $200. While the tech had the wheels off to do the brake work, I asked if I could move the front wheels the to rear and rears to front while he worked so he wouldn't have to charge me an additional $70 for a wheel rotation. He was fine with my doing so. IMHO, the brake work and tire rotation can be done by any competent shop for a more reasonable charge. The tech did caution that an electrical connection to the parking brake should be disconnected prior to starting work and reconnected when the brake service is completed to avoid serious issues if the parking brake were to be inadvertently energized while work was ongoing. I have had mobile service visit twice, once for the brake work and once for a recall that was initiated by Tesla and both visits were very productive. The tech did a great job, answered all my questions and made recommendations about future preventative maintenance, so the "premium" I paid for Tesla brake service was worth it to me. However, going forward, I'll probably rely on my trusted local shop to do brake and tire work to save a few bucks.