Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wish List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt anyone is searching for my posts anyway. ;-)....

NigelM: You can type the emblem on an iPad using Unicode, if you want.

a) however humble you personally might be, no-one can search if everyone uses the symbol.

b) there's still no way to enter a symbol in the search box of an iPad.

it's like peeing in the swimming pool, it might not mean much to you but eventually it's going to spoil it for other folks.

"If you want all the high tech cool stuff you'll need to get the S"
I Disagree. Technology moves so quickly that the model 3 should actually have MORE technology in 2017 for less money than the "S" does now. Like anything else electronic. Prices fall and technology advances exponentially. Look at TVs. You can buy a 60" LED TV for $1800.00 where-as 5 years ago when they first came out the 55" was $3500. and they are BETTER.

I'm sure an improved touch screen will be used and be MUCH cheaper to make. Also I'm sure Elon knows the basics of all successful product launches.. Under Promise and Over deliver. I expect the 3 will have a greater than 200 mile range, more technology built into the screen and still come in around $35K. we shall see but I know Elon knows that the difference between $35K and $45K will change his sales volume as much as 30%. Which kills his vendor $ negotiations. I also know Elon wants to "SPANK" the big three for killing the EV up to now.. Time to teach them a lesson. Along with the oil companies.

Technology moves so quickly that the model 3 should actually have MORE technology in 2017 for less money than the "S" does now. Like anything else electronic. Prices fall and technology advances exponentially.
Precisely. I think people seriously underestimate what the passage of time, combined with economies of scale, can do to the prices of solid state technology. Others mistakenly believe that there must be some sort of 'separation' of features and performance between Model ≡ and Model S, to protect sales of the higher end cars. Nope. People will buy the car they want, they car they need, the car they can afford.

Also I'm sure Elon knows the basics of all successful product launches.. Under Promise and Over deliver. I expect the 3 will have a greater than 200 mile range, more technology built into the screen and still come in around $35K.
I agree. The people who expect Tesla Motors to roll out a bare bones tin can without amenities for $35,000 will be absolutely wrong. Like the Model S, the Generation III cars will not be exactly 'luxurious' in the traditional automotive sense. It will be modern, stylish, comfortable, functional, and fully featured. I think it will be at least as well appointed as a Toyota Camry LE, and possibly as well as a Lexus ES. I think it will at the very least come with a 60 kWh battery pack delivering ~250 miles of EPA rated range. I hope that it would use a refined version of the Tesla Model S 60 drivetrain, with a 300 hp / 317 lbs-ft torque output.

we shall see but I know Elon knows that the difference between $35K and $45K will change his sales volume as much as 30%. Which kills his vendor $ negotiations. I also know Elon wants to "SPANK" the big three for killing the EV up to now.. Time to teach them a lesson. Along with the oil companies.
Exactly. The big surprise will come if Tesla Motors is able to reduce the cost of battery packs to the point that other automotive manufacturers accuse them of technology dumping. I doubt they'll ever release a wimpy car, without range and performance as the focus. I imagine that the people who expect to see a 40 kWh grocery getter, with just shy of 180 miles range for $35,000 will have heart attacks if Tesla instead releases the base car at 60, 85, or 100 kWh instead. This is going to be fun to watch.

Track tuning option:
- 20-30 minutes of full throttle/brake using <= 40 kWh of charge

Applying full throttle for 30 minutes only using 40kWh of charge means that the output is only ( 107hp ) 80kW.
That's not what you want.

If the car has a max output of 300kW, and you want to do hot laps ( I am going to guess that means an average throttle of somewhere between 67 and 80% without considering regen ), 30 minutes would use about 100 to 120 kWh of charge.

Having the cooling system to handle that is something else.

Last edited:
Red sage: We've made a polite request but you seem to want to have it your way. Would it harm anyone but calling the Model 3 the way Tesla actually calls it and that's Model 3?

Hey guys, don't mean to annoy but, it looks like three horizontal bars are still in play:

Twitter

image.jpg

Applying full throttle for 30 minutes only using 40kWh of charge means that the output is only ( 107hp ) 80kW.
That's not what you want.

If the car has a max output of 300kW, and you want to do hot laps ( I am going to guess that means an average throttle of somewhere between 67 and 80% without considering regen ), 30 minutes would use about 100 to 120 kWh of charge.

Having the cooling system to handle that is something else.
I think you misunderstood. I said "full throttle/braking". I'm not talking about keeping to the pedal to the floor going in a straight line or along an oval. I'm talking about like... with turning and braking and such.

The most I've used in a 20min session is ~77 rated miles. But yes, it would probably be around 50-60 kWh rather than 40 kWh.

I want a reasonably priced FSM and parts. Technically, this would require those to be less expensive than parts from other manufacturers, but I'll settle for parts that are as expensive.

The lack of support for DIY'ers is the biggest reason I would sit on the fence about getting a 3. I still might get one, but I'd complain a lot about anything that broke out of warranty.

I'd like to see an aux jack for the stereo -- looked at an S the other day, and was surprised it didn't have it! I have my entire (very large) music collection on my iPod, so that would be very nice. I'd like more in the way of cubbies, map holders in the doors, storage in the center console, and cup holders (especially rear ones). The Prius' overhead cubby is perfect for my prescription sunglasses -- very easy to get at them. I'd also appreciate Bluetooth audio for my phone. I also wonder if a 120 V outlet would be possible -- handy for boiling water while parked and for recharging laptops!

I'd like to see an aux jack for the stereo -- looked at an S the other day, and was surprised it didn't have it! I have my entire (very large) music collection on my iPod, so that would be very nice. I'd like more in the way of cubbies, map holders in the doors, storage in the center console, and cup holders (especially rear ones). The Prius' overhead cubby is perfect for my prescription sunglasses -- very easy to get at them. I'd also appreciate Bluetooth audio for my phone. I also wonder if a 120 V outlet would be possible -- handy for boiling water while parked and for recharging laptops!

I believe you can use your iPod in the Model S through the USB connector.

I'm getting into the first 40,000 for sure and maybe hold two reservations, one for a Sig and one for a General Production. Will discard the sig if the pricing and options turn out to be not worth it.

First 40k or so because that's when I'm predicting that Tesla would hit 200,000 cars produced in all (Roadster, S, X and G3); buyers would then no longer be eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit.

Current guidance is hitting 100K cars per year rate by the end of 2015 (by which time they'd have already shipped 100K cumulative) so by the end of 2016 they'd be hitting 200K total before Model 3 even starts to ship. So the fine print starts to matter. Does the law refer to US sales or redeemed credits or does it refer to total production. When it was written there probably wasn't much thought that a US car maker might be exporting much of it's production.

One of the things on my wish-list is: Gorgeous Elegant Styling.

I have no doubt they will build a fantastic car all the way around from the ground up. This has been proven with MS. However, this may sound trite and vain, but it's gotta look fantastic. Not just good or decent. No offense to the Insight, Prius, or Leaf owners, but it can't look anything like that. I realize it is up against the BMW 3 series /Audi A4 for competition (lets hope BMW M3 performance #'s), but it will need to have styling to match and surpass.

I think the biggest risk doing a 'mass-market' car is appealing to a wider audience. I am just hoping and praying that they don't do a lame conservative approach to appease the masses. I truly believe the styling on the M3 will be the one of the most critical factors to its overall success. I really believe all things being equal, this is what will set it apart from other EV/BEV/car's in same price range.

I have hope it will retain the pedigree and styling of the MS. I would be ok if it was close in styling (similar mini-me approach wouldn't bother me either).

I'm a huge, huge proponent, heck I'm even an investor. I'm hoping to retire my faithful f150, if that thing got 100mpg, it would be the perfect vehicle, almost.

I have a few off the wall suggestions for Model 3.

If a feature already exists, please let me know and I'll remove it.

Sound System

Programmable Automatic Audio Volume Adjustment

The faster you go, the higher it reaches defined threshold (louder on the freeway) -- as you slow down the volume goes down -- more awareness while driving slowly (pedestrians, bicycles, and other typical slow paced driving one should be awaree of).

Auto Sensing of Emergency Vehicles and/or Road Conditions

Turns down stereo sound automatically based on external microphones or detection of emergency vehicles (with applicable vocal warnings) or reported accidents, etc.

Window System

Similar to the sound system -- weather is not raining, snowing, etc -- automatically rolls down or up windows at predefined speeds and at different levels for maximum wind to pleasurable external air experience.

Intranet Communication

Sensors for pot holes, rain conditions, ice, oil slicks, hitting dead animals, etc. When a Tesla car encounters such (based on a variety of sensors from shock, vibration including surface detection), it communicates to a Tesla network and transmits the information to other cars automatically. This can include congestion in traffic to maximum speed of routes. Possibly based on a tally, so if 3 cars find a pothole and 1 doesn't, the pothole exists -- or vice versa. The driver's can be warned of upcoming conditions continuously -- or if self driving it will re-route.

Semi-Complete Hands Free Operation

This should be a discount for auto insurance as it will heighten and assist in driver awareness.

Other than the steering wheel, break and acceleration, the car should have full speech recognition for nearly every feature and not require one to take one's eyes off road. Open the windows 30% HAL. Turn the radio station HAL. Set the temperature to blah blah, HAL. HAL, report heavy traffic. HAL report accident. HAL (example name) should be able to read text messages from friends and reply to text messages (voice recognition) - same with e-mails, surfing the web, etc.

Thanks for reading!

Current guidance is hitting 100K cars per year rate by the end of 2015 (by which time they'd have already shipped 100K cumulative) so by the end of 2016 they'd be hitting 200K total before Model 3 even starts to ship. So the fine print starts to matter. Does the law refer to US sales or redeemed credits or does it refer to total production. When it was written there probably wasn't much thought that a US car maker might be exporting much of it's production.

The law referes to US sales, i.e. redeemed credits. There will be a mad-dash to get on the beginning of the wait list. Keep your credit card lines open :)

GenIIIBuyer: I'm not so sure about that... When you check the 'Phaseout' section of the Federal Tax Credits for Electric Vehicles page at FuelEconomy-dot-gov... It seems that the cars don't even have to be sold to begin the credit begins to go away. They use the word 'produces' instead:

"The credit begins to phase out for vehicles at the beginning of the second calendar quarter after the manufacturer produces 200,000 eligible plug-in electric vehicles (i.e., plug-in hybrids and EVs) as counted from January 1, 2010. IRS will announce when a manufacturer exceeds this production figure and will announce the subsequent phase out schedule (Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit Quarterly Sales)."

At that point, the credit drops to 50%... Then 25%... Then 0%... Over time, on a schedule.

phaseoutdiagramPlugin.gif

GenIIIBuyer: I'm not so sure about that... When you check the 'Phaseout' section of the Federal Tax Credits for Electric Vehicles page at FuelEconomy-dot-gov... It seems that the cars don't even have to be sold to begin the credit begins to go away. They use the word 'produces' instead:

"The credit begins to phase out for vehicles at the beginning of the second calendar quarter after the manufacturer produces 200,000 eligible plug-in electric vehicles (i.e., plug-in hybrids and EVs) as counted from January 1, 2010. IRS will announce when a manufacturer exceeds this production figure and will announce the subsequent phase out schedule (Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit Quarterly Sales)."

At that point, the credit drops to 50%... Then 25%... Then 0%... Over time, on a schedule.

phaseoutdiagramPlugin.gif

Hmmm ... I wonder if Tesla will delay some US production cars as they approach the 200,000th eligible builds? For instance lower domestic production percentage vs international so that the 200,000 car is built on the first day of the following quarter in order to buy 3 more months of credits. Since volumes will pick up so substantially with model 3, it would be in Tesla's interest to push back the 200,000th US car as much as possible (without losing sales).

And the word "eligible"? Is cars that is not targeted the US marked eligible for this credit?