Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with 3 ft long crack on the windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How fast were you going? The rock would be doing similar speed coming at you
I used to fit windshields many years ago, speed, angle, hardness/jaggedness of rock all play a part in what damage is caused
There’s also luck which seems to be the biggest factor
Keep good distance from other cars in your lane and drive with your fingers crossed, sorry for your damage I know it sucks but could worse, it could have left damage on the hood instead
It was about 55 to 60 mph and it was on the freeway which was very clear, probably I could see one or just two cars in front of me, that were close enough to kick a debris towards me.

I think we all agree aerodynamics are a thing. That’s not the argument though right ?
The model 3 is very aerodynamic, and that impacts its range.

What I’m saying is; If you have a rock flying towards the car at speed, and its trajectory is at your front glass, it’s unlikely the better aerodynamics of the model 3 allow an object like a rock to pass through easier than a car with poorer aerodynamics, resulting in more rock impacts. ..
In my many years of driving other cars of all types, I’ve never seen a rock deflected away from the windshield from wind.
I just can’t believe something as heavy as a rock would be influenced enough by aerodynamics of any normal car to change its trajectory outcome. Maybe the physics masters on this forum can chime in with their thoughts. My BMW has rock chips in it, and I’ve seen June bugs hit my BMW window many times. If that cars poorer aerodynamics can’t deflect a June bug, how could it influence a rock ?

it not really a matter of what you believe or what I believe.
I was merely relating my experience w/number of dings
from FOD onto windshield v front bumper, and in this car
I have abrasion on windshield while front bumper is minimal...

also other highly aero autos in my past didn’t experience the
same frequency of windshield hits, same roads, same speeds.

as the frequency of these incidents increased, I know there is
something more to the observances, aero can and does have
effect of where rocks, pebbles FOD impact a moving object.

which moves the frequency to why tesla 3 glass isn’t resilient
enough to withstand damage as previous vehicles in my past?

so, chalk it off to chance, phase of the moon, your choice.
I know something is different from my experience, again YMMV?

Reactions: Perscitus
We’ve had our M3 for less than 24 months. About
To replace second windshield in less than 6 months. 3 hits total with one repairable. Cracks have been both low and high but none within 5 inches of edge. My thought is they are using lighter/weaker glass, perhaps to save weight.

We’ve had our M3 for less than 24 months. About
To replace second windshield in less than 6 months. 3 hits total with one repairable. Cracks have been both low and high but none within 5 inches of edge. My thought is they are using lighter/weaker glass, perhaps to save weight.
That is unlikely. It’s more likely, you’re just exposing the glass to more stones.
Just unlucky, or you drive behind too many trucks. Who knows.
Why do so many folks have the need to blame Tesla for these types of things. ?
Couldn’t possibly be your luck, or driving habits. Must be crappy glass. ??

Hello Guys,

I am a newbie when it comes to Tesla, I just got my Tesla 3, 2 weeks ago. But I have owned ICE cars for decades and never had I experienced a windshield cracked by a small rock that hits you in the freeway, I was sure it was a tiny rock because of the sound (Tick) and the mark it left at the impact site (which was close to the end of my windshield, driver side).

My question is? Are Tesla 3 windshield brittle? It’s really sad to see a windshield cracked after 2 weeks of use. I already scheduled my repair for next week but not sure how much it costs for a new windshield.

Did anyone have any similar experience?
I just had the exact same thing happened to me with my three-month old 2022 M3LR.

Hello Guys,

I am a newbie when it comes to Tesla, I just got my Tesla 3, 2 weeks ago. But I have owned ICE cars for decades and never had I experienced a windshield cracked by a small rock that hits you in the freeway, I was sure it was a tiny rock because of the sound (Tick) and the mark it left at the impact site (which was close to the end of my windshield, driver side).

My question is? Are Tesla 3 windshield brittle? It’s really sad to see a windshield cracked after 2 weeks of use. I already scheduled my repair for next week but not sure how much it costs for a new windshield.

I had the exact same thing happened yesterday to my three-month old M3LR. I was stationary on a state highway waiting to turn left. An SUV came by in the opposite direction going about 55 mph. The rock was small judging by the sound and later finding a small mark. Today, a three foot long crack appeared, radiating from the dies of the rock chip.

Hello Guys,

Same question here. Got hit with a small rock last week kicked up from a pothole. Result was a barely perceptible little impact pockmark but an 18” crack grew directly across my vision line. Comprehensive covers it through Safelite, my local Tesla service center, great as they are, had a 10-day wait on MY windshields. But they did offer for me to stop by right after leaving Safelite for a quick, free 5-10 minute calibration of the forward looking camera.

Same question here. Got hit with a small rock last week kicked up from a pothole. Result was a barely perceptible little impact pockmark but an 18” crack grew directly across my vision line. Comprehensive covers it through Safelite, my local Tesla service center, great as they are, had a 10-day wait on MY windshields. But they did offer for me to stop by right after leaving Safelite for a quick, free 5-10 minute calibration of the forward looking camera.
I have read on this forum that after the windshield is replaced, front windshield camera calibration needs to be done, I also am under the impression you could have done this yourself with the recalibration function thru the screen.

No issue so far, touch wood..

My last car was a new Golf, cracked windscreen in the 1st month thanks to a truck kicking up a stone..It happens, and it sucks.
I have 95k miles on my 2018 P3D and have so far 5 rock chips in the windshield. 4 of them are filled already and the last one is not. None have propagated into larger cracks.

I am actually pleasantly surprised that the windshield lasted as long as it did. The last one was kicked up in that big holiday storm in oregog, and I was sure the cold and heat would crack my windshield with thermal stress. So far it has held together nicely.

I have read on this forum that after the windshield is replaced, front windshield camera calibration needs to be done, I also am under the impression you could have done this yourself with the recalibration function thru the screen.
UPDATE: Safelite called the night before my windshield replacement appointment and said they didn’t have a replacement available, and couldn’t tell when they would have one. Canceled the installation and told my insurance company that I wanted to have Tesla replace it. Cost my insurance company twice as much but I pay them more than enough, they can suck it up.