Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with 3 kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there have been a bunch of early threads on this but thought I'd get a larger sample size now that there are more M3s out there--

I have a large 8 year old who doesn't need a car seat anymore, a 6 year old in a booster, and 2.5 year old in one of those convertible forward-facing seats. Is there any chance of fitting these 3 into the back and having them be semi-comfortable?

thanks in advance-

The rear seats of the Model 3 are surprisingly spacious, and I would think you would have no trouble fitting all three kids in the back for trips around town. For longer trips, it might start to feel a little cramped, although I think putting three kids that age in the back of any sedan is going to feel tight.

Reactions: FrancoNY
My kids are both in boosters and there seems to be enough room in the middle for a 3rd if needed. The seat belt clasp placement is pretty poor in the back seats, though. The booster seats press right up on the receptacle, which makes buckling them up a bit of an event. I'd look for small profile seats if I were going to cram 3 people back there.

Reactions: FrancoNY
8C43A3F4-CF3E-4C0E-AA0F-8EA9FAAF0BBB.jpeg
My kids are both in boosters and there seems to be enough room in the middle for a 3rd if needed. The seat belt clasp placement is pretty poor in the back seats, though. The booster seats press right up on the receptacle, which makes buckling them up a bit of an event. I'd look for small profile seats if I were going to cram 3 people back there.

Just as an extra note regarding putting a child seat in the middle row, it looks like the LATCH system isn’t supported for that seat, so you’d have to use the seatbelt to hold the car seat in place.

thanks everyone. My inclination is to put a narrow car seat like a Diono in the middle using the seat belt instead of the LATCH system. What I'm not sure about is whether the seat belt receptacles will be accessible to the two side seats if I put the baby in the middle?

I think you'll be OK with the baby seat in the middle, but am not certain. Diono is certainly narrow enough. The problem I found, with my 7-year-old, was that it's hard to find a booster narrow-enough to sit down in the bucket of the side seating positions. With boosters that were normal width, they couldn't sit flat, rising up on one side or the other, and would shift over to cover the buckle socket. We ended up with the Harmony Youth Booster, which was disturbingly inexpensive from Wal-Mart. There is also a Cosco booster that is narrow enough (maybe more than one, I only tried the Topside). The Clek Olli was almost perfect, because the seat fits in the depression and the rigid-Latch holds it in place, but then the arm rest completely blocked the seatbelt socket, so that was no good. In total, what I found was: EvenFlo AMP - too wide; KidsEmbrace - better, but still too wide; Cleck Olli - narrow enough, but arm rest blocks socket; Harmony Youth - just right; Cosco Topside - just right

Reactions: shanif and FrancoNY
It's really tight for three seats back there. I tried fitting three high-back forward-facing car seats (the narrowest ones we could find on the market) and while I could physically do it, it felt completely unsafe with the one in the middle kind of floating and unable to secure completely with the belt.

It might be different with the configuration you're talking about, but I feel it isn't safely designed for three kid seats.

thanks everyone. My inclination is to put a narrow car seat like a Diono in the middle using the seat belt instead of the LATCH system. What I'm not sure about is whether the seat belt receptacles will be accessible to the two side seats if I put the baby in the middle?
If it is a narrow baby seat it should fit, if it's larger then I think it will be difficult. I have two booster seats in mine.

If you are unsure then take your seats into the showroom and fit them. That's what I did when I was considering an M2. I'm also not sure there is a latch connection in the middle seat. I think this car just has them on the side seats. Middle seat is safest, but will be hardest to take your kid in and out of. Second safest on most cars is driver side rear. (T bones happen when turning left usually)

Have you considered putting the large 8 year old in the middle? You can put a booster on one side and the convertible on the other side. The middle seat actually does ok since there is no "hump" restricting leg room.
I might try that- will prob but a diono radian and just move stuff around and see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread- really appreciated.

I have a Diono Radian RXT in the middle seat. The seat belt receptacles on the side seats are still accessible, but a little tougher. The main problem I have run into is that people in the right seat often accidentally disconnect the child seat.

Thanks everyone. Would it be fair to say that 3 kids is doable but not exactly easy? This is tilting me towards getting a CPO Model S instead. Would hate to buy a beautiful new car and be forced into driving an ICE car much of the time due to these little monsters in the back.

Picture so it _did_ happen. :p

Several years ago it was people asking about fitting 3 in the back of a Prius. Diono (formerly Radian) seats were always the solution.
not formerly, they are Diono (brand) Radian (model).

I have 2 + an infant carrier in the back of my car, fits with ease. The baby will be graduating to the Diono soon because all he does is eat all day, and my oldest will graduate to a booster. I have not doubt 2 Radians + booster configuration will work also.

Thanks everyone. Would it be fair to say that 3 kids is doable but not exactly easy? This is tilting me towards getting a CPO Model S instead. Would hate to buy a beautiful new car and be forced into driving an ICE car much of the time due to these little monsters in the back.

From what i have read online, and from my short experience with a Model S loaner, the interior isn't particularly any bigger than in the 3. Where you get more room is in the cargo areas.

As a prior Model S with three kids, I can tell you that this will work with an S.

As a present Model 3 owner... I think those missing 4 inches make a big difference because of the car seats.

My RECOMMENDATION: Take all three kids and the car seats to the nearest Model 3 on display and do a live test. Nothing else will give you the answer you need.

BTW, my kids are out of the car seats now for a while, so Model 3 rocks for everyone involved.

As a prior Model S with three kids, I can tell you that this will work with an S.

As a present Model 3 owner... I think those missing 4 inches make a big difference because of the car seats.

My RECOMMENDATION: Take all three kids and the car seats to the nearest Model 3 on display and do a live test. Nothing else will give you the answer you need.

BTW, my kids are out of the car seats now for a while, so Model 3 rocks for everyone involved.

Hi - so did exactly that - I went and re-test drove the model S and 3 today, dragged all the car seats in. Like stonelance wrote above, it turns out the model S backseat is really not so different than the model 3. By spec the 3 has 52.4" of hip room and the S has 54.7" of hip room (and only 1" difference in shoulder room). so I'm going to stick with the 3 - cheaper and newer, if a little less functional.

I don't have the Diono car seat yet but I think I could put the 6 year old on a bubblebum, 2.5 year old in the Diono, and fit the big boy wherever he will fit. Thanks again for everyone's input/advice.