TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 with 400 mile range

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by carvana, Aug 14, 2019.

1. carvana

carvana Member

When would we see a Tesla model 3 with 400+ miles range? 2020?
    Thanks

2. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

182.965 Elon Time

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. EVDRVN

EVDRVN Member

If you are holding off for more range, don't.

• Like x 4
  4. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

I doubt it. I think the Model S will get 400 miles first.

• Like x 8
  5. acarney

acarney Member

We might see the RWD Long Range come back at some point (possibly when the Y is being produced) and with a year or two of improved battery tech we might see some small improvements. I could see a RWD LR Model 3 in two years that might get near 350 miles. However, with the faster charge rate (~140kW and up to ~225kW on V3 superchargers) a 310 mile range Model 3 should be absolutely enough. Even only getting ~70% of that rated range, it's still almost 3 hours of driving at 75 mph. If you're at a V2 supercharger then you're gaining back about 100 miles in 11 minutes and over 160 miles in about 20 minutes total.

At V3 you might see those 100 miles in like 6 minutes or something.

(My 70% of rated range was just a stab in the dark; ABetterRoutePlanner says you'll get about 91% of that rated range [285 miles] at 65mph)

6. rickdogg82

rickdogg82 Member

No need. As charging speeds increase I see range being reduced or kept steady. There is no need to pay for more battery than you need.

• Like x 10
  7. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Member

Seconded.

On the East coast, Superchargers are dense enough the biggest gap you'd ever need to jump is like 60 miles. So even in sub-zero snowstorms, my little SR+ could make it to Maine and back home (according to ABRP).

• Like x 1
  8. NedH

NedH Member

Not true there are plenty of 120 mile plus spacings. For example Savanna to Atlanta, large portions of West Virginia, north west from Birmingham

9. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Member

Starting location is important. My profile does state Maryland, so maybe I should say "Northeast coast." But my point still stands. Here's ABRP for a SR+ at 0 degrees F with 30 MPH headwinds and heavy snow:

md-to-me.png

• Informative x 2
  10. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Member

With 370 on tap with new models I agree - 400+ is around the corner. Maxwell......? ;)

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Thanks. It's August and you're already reminding us that Winter Is Coming.

400 mile range just depends on how battery technology goes.

They'd sacrifice some range for cheap per kWh, and faster charging.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

I have a vintage P85 with 88k miles pack degraded to 247miles at 100%, yesterday woke up 230miles from the supercharger network with hilly country between. The single J1772 connection in Florence WI is what allowed me to connect those dots, temps in the low 70s so modest HVAC use. Half hour rest stop in Florence at 10kw gave me the buffer I needed to drive appropriate speeds.

I think a lot of gaps can be filled with destination chargers and not the 6kw kind. There are a couple slower destination chargers along the way that would be too cumbersome.

Before bigger batteries and expensive superchargers put in low traffic places I think we can get by on high output AC connections. With a wife who gave me two wonderful children and said children I am stopping for 20minutes every 2 hours anyway, a 10mile or so nudge can be worthwhile.

13. Octo

Octo Member

I both agree (as a 6 year EV “veteran” with hands on experience with 80 miles, 125 miles and 310 miles EVs - so for me a 200 mile range is sufficient) and disagree.

The first question that I get from ICE owners is “what’s the range?” and as long as ICEs get 500 miles on a 5 minute refill, EVs will have to get better.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

In another word, if you can't afford a bigger battery, have a couple kids, it will be a lot cheaper ! :)

• Funny x 1
  15. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

Is that a click bait title or what? lol

• Disagree x 2
  16. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

No a bigger battery would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

• Disagree x 1
  17. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

I know...I got 3 kids...;-)

• Funny x 1
  18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I predict that will occur on Star Date 17392.6 :cool: But seriously...

In my opinion, there is no chance that will happen in 2020 or even 2022. That is because the rapidly expanding Supercharger network, and other public EV charging networks, and the fact that charge speeds are increasing, means that there is very little need for a car in the Model 3 vehicle class to need that kind of range.

Yes, there are and likely will always be a small number of buyers who insist on the capability to drive for 6 hours without stopping, but that doesn’t mean that Tesla should make a Model 3 version for that tiny segment of the market.

Battery energy density will continue to improve gradually over time, and I expect to see the Model S achieved that kind of range in a few years, but it has more space for a physically larger battery pack. I predict that the Tesla Truck will have an option for that kind of range. And Elon has stated that the Roadster will exceed that range. But not the Model 3.

19. daniel

daniel Active Member

If the government were to end the subsidies to fossil fuels, gasoline would be so expensive that people would realize that 300 miles of range is plenty. IF you are driving where there are superchargers. For the first seven years that I drove a Tesla, I had to keep my Prius because once a year I took a six-week trip on secondary roads where there were no superchargers. It wasn't until they put a supercharger in Kelowna, BC, that I was able to make do with the Model 3's 310 mile range. The SR would not have been able to make it.

Now, depending on how fast battery technology improves, vs. how fast the supercharger network grows, we may see superchargers give way to destination chargers, or large batteries become obsolete.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  20. Cmunny

Cmunny Member

If Tesla embraces the new HET DC motor that is under development at Linear Labs (or I would imagine a proprietary version thereof), they won't need to improve battery technology much. Motor efficiency will drastically increase range (and performance specs) while possibly even reducing storage requirements. Once this motor becomes industry standard, I have no doubt we will see ranges between 400 and 500 without any change to battery. I give it two years before Elon engineers a similar motor, or Tesla buys patent rights to Linear Lab's version.

HET electric motor massively boosts power, torque and efficiency, reduces weight and complexity

Add to this the breakthroughs in battery tech, such as "solid state" or "dry" lithium ion packs under development by Fiskar, or even more promising, the new Li+ inorganic electrolyte battery being tested by Innolith as part of Hagerstown, PA "Gridbank" project.

Electric car battery with 600 miles of range? This startup claims to have done it

Put these advancements together, along with whatever brilliant engineering Elon can cram into it, and you may have an EV with over 1000 mile range, that outperforms modern P3D+ or P100D models in the next 5 years.

(I know Fiskar is a bad word in the realm of TESLA, but you can't discount the work they are doing to contribute to advancing battery tech)

We live in exciting times, I tell you.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1