TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 with 400 mile range

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by carvana, Aug 14, 2019.

1. TomServo

TomServo Member

There is still a gaping hole on I-64 between Mt Vernon IL and the Louisville Ky SC. That's 194 miles and on a major east/west highway. Why that hasn't been addressed is odd?

2. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

Georgia and Alabama don’t sound like places where you have to worry about sub-zero temperatures.

3. Manitoba Keith

There is an even larger gap in ND (NONE) and part of MT and part of MN, along the I 94 corridor There are NONE yet. Quite possibly 800 miles!

• Like x 1
  4. one2many

one2many Member

OK I think we are talking batteries I guess.
    I think we will break all kinds of records in the next few years.
    This is billions of dollars with a big "B".
    A really good summary is in the link :
    Battery & Fuel Cell Archive - electrive.com
    I read it every day and the more interesting stuff I google
    the research directly. Have fun.

5. daniel

daniel Active Member

I don't think there's a sweet spot or an ideal range. Most people probably won't ever need more than 300 miles. But as noted above, there are places where you'd need much more. There are also routes other than the major highways, where as yet there are no superchargers, though fast DC charging is growing slowly, and will continue to grow for people with cars other than Teslas.

Most families have more than one car, but don't need more than one road-trip car. It's silly to have two cars that can go 700 miles when only one would ever be the road trip car and the other is only used as a commuter car. This is why there will always be a market for different battery sizes, unless and until we transition to something other than batteries.

6. one2many

one2many Member

I think most of the research if in the direction of cost reduction and weight.
    Yes this will make bigger batteries possible but at some point, how much
    is enough. ICE cars could also make bigger gas tanks but it somewhat makes
    no sense. How much do want to pay for 400mile of 500mile model 3 and would it be
    better to have a model 3 now at 20% off.

7. RScottyL

RScottyL Member

I agree!

With the Model S sales slumping, but that could be that everyone likes the Model 3, I would assume that Elon would focus on doing a refresh on the Model S.

The Model 3 range options are on point with most ICE cars on average!

Now that he has the capacitor company Tesla merged/bought, I am sure they are trying to increase the range and bring battery costs down!

8. justabrake

justabrake Member

I think the Tesla pick up truck might be the big battery one coming in 1-2 years it'll be able to handle the weight

9. one2many

one2many Member

Go Tesla, they have what nobody has, batteries. ;)

10. MentalNomad

MentalNomad Member

I'm quite sure you're wrong - most of us would not prefer 400-500 "no matter what the cost and time to recharge."

I have a Model 3 with 300 range. I recently took a 1000 mile trip.

The battery charges faster when it's low. Topping up past 150 takes longer and longer. I found I preferred to drive 60 to 90 miles and take a short break at a charger (when I first plug in, it's getting 500 miles per hour, 8.3 miles per minute. In ten or eleven minutes, I'm refilled those 90 miles and can drive another hour and a half. It's just enough time to get a coffee and /or rest break.)

I don't want to drive 3 hours per leg... And if I did, the break to refill would not be double the 11 minutes. It would be more than that, because the rate of charge slows down as the battery gets full.

The current battery is close to perfect for me. I would not pay an extra dime for a bigger battery out of any necessity. If the bigger battery is slower to charge, or costs me more to charge, there's no way I buy it unless it's discounted relative to my current fast-charging battery, regardless the extra range.

11. MentalNomad

MentalNomad Member

That's nothing. Have you seen the gap between New York City and London? That's 3500 miles with no charging station! Until they address that, no Tesla Shorter should buy a car.

• Funny x 1
  12. justabrake

justabrake Member

Your just not a road warrior so it wouldn't fit in for you but there are a lot of us that like driving hard and fast dawn till dusk

13. Manitoba Keith

Actually from New York to London is about 200 miles, land based, but you should try the trip you are suggesting to see how well it works.

14. one2many

one2many Member

I am sure that big brown, fedex will need extra range, but most of
    us will OK with what they have now, a little more would help certain
    folks, but not me.

15. justabrake

justabrake Member

Thanks to Panasonic

16. rickdogg82

rickdogg82 Member

Yes, if it can be charged in 5-10 minutes.

• Like x 1
  17. Dan203

Dan203 Member

If they retain the ability to have high speed charging to 50% then the total charge speed doesn’t really matter. If you have a 500 mile range and can charge to 250 miles in 15-20 minutes then it'll be much less of a factor. Not sure if that speed scales up with denser batteries so can’t say for sure that’s possible, but if it is then it will change the equation a lot. And if they can get the max range up to 700-800 miles while retaining this ability then it's not an issue at all.

18. justabrake

justabrake Member

I don't know where you travel but when I head upstate for a 200 mile hunting trip I want to hunt not look for a power source I travel the back roads and burn a lot of miles doing it time is a factor sometimes I travel back and forth in the same day I don't even shut off the car when filling up in my travels Try and find a power station in the middle of nowhere time is a factor for me

• Like x 1
  19. afadeev

afadeev Member

Why?
    It would just be heavier, have worse consumption, and cost more money!!

I would not pay a penny more for longer range at the expense of weight and efficiency.
    I would, however, pay 4-figures more for rapid charging, that would bring EVs closer to parity with gas-station refilling times.

That argument makes no logical sense, whatsoever.
    But since you brought it up - would you mind enumerating and quantifying the nebulous government "subsidies to fossil fuels"? How much above $3.50/gallon would the gas cost without your subsidies?

Just curious...

20. one2many

one2many Member

I am also an outdoors man. Yes we know what you are saying.
    I an not sure that BLM, FS and the rest will catch up soon.
    There are no "7/elevens " there either nor gas hubs. The whole
    echo system needs to be built.