Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with 5 bikes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 with 5 bikes.
Tesla factory roof rails (Model 3 Roof Rack).
Two Yakima HighSpeed bike carriers on the roof (HighSpeed | Fork Mount Bike Rack | Yakima Racks).
A Stealth Hitch (stealthhitches.com) installed on the back (DIY) with a 1 Up 3-tray Heavy Duty bike carrier (1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE).
IMG_5483.jpeg
IMG_5495.jpeg
IMG_5486.jpeg

Model 3 with 5 bikes.
Two Yakima HighSpeed bike carriers on the roof (HighSpeed | Fork Mount Bike Rack | Yakima Racks).
A Stealth Hitch (stealthhitches.com) installed on the back (DIY) with a 1 Up 3-tray Heavy Duty bike carrier (1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE). View attachment 538195View attachment 538196View attachment 538197

Nice pics. I wonder if the 5 bike riders sit as nicely spaced as the bikes inside the Model 3. ;)

Very nice. I'm hoping (and will try soon) to get my Specialized road bike in the back seat with the front wheel and right pedal off and towels on the seat and the back of the armrest area. I have a bike rack from my previous Subaru Legacy and now for my Subaru Ascent. Roof racks for bikes are tough for shorter people (about 5' 8"), but might be OK on a shorter car like the M3. They are also difficult with weightier objects that need to be kept pretty straight to get them in (ie. bikes).

Enjoy the biking with your family! Don't omit the helmets.

Man, I can't see fitting a road bike inside for most adults. The height of the seat post makes it really difficult. The only videos I've found of people getting bikes inside are like 26" mtb or tiny road frames with seat post almost all the way down. If you're able to make it fit would be interested in knowing how! :)

Model 3 with 5 bikes.
A Stealth Hitch (stealthhitches.com) installed on the back (DIY) with a 1 Up 3-tray Heavy Duty bike carrier (1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE). View attachment 538195View attachment 538196View attachment 538197
I purchased my M3 in April 2019...it does not have the access panel for the hitch. Can you buy the panel. If so where & how much.

Thanks! Russ

That’s a lot of bikes. I have a Stealth hitch receiver installed on my Model 3, and it works well with my Kuät Sherpa rack. But... It makes the rear sensors think you’re always about to hit something. So if the alarm sound bugs you, you’ll want to turn that off. The extra overhang of the bike rack with a low vehicle makes going in and out of driveways interesting. I have to try and enter or leave the driveway at as much of an angle as I can. And lastly, driving at highway speeds (>70 MPH) with two bikes hanging on the back is a bigger hit to the range than I expected. Around 20-30 percent in my LR AWD, depending on things like headwinds and the size of the vehicles I could draft. For shorter distances, using the rack is fine. For longer trips that involve freeway speeds, I try to fold down the rear seats, pull the wheels off, and carry the bike inside.

Here’s a picture of my Gravel/Commuter bike
66D3B77D-E295-4B45-AE99-6CB38D485B12.jpeg

Reactions: Jack Diddly
I purchased my M3 in April 2019...it does not have the access panel for the hitch. Can you buy the panel. If so where & how much.

Thanks! Russ
The Model 3 hitch receiver is an aftermarket item. Installation involves removing the bumper cover, replacing the stamped bumper mounts with the hitch receiver, and cutting a hole in the rear undertray where the receiver attaches. I had a Tesla-approved auto body shop install mine, and it was about $500 for the installation. I got quotes from a couple of places in SoCal, and they were within $50 of each other. If you have the tools, and are confident in your ability to remove and reinstall interior and body pieces, you can DiY. But I didn’t want to take the risk of messing up and having to redo parts of the installation.

Tesla Model 3 (2017 - Present)