Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with 5 bikes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my M3 in April 2019...it does not have the access panel for the hitch. Can you buy the panel. If so where & how much.

Thanks! Russ
If there is no access panel, the instructions will show you how to cut a hole in the bottom panel. Some postings describe simply leaving it open. Others use a panel. There is an access panel etrailer.com for the eco hitch stealth hitch but I don't see one for the stealth hitches specifically. Perhaps this might work. (https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...MI6qf8xOab6QIVENbACh1-7AG8EAQYASABEgITd_D_BwE) There may be other panels elsewhere.

How do you like that Yakima roof bike rack? I just got the same as well. Do you take the Yakima bike rack off the roof after you are done riding since it is so large or leave it on all the tine? Your car looks a lot like mine except I haven’t gotten sport wheels yet!
The Yakima high speed roof bike carrier is great. I take it off after rides. It takes 2 min to install and about 30 seconds to remove. Solid carrier.

Reactions: ZachieD and Andy7
Yes, the rear sensors show a constant red line detecting the hitch mounted bike rack. No alarms when driving but continually beeps when the car is in reverse (detecting a near object, the bike rack). Autopilot seems to work okay, but I assume there is some limitation and drive with caution.

Also, the lines on the screen look like a mustache when the rack is mounted. Silence the backup sensors alert and it’s all good. I’ve been carting mountain bikes around with our stealth hitch and a Saris freedom super clamp rack since August 2018 with no issues.

Installing the stealth hitch took about 2 hours, my neighbor helped pop the bumper cover off and back on to avoid dropping it. Even cutting the hole in the bottom of the bumper cover was easy with a fine tooth blade in a jigsaw, although it felt weird to slice into a brand new car :)

Reactions: CharleyBC
I'd love some detailed notes on how the DIY experience went!

Impressive setup!
The Stealth Hitch DIY install is not too difficult. See the install video on etrailer.com (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Stealth-Hitches/391TES317T.html) and watch it a couple of times first. There's a list of the tools you will need on the Stealthhitches.com website under the instructions (Tesla Model 3 (2017 - Present)). Get the right tools, your investment in the tools will be cheaper than an install quote. Because of the low clearance, getting around under the car for some of it is a bit challenging without a lift. I installed the receiver and trailer hitch combo version, so it includes the trailer harness wiring. This involves some splicing, but it's straightforward. You will have to run a power line to the front of the car and the cable has to be tunneled under some trim. The video shows you step by step. It took me a few hours. If your comfortable and familiar with these types of projects it will probably take you only a couple of hours.

• Helpful
Reactions: CharleyBC
Model 3 with 5 bikes.
Tesla factory roof rails (Model 3 Roof Rack).
Two Yakima HighSpeed bike carriers on the roof (HighSpeed | Fork Mount Bike Rack | Yakima Racks).
A Stealth Hitch (stealthhitches.com) installed on the back (DIY) with a 1 Up 3-tray Heavy Duty bike carrier (1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE). View attachment 538195View attachment 538196View attachment 538197

can the trunk be opened with the rack in the folded up position? What about with the bikes loaded?

can the trunk be opened with the rack in the folded up position? What about with the bikes loaded?
This is a 3-tray 1UP rack, which means it is a double tray with a single add-on (you can add one more to make it 4 trays).
In the 3 tray configuration, I have only opened the trunk with the rack moved to it's middle position (not fully folded to the car, but not in the third position for loading). There is a lever at the bottom of the rack that allows you to move it between these positions. The adjustment lever is a bit cumbersome in location. They also sell an extension adapter for the lever to make it easier to adjust. I don't think the 3 tray configuration will have enough room to open the trunk in the folded state.
With bikes on the rack, the trunk will only partially open, then it hits the handlebars of the first bike. You do have about a foot of clearance to get partial access to the trunk.
You can also swing the fully loaded bike rack down to the ground to access the trunk. In the 3-tray configuration, this gets difficult because the lever is down near the base. With the lever adapter, this would be easier.
Alternatively, lay the back seat down to access the trunk space.

• Informative
Reactions: garrett5688
How do you like the 1up rack? I need to buy a 4 bike set up, for my wife’s SUV and have been shopping around. I like the Kuat, but the price is steep just to haul the kids bikes around here and there.
How do you like the 1up rack? I need to buy a 4 bike set up, for my wife’s SUV and have been shopping around. I like the Kuat, but the price is steep just to haul the kids bikes around here and there.
1up rack is the best 1-3 bike rack I’ve ever owned. When you add that fourth bike though, the aluminum flexes a lot. I’d worry about the rack hitting the highway with the low ground clearance on a M3.

Nice setup for the five bikes! Good point about getting up driveways. I have four mountain bikes and a tray style rack. The are about 25 lbs a piece but the rack itself is close to 100 so about 250 total. I think tongue weight is on the hitch is rated at 200 lbs so slightly over.
Has anyone tried a four bike tray style rack on the back of their 3? Pics?

This is a 3-tray 1UP rack, which means it is a double tray with a single add-on (you can add one more to make it 4 trays).
In the 3 tray configuration, I have only opened the trunk with the rack moved to it's middle position (not fully folded to the car, but not in the third position for loading). There is a lever at the bottom of the rack that allows you to move it between these positions. The adjustment lever is a bit cumbersome in location. They also sell an extension adapter for the lever to make it easier to adjust. I don't think the 3 tray configuration will have enough room to open the trunk in the folded state.
With bikes on the rack, the trunk will only partially open, then it hits the handlebars of the first bike. You do have about a foot of clearance to get partial access to the trunk.
You can also swing the fully loaded bike rack down to the ground to access the trunk. In the 3-tray configuration, this gets difficult because the lever is down near the base. With the lever adapter, this would be easier.
Alternatively, lay the back seat down to access the trunk space.
Update: the model 3 trunk will open with the 1UP rack (with 3 tray configuration) is in the upright position fully folded against the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: e-FTW
The Model 3 hitch receiver is an aftermarket item. Installation involves removing the bumper cover, replacing the stamped bumper mounts with the hitch receiver, and cutting a hole in the rear undertray where the receiver attaches. I had a Tesla-approved auto body shop install mine, and it was about $500 for the installation. I got quotes from a couple of places in SoCal, and they were within $50 of each other. If you have the tools, and are confident in your ability to remove and reinstall interior and body pieces, you can DiY. But I didn’t want to take the risk of messing up and having to redo parts of the installation.

Tesla Model 3 (2017 - Present)
Hey 2TNE, I'm getting the EcoHitch Stealth for our Model 3 as well, but am having trouble finding a shop in San Diego to do the install. Who did you ultimately end up using? Any feedback on the hitch or the cargo carrier you are using? Thanks in advance!

My setup is a Rockymounts Splitrail. It easily carries our 2 fifty pound ebikes. The hitch installation is fairly easy with basic tools. I too turned off sensor warning chimes.
IMG_6368.jpg