Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with damaged hood before pick up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get a call this morning to confirm pick up tomorrow morning. Several hours later I get another call stating bad news that the detailers found the hood was dented in shipping and would have to go to the body shop. I’m obviously dismayed with this news and wondered what options are actually available to me. The car has been fully paid for (Texas issue). Any chance to reject delivery and get a replacement one?

There are several “reject and replace” threads here in forums ..only thing that sux is you already paid for car ...I guess it’s an individual preference on if you can tolerate having a “repaired” car ..this most likely will involve some painting and painting always hard to match especially depending on color choice

There are several “reject and replace” threads here in forums ..only thing that sux is you already paid for car

What I did to prevent this kind of unfortunate timing problem (if my car had a problem) is pay with a convenience check from my credit union. They don't get my money until I give them the check from my credit union and they don't get the check unless I get the car.

There are several “reject and replace” threads here in forums ..only thing that sux is you already paid for car ...I guess it’s an individual preference on if you can tolerate having a “repaired” car ..this most likely will involve some painting and painting always hard to match especially depending on color choice
I’m going to talk to them tomorrow about the replace idea. They only presented repair or reject.

Isn’t reject the same as they will order you another one ? If so than question I guess is how they will compensate for your loss of use ...I seen on X forum a member rejected and while they are building new one he got an X loaner ...either way Tesla will take care of you ...sorry to hear this happen :(

Get a call this morning to confirm pick up tomorrow morning. Several hours later I get another call stating bad news that the detailers found the hood was dented in shipping and would have to go to the body shop. I’m obviously dismayed with this news and wondered what options are actually available to me. The car has been fully paid for (Texas issue). Any chance to reject delivery and get a replacement one?

Chill, wait for the car to be presented to you again and then decide. Could have just been a small ding that the detailers saw. Probably wasn't a huge hole.

I've had my MC Red Model S painted three times from rear end collisions and the paint has matched perfectly each time, except once*. There's no reason to unilaterally reject a car because of a repainted hood. Look at it first and decide based upon the quality in this specific instance.

*And, if you're in Dallas, make sure that they use Trade Secret, and not John Eagle. The one time it didn't match was when John Eagle painted it and it looked like a blind, drunken painter had sprayed it. Overspray on the rubber, drips, runs, puddles. It was a joke. Trade Secret may be slow sometimes but they have done a much better job.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
Two new wrinkles after phone call to service center. They would like me to take a look at the car (although they couldn't tell me if the hood is even there) and then added another option of having a new hood sent from the factory. I asked about timing both for the new hood as well as getting a new VIN and got no real answer. The saga continues.

Reactions: P85_DA
Went to the Houston Service Center yesterday. They are going to get back to me regarding time frame for having a new hood sent from Cali vs. obtaining a new VIN. I have been reading that Tesla parts are hard to come by at the moment (probably because of ramping up new car production) so it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to quicker to get the entire car replaced than a new hood.

Update: Service Center just telephoned that a new hood was sent to the body shop and will be prepped and painted. No real downside because if I don't like the way it looks they will replace the car. Hopefully, I can take delivery of the car sometime later next week.

Last edited:
3FDC17C0-A2F5-426D-98DB-88116F8E31F4.jpeg
I was looking at the model 3’s yesterday and it looks like some do come damaged like this 1. It was there for 10 days in repair. 1month later after repair still not delivered on July 24th.