Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with HW2.5 on 2019.40.50.7 stops for stop sign at end of freeway exit ramp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Recently installed the .7 version of 2019.40.50.x, my 3 did not receive any of the earlier versions. My car now does something that it has never done before: when I have the nav set to my home as the destination and the car while on NOA automatically takes the freeway exit nearest my house, if I leave it on NOA after it take the exit the car will come to a stop at the stop sign at the end of the exit ramp. The deceleration is gradual, but it clearly stops at the correct place, a few feet before the white line marking where to stop. This occurs when there is no vehicle in front of me on the exit ramp.

Before this version it would just go through the stop sign if I let it, which of course I never did. My 3 has EAP with HW2.5 (took delivery Aug 2019) not FSD.

Note: since my car is HW2.5 I do not see the latest Driving Visualization improvements; the display does not show stop signs, stop lights, cones, etc. But it appears that the car does detect the stop sign at the end of that exit ramp. I need to try it on other exit ramps when on NOA set to different destinations.

Reactions: J1mbo
...if I leave it on NOA after it take the exit the car will come to a stop...

I don't know about the stop sign but when I first got NOA until now there's no change in stopping behavior once NOA is completed and undisturbed and when there's no leading car in front.

That means once NOA exits, it gives a warning that NOA is completed and if there's no leading car in front and I don't press any pedals, the car would automatically stop whether there's a stop sign or not.

At the end of NOA, I can press the accelerator to abort the end-of-NOA stop and the car would continue to drive.

At the end of NOA, if there's a leading car, it might follow that leading car without me pressing on the accelerator to abort the end-of-NOA stop.

Reactions: croman
I thought NoA always did this. Took the exit and stopped at the end of the ramp. That’s what it did in all the videos I saw from way back when. Nothing to do with new stop sign visualization or not.
You may well be correct that since the introduction of NOA in V9 that was the expected behavior, but prior to my latest firmware version of 2019.40.50.7, when on NOA my HW2.5 EAP car has never stopped on its own at the end of an exit ramp where there is a stop sign. It has slowed on the exit ramp but not below at least 10mph and I have always taken over because it appeared to me that the car was going to go through the stop sign. Maybe there were some exit ramps where it would have worked as you described but I started turning NOA off while on the ramp and well before the stop sign because I did not have confidence that the car would stop appropriately.

I need to do some more testing, and on different exit ramps. Will report back!

True...All of my freeway exits end a a red light. I have never had NOA stop the car after exiting the freeway unless a car in front was present and stopped first.

It does for certain exits. Has done this for a while. Can't rely on it but your IC will tell you certain messages about NoA ending in X feet and it requires accelerator depression before it will resume under normal AP.

It does for certain exits. Has done this for a while. Can't rely on it but your IC will tell you certain messages about NoA ending in X feet and it requires accelerator depression before it will resume under normal AP.

I wasn’t referring to NOA ending but the
car stopping on its own after an exit while using NOA. The only thing that stops IS NOA LOL . Never done it once for me with 30k* miles on my new Raven S

when on NOA my HW2.5 EAP car has never stopped on its own at the end of an exit ramp where there is a stop sign. It has slowed on the exit ramp but not below at least 10mph and I have always taken over because it appeared to me that the car was going to go through the stop sign.
Could it be that, rather than autopilot detecting the stop, you've switched from "Creep" to "Hold"?

I have never once turned on Creep. I do not want my EV to behave like an ICE.
I mean technically now your car’s behavior is like a fake ICE manual transmission... ;)

Have you had a chance to test on other off-ramps yet?

OT: I had creep on because it was easier to make small, single pedal, adjustments when parking. Switched to hold once that was an option. Definitely had pedal confusion at first.

Reactions: vinnie97