Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Circumstances have me re-evaluating my Model 3 reservation. For those with young kids, or those expecting -- how do you anticipate the size of the M3 will work for you?

Also, for those with the model S as well...how does the sunroof work out for kids with rear facing carseats? is the tinting enough where the sun isn't a b!tch?

This wouldn't be the primary family car, but will need to accomodate kids so for the next 5-8 years so i want to make sure it's a good fit. I'm confident in the safety of the car, but could use some wisdom on the joys and struggles of having kids and driving a sedan. Thanks!

Circumstances have me re-evaluating my Model 3 reservation. For those with young kids, or those expecting -- how do you anticipate the size of the M3 will work for you?

Also, for those with the model S as well...how does the sunroof work out for kids with rear facing carseats? is the tinting enough where the sun isn't a b!tch?

This wouldn't be the primary family car, but will need to accomodate kids so for the next 5-8 years so i want to make sure it's a good fit. I'm confident in the safety of the car, but could use some wisdom on the joys and struggles of having kids and driving a sedan. Thanks!

I've got a 3-series BMW coupe that is about the same size as the model 3 will be. Its never been an issue for short trips. If you're not to tall and don't need the seat all the way back it'd be fine for long trips too.

We've had our S when the kids where rear facing and they were never bothered by the Pano. The tint on it is quite dark.

• Helpful
Reactions: flamingoezz
I've got two kids, 4 and 9. They're doing fine in the Misubishi Lancer I'm driving now. If anything I'd expect a little more leg room and head room. I am a little concerned about glare coming thru the glass roof, especially in the summer but as with most things I'm waiting for the next reveal and the ability to see it in person.

I believe these were from the MotorTrend shoot...
IMG_0867.jpg
IMG_0868.jpg
IMG_0869.jpg

As a second car you can use pretty much anything with four doors as long as you have at most two kids. We had two sedans up until our second one was born, and even took the first on a weekend vacation in the IS250 because it had tinted rear windows. Only reason we're ditching it is that for three kids it's really cramped even for short trips, and the shape makes getting the kids in pretty hard.

Once they are out of car seats, kids are young and agile enough to climb in on their own.

I remember my brother and sister and I growing up. From as far back as I can remember (in the 70s), we never had car seats or seat belts, the only argument was who went over whose borders (lines) in the rear seat that denoted each of our "areas". Nowadays kids are mollycoddled with seats and seat belts and helmets and all that stuff.

Our only family car is an early-model Civic sedan. Our family of four did a 4300 km road trip this past summer without issue. I'm banking on the Model 3 being roof rack compatible so when we have three kids we can still take longer trips and bring fun toys like bikes, etc. Elon has stated (and it is easily believable) that three car seats across should be do-able in the Model 3 so long as narrow seats are selected.

Off topic: Children death rates and injury rates have dropped significantly as car seats have improved and are used more. I don't consider that 'mollycoddling' personally. Our kids will be in some sort of car seat until they are double-digits in age. Why not?

Reactions: melindav
Our only family car is an early-model Civic sedan. Our family of four did a 4300 km road trip this past summer without issue. I'm banking on the Model 3 being roof rack compatible so when we have three kids we can still take longer trips and bring fun toys like bikes, etc. Elon has stated (and it is easily believable) that three car seats across should be do-able in the Model 3 so long as narrow seats are selected.

Off topic: Children death rates and injury rates have dropped significantly as car seats have improved and are used more. I don't consider that 'mollycoddling' personally. Our kids will be in some sort of car seat until they are double-digits in age. Why not?
Way to go on rolling with the Civic! Model 3 will be our family car (and only car), and I've been thinking the exact same thing - roof rack to store any extra crap on longer trips. We currently have 1 toddler and plan to have another within the next few years, and fit a medium size luggage, Nuna Rava car seat, Nuna Mixx stroller, diaper bag, and backpack, into our Acura ILX for longer trips (no roof rack). A Model 3 with a roof rack should be perfect for a family of 4!

I imagine two kids back there would fit just fine, just like any other mid-size sedan. The real trick is if you have three. I saw someone do it with a 5-series BMW but that's a larger car.

For the record, you can fit two forward-facing (or one rear-facing) car seats in the back of a late-model Mustang, so it depends on how determined you are to make it happen. :)

From as far back as I can remember (in the 70s), we never had car seats or seat belts
In the 70s (I was probably about 5yo), I remember my sister and I riding in the bed of the pickup truck with nothing but sleeping bags.
As we drove from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh. :eek:
Hey, the truck had a cap on the bed, so we were mollycoddled, I guess.

It's amazing that we're still alive.

Just wait until they get backpack strap wrapped around the display, and then bolt out the door.
Robin
The mounting pedestal looks pretty substantial (about half the width of the display). I guess the display itself might snap, but the strap would have to be pulled directly towards the rear rather than sideways, which is the direction the kid exits the vehicle. Also note the left edge of the display is very close to the steering wheel and far away from the front passenger seat, so the likelihood of a backpack strap getting looped around it is low.
full

In the 70s (I was probably about 5yo), I remember my sister and I riding in the bed of the pickup truck with nothing but sleeping bags.
As we drove from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh. :eek:
Hey, the truck had a cap on the bed, so we were mollycoddled, I guess.

It's amazing that we're still alive.
Two adults, two teens, four kids in a VW Beetle. Adults in front, teens in back with one kid in-between and another on various laps, two littlest ones stowed in the space behind the rear seats. SF to Disneyland and back. I shudder thinking back to the good old days! :D

The mounting pedestal looks pretty substantial (about half the width of the display). I guess the display itself might snap, but the strap would have to be pulled directly towards the rear rather than sideways, which is the direction the kid exits the vehicle. Also note the left edge of the display is very close to the steering wheel and far away from the front passenger seat, so the likelihood of a backpack strap getting looped around it is low.
full

Very interesting view, and one I hadn't seen before. Thanks!
Robin

I've got 3 little kids (5yo twins and a 1.5 yo) and am able to lug my whole family around in my Model S on trips <1 hour. My youngest is rear facing and loves riding in the car with the glass sunroof - its almost rejects as much heat as a solid roof. He loves the rear facing visibility and being able to look up out of it at buildings, trees, etc. My twins for the most part ride in the rear-facing jump seats - I have a "Noggle" piping HVAC back there since it can get warm in the summer even with tint. With this setup, I've lugged around 4 adults and 3 kids in my Model S.