Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with run flat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED a Tesla employee gave me wrong info. I've talked with at least 7 different Tesla employees at this point and this is really common. If they don't know an answer they pull one out of their butts. Man, these guys really need to get their act together. I realize their a new company and demand is outpacing supply, but if they don't start acting with competence they'll pay in the long run.

Great car though

Reactions: ThiagoSnow and TT97
Has anyone seen this? How does the sealant get to the puncture if this is in the way?

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 12.48.52 PM.png

Thats not sealant, its quietner, there is a youtube video on a guy cutting tire open.
You would hate the car if it had run flats. They ride like rocks. They came on last 2 Vettes. Hated them.

Yea I agree I hate run flats.

But what I meant to say is how does Tesla's Tire repair sealant kit work if the sound deadening pad is in the way? If the nail punctures the tire dead center of the tread, how will the sealant GOO reach it?

If we get a flat does Tesla roadside bring you a loaner wheel till you can patch yours up?

I would like that.

Yes, Tesla gives you a loaner wheel. When I had my flat, it took them over 4 hours to get a loaner wheel to my vehicle. Had I actually been on the side of the road and not at a friend's place, I would have been pissed.

I just dismounted each tire from its 19” wheel, ripped out the silencing pad and threw it away, then remounted and balanced the tires. Now the sealant will work (BTW, these new formulations do not harm pressure sensors) without that POS pad in the way. Not only will this get me out of a jam if and when needed, the tire can now be professionall repaired as the silencing pad will not be there to soak up the sealant like a sponge.... and guess what, I don’t notice them being any louder! Silencing pads... what a joke!

• Informative
Reactions: steve in socal
I would have been in quite a bit of trouble if it wasn’t for the fact that I had run flat tires when I got a flat on New York City’s East River (FDR)Drive. I cannot imagine what I would’ve done since I was in a really bad neighborhood and did not have a spare tire in my vehicle. It was a holiday weekend and I had to wait three days to get a new tire on my car. I still remember the vehicle was able to roll up onto the flatbed since the tire maintained it’s form Despite the lack of any air in it. The fact that they may be noisy, the fact that they may be expensive, the fact that anything is not good about them to me is immaterial. I think it’s really ridiculous to have a very expensive car and have to wait for help because you don’t have a spare tire or a run flat on the car. Ridiculous and also dangerous .

Reactions: steve in socal
I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED a Tesla employee gave me wrong info. I've talked with at least 7 different Tesla employees at this point and this is really common. If they don't know an answer they pull one out of their butts. Man, these guys really need to get their act together. I realize their a new company and demand is outpacing supply, but if they don't start acting with competence they'll pay in the long run.

Great car though
I agree 100%. Every time I call Tesla support I always hang up frustrated and desperate of how bad customer service is. I have a model 3, I understand for the increasing of sales made them have to expand the amount of people working there also all the pressure on them. But when I got into Tesla, it was because I believed it was a brand new idea of business. But they are lacking on the basics of a small company which is customer service. For me the worst thing was the fact that I wanted to buy the autopilot after my trial period and they made it so hard that became impossible and I gave up. They got me so frustrated knowing that they are firing employees because of the sales going down when they have this big opportunity of making money with the autopilot and they are not caring about it.

For what its worth, here's our Emergency Roadside Kit. It’s not perfect, but it all fits snugly and securely with straps. We fashioned a perfectly fitted cover (not shown) out of lightweight black FoamCore with pull handle that fits on top of the frunk opening. This protects the under-hood if something were to come loose in the Frunk. BTW, I was recently told by Conti-Tire Engineers that the use of the Tesla Goo Sealant Kit will not only destroy the run-silent tire, rendering it unbalanceable, it voids the new tire warranty and will most likely not even work. Therefore we removed the Goo-Cartridge from the Tesla Kit (to prevent anyone from ever using it) and will only use the Pump to refill the tire after we insert a temporary rope-plug. Now these rope plugs will NOT WORK if your tires still have the run-silent foam pads inside them. We removed these pads and remounted/balanced the tires. PLAESE KEEP THAT IN MIND. We did extensive testing with the Audi A6 crank floor-jack. It worked but barely. It felt way too stressed so we decided to abandoned the idea and installed a compact aluminum floor unit. (Please see pixs)

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.51.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 1.29.48 PM.png

I am curious about your statement that rope type temporary plugs will not work with the foam inserts in the stock tires. Has anyone else had this experience?

I am still running my P4S on my 20" rims and have a rope kit and air pump to make a temporary fix to a damaged tire. I guess I just assumed that the rope would still work well enough to get me to a tire repair place.

I am curious about your statement that rope type temporary plugs will not work with the foam inserts in the stock tires. Has anyone else had this experience?

I am still running my P4S on my 20" rims and have a rope kit and air pump to make a temporary fix to a damaged tire. I guess I just assumed that the rope would still work well enough to get me to a tire repair place.

Hey Vines, we thought the same until we found out the hard way they don't work, and if they do, its brief. There's now an investigation by numerous State Attorneys as to why Tesla equipped their cars with Goo-Sealant Kits that don't work, ruins the tires, voids their warranties thus requiring expensive replacements and strands their customers in an effort to defraud State Regulators so they could sell their cars in the State that require a Roadside Tire E-Kit, not just roadside assistance!

Briefly, rope plugs require the back surface of the tread inside the tire to be free of debris, dirt and especially a FOAM SILENCING SPONGE to work properly... After inserting the plug, its the swift removal of the tool that creates a seal on the backside by bunching up the plug from behind. Air pressure crunches the plug even more creating even a better seal. But if the silencing pad sponge is in the way, it will not seal properly, and if it does, not for very long... if ever. That's why we removed the pads from inside our tires... now the rope-plugs can work as designed. BTW, we noticed no noticeable increase in noise. They're a gimmick...

Good luck!

Last edited:
So do all 3 tire variations offered in the model 3 have this pad? I have the stock 20 inch tires that came on my P3 and wondering if this is a Tesla 'innovation' on the tires or whatever Michelin built for these tires? If it's Michelin then I am sure they are equipping other manufacturers as well, right?

Hey Vines, we thought the same until we found out the hard way they don't work, and if they do, its brief. There's now an investigation by numerous State Attorneys as to why Tesla equipped their cars with Goo-Sealant Kits that don't work, ruins the tires, voids their warranties thus requiring expensive replacements and strands their customers in an effort to defraud State Regulators so they could sell their cars in the State that require a Roadside Tire E-Kit, not just roadside assistance!

Briefly, rope plugs require the back surface of the tread inside the tire to be free of debris, dirt and especially a FOAM SILENCING SPONGE to work properly... After inserting the plug, its the swift removal of the tool that creates a seal on the backside by bunching up the plug from behind. Air pressure crunches the plug even more creating even a better seal. But if the silencing pad sponge is in the way, it will not seal properly, and if it does, not for very long... if ever. That's why we removed the pads from inside our tires... now the rope-plugs can work as designed. BTW, we noticed no noticeable increase in noise. They're a gimmick...

Good luck!

Good information, thanks for letting me know. I had the tires off, should have removed the foam then. Lesson learned.
I'll make sure that if I do have to use my rope kit, that I only use it for a limited time and monitor the pressure carefully.

I was looking at Costco Tire center the other day and saw that they have the runflat Bridgestone DriveGuard for the Model 3 18". They seem to have pretty good reviews. I wonder if anyone with Model 3 18" switched to those? And how do they compare with the MXM4.