Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 won’t start, help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of new model 3 yesterday. I live in upstate New York so had to take delivery in NYC and drive 6 hours home. I didn’t mind, loved the ride, love the car. Used my first supercharger already. Got home, took wife and kids out to dinner. After dinner, screen won’t turn on.

I am able to put the car in drive, but no screen, or anything that comes with it. (It’s 90 degrees and I have food in the frunk if anyone has a tip on how to open that without a screen).

Roadside assistance had me try to reboot by holding down buttons with and without brake. Had me lock, walk away for an hour and over night. Nothing. They’re sending a tow truck tomorrow to come take it back. Anyone out there have any thoughts?

If you're able to put the car in drive and actually drive it, most of the computers have to be on, working correctly, and communicating with each other.

If you're getting no response from the screen even from a hard reboot but it's still driveable, my guess is a hardware problem with the screen itself.

Whatever it is, the service center will sort it out for you.

Reactions: SageBrush
It probably is wrong, I really didn’t know what to say. But it is more than just a bad lcd screen, like nothing is coming on. No air, no music, no internal lighting. I was actually really surprised when it went into drive.

Also the app says cant connect, that the car is “waking up” and roadside assistance couldn’t connect to it either.

So maybe all that is expected behavior if the screen won’t turn on, I’ve only had a Tesla for a few hours so I have lots to learn.

So is it accurate that there is no manual way into the frunk? I can’t find anything on the internet that says there is.

1. The car can actually still be driven. The AC, interior lights, etc. are all computer controlled from the MCU.
2. You can open the Frunk by using a small 9V battery and a couple of wires by opening the tow hook cover and connecting to the leads that come to the cover.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I had the exact same thing happen to my car on Thursday morning. I was able to drive the car, but the screen went totally black a few minutes into my drive to work.

I called Roadside Assistance and they advised me to do the double-button-foot-on-the-brake maneuver. The screen came back on for a few minutes, but with no LTE connection (so RA couldn't diagnose anything) and no app connection. They sent a truck to pick it up, and it has been at the Tampa service center since then. They called yesterday to advise that they had a part coming from the factory , and it should be ready by Monday afternoon.

Odd thing is, I can now connect reliably via the app, and the GPS screen shows the car parked inside the service center.

Screenshot_20180713-084452_Tesla.jpg

Meanwhile, I'm driving a rental car provided by Tesla (I'm too far from the service center for them to send me a car).

I've read on other forums that this is a symptom of the 12V battery being dead, due to a fault in the circuit that charges the 12V cell from the main battery. It sure sounds like your car has the exact same issue.

Good luck, and I think (hope!) it is a simple, one-time fix.

--Les in FL

Took delivery of new model 3 yesterday. I live in upstate New York so had to take delivery in NYC and drive 6 hours home. I didn’t mind, loved the ride, love the car. Used my first supercharger already. Got home, took wife and kids out to dinner. After dinner, screen won’t turn on.

I am able to put the car in drive, but no screen, or anything that comes with it. (It’s 90 degrees and I have food in the frunk if anyone has a tip on how to open that without a screen).

Roadside assistance had me try to reboot by holding down buttons with and without brake. Had me lock, walk away for an hour and over night. Nothing. They’re sending a tow truck tomorrow to come take it back. Anyone out there have any thoughts?

I have this same exact issue. I brought my car to get tints/paint protection (total 48 miles on the car). I received a call from the shop saying that the screen isn't turning on. I called Tesla and was told to try the scroll wheel reboot but no luck.

Car still drives but you must tap the key card on the center console. Tesla app shows my car as offline (vehicle connection error). I have no way to see how much the car is charged. I can't see how fast I am driving. I can't hear my blinkers working, but they do work. Can't turn on AC so it is burning hot. I scheduled to drive the car into service on Wednesday 7/18.

I'm still able to pop frunk/trunk and lock/unlock doors as the phone key still partially works when I'm in range. Phone key doesn't work to start the car, view battery, view location, turn on ac.

Do you think it might have been a bad firmware update. The majority of the issues we've seen were firmware related AFAIK.

That’s all well and good but the three cars I’ve ever owned were all new and under $25,000. 1999 Jetta, 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, and 2013 Hyundai Elantra. None of them ever left me stranded in 6-10 years of driving, let alone a week in a $55,000 car.