Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 won't look like other cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we can take his statement quite literally. Franz and others repeatedly referred to wanting to design something more "traditional" with the Model S, specifically with a nose-hood-cabin-trunk, since the novelty of electric vehicles, the user interface, etc was already so advanced - so as not to shock the consumer. This was usually followed by some statement referring to the Model III, stating that it would push boundaries of design and take more full advantage of the skateboard design. I would bet that this car will truly look like nothing like anything we have seen to a significant degree

Yes, I remember the first part, they didn't want to shock the consumer with their first car. But I don't remember the second part where they say they'll have wide latitude with the gen III. Got any references?

Yes, I remember the first part, they didn't want to shock the consumer with their first car. But I don't remember the second part where they say they'll have wide latitude with the gen III. Got any references?

I will try to find the interview of which I am thinking when I get a chance - this at least provides a reference to "more radical" styling with the Model III:

Tesla designer reveals future EV models - CNET

Elon insists on good esthetics so while I would expect Tesla to be willing to go against convention, they would still want to make a beautiful car.

Personally, I'd go for the Model U(gly) if it's more efficient. You can't see it when you're using it, and you can rarely see it when you're not using it, so why care so much about how it looks?
In other cases you may not need to.

But in this case: If it isn't sufficiently aesthetically pleasing – then: Will it sell in enough numbers?

What if it doesn't sell?

Then there's no longer a Tesla Motors. Not a good scenario IMO...

That’s why you too should care about aesthetics in this case.

Why risk it all by releasing a Model 3 that isn’t perceived by a vast majority as aesthetically pleasing?

How about something from Jason Hill at Design by 11.

aerolight-3.jpg

Coming out of the woodwork here:

This forum overflows with praises extolling the wonderful looks of the Model S.

I love my P85 as I never have felt about any prior automobile. HOWEVER...it took me a long time before I was accustomed to its exterior. Sleek? - sure. Aerodynamic-looking? - not a doubt. Different? Well...no, not to my eyes. Looked a lot like a handful of other autos, from Italian to Japanese to Korean.

I'm used to it now, but if I were the King of Aesthenia, the Model S wouldn't have received anything better than a Gentleman's C.

One of the things I like about the Model S is the very fact that it looks "normal." If the Model 3 winds up Leaf-ugly or screams "Look at me, I'm driving an EV!" (think 1st gen Prius or Insight), I'm out.

And I don't buy this "an EV can look different" BS. It's still a car. It needs 4 wheels, doors, and glass. As someone posted up-thread, cars look the way they do because form follows function.

Aside from not needing a radiator, there isn't much different about an EV's outward appearance.

- - - Updated - - -

I love my P85 as I never have felt about any prior automobile. HOWEVER...it took me a long time before I was accustomed to its exterior. Sleek? - sure. Aerodynamic-looking? - not a doubt. Different? Well...no, not to my eyes. Looked a lot like a handful of other autos, from Italian to Japanese to Korean.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, IMO.

And I don't buy this "an EV can look different" BS. It's still a car. It needs 4 wheels, doors, and glass. As someone posted up-thread, cars look the way they do because form follows function.]

It's not just the radiator, it's the entire space forward of the cabin traditionally used to house an engine that is unnecessary in an EV. Having an empty frunk there just shows that area is there just to look like a normal car, not for any practical reason. Otherwise you might end up with something that looks like this:

microjoule2.jpg

It's not just the radiator, it's the entire space forward of the cabin traditionally used to house an engine that is unnecessary in an EV. Having an empty frunk there just shows that area is there just to look like a normal car, not for any practical reason. Otherwise you might end up with something that looks like this:

View attachment 68414
Remember, it's not just a frunk, it's a crumple zone. Would you want to drive a car with your legs in the crumple zone? Thanks, but no thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I like having the largest crumble zone in the world in the front -- AKA the Frunk - I think that would be an acceptable design and give the smaller vehicle an extremely high crash rating...
Oh, yeah, what he said...:redface:

I remember elon taking a question (at a shareholders meeting) about hub cap aerodynamics and how a flat disk hubcaps improves range, but look terrible.
Elon responded with "we are working on some thing's that we think you will like" (something along those lines).
We are yet to see anything so either it was just elon doing his thing or they are saving it for model3 because what they have planned needs a different form factor.

My expectations:

- The frunk on the Model 3 is eliminated. Instead, the Model 3 has a smaller nose, and comes standard with a front wheel drive unit. The Performance Model 3 will have an optional rear wheel drive unit, for AWD, at the cost of trunk space.
- Tesla takes the falcon-wing doors of the Model X to the next level. The regular front doors are gone and instead the sides open up. Like the Quant e-Sportlimousine: QUANT e-Sportlimousine by nanoFLOWCELL AG

why do they all end up with SVX windows?
Because the big outer window is too big to fit inside the door. The smaller inner glass piece exists so that you have a window you can roll down.

I'm in the camp that believes that the Model 3 needs to look good but not too radical. If it's going to sell something in the vicinity of 100,000 units per year the looks have to not offend a lot of people.

I think you mean ~400.000 units per year by 2020.

And I agree, the styling can't be freaky. It needs to look good. But the most important thing is that it's extremely practical. As long as it accomplishes this, it can be different-looking.

I completely disagree. Practical is great but functional and good looking are what sells. I think the only way it can be freaky is if it is absolutely AMAZING in all other categories. No reason to be freaky just to do it. And revolutionary does not need to be freaky.

In other cases you may not need to.

But in this case: If it isn't sufficiently aesthetically pleasing – then: Will it sell in enough numbers?

What if it doesn't sell?

Then there's no longer a Tesla Motors. Not a good scenario IMO...

That’s why you too should care about aesthetics in this case.

Why risk it all by releasing a Model 3 that isn’t perceived by a vast majority as aesthetically pleasing?

For Model 3, they need esthetics since they'll be more in the luxury end. If they go further downmarket for Model 4, it won't matter so much: how many mainstream cars look special?