Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 won't wake up from app OR in the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've not driven my model 3 for a couple of days but it has been plugged in the whole time. This morning the app was hanging with the "waking up..." message. I went to the car which did open with the bluetooth phone key but the screen would not wake up. I managed to reboot it by holding down the two scroll wheels.

It is a bit disconcerting this happened, especially as the car is less than a month old. There hadn't been a software update as far as I can tell.

Should I worry about this and report it?

Cheers.

I've not driven my model 3 for a couple of days but it has been plugged in the whole time. This morning the app was hanging with the "waking up..." message. I went to the car which did open with the bluetooth phone key but the screen would not wake up. I managed to reboot it by holding down the two scroll wheels.

It is a bit disconcerting this happened, especially as the car is less than a month old. There hadn't been a software update as far as I can tell.

Cheers.

I had that happen once last year.

It's things like this that still make me hesitate to recommend a Tesla to my wife (even though the new SR Model Y would meet her needs well). I'm an electrical engineer and comfortable around technology, and I could deal with something like this easily, but she could not and would quickly get frustrated.

How does she handle it when her phone bugs out? Because all of them do at one point or another.

How does she handle it when her phone bugs out? Because all of them do at one point or another.

To be honest, I cannot remember a time her iPhone (current XR or old SE) encountered a problem that prevented it from starting up or being used. And quite frankly, if her phone craps out during the day, she can get by until that evening or the next day when I can fix it. I guess she's a bit of a luddite, lol :)

With a well-maintained car, she (reasonably, IMO) expects that she will get in it and it will start and get her to her destination. That has been the case with our 2012 Volt. It would not be a good day if she got in the car to go to a medical appointment or to take our dog to a competition and it didn't start up because of a software glitch.

I have had problems with the Telsa app waking up and even working as a key since the wife and I upgraded to the iPhone 12. I think that the Tesla app needs some work.

This week I have had the Telsa app hang on waking up and the phone was not working as a bluetooh key (closing and re opening the app fixed it)

To be honest, I cannot remember a time her iPhone (current XR or old SE) encountered a problem that prevented it from starting up or being used. And quite frankly, if her phone craps out during the day, she can get by until that evening or the next day when I can fix it. I guess she's a bit of a luddite, lol :)

With a well-maintained car, she (reasonably, IMO) expects that she will get in it and it will start and get her to her destination. That has been the case with our 2012 Volt. It would not be a good day if she got in the car to go to a medical appointment or to take our dog to a competition and it didn't start up because of a software glitch.

My wife's been driving either my (or, as of June, her) Tesla for almost 2 years now. She's not a technophile like me, so I was a little hesitant.... it's been absolutely fine. The only challenge has been getting her to let me know if something isn't right. Otherwise she's perfectly comfortable with it all. I showed her the 2-finger salute and she hasn't had to use it once. Guess that's a good thing!

The only challenge has been getting her to let me know if something isn't right.

Yeah, I hear you :) It sometimes goes like this if I haven't been in the car for a little while:

Me: Hmmm, has the car been making that sound for a long time?
Her: Sound? What sound?
Me: Nevermind, I'll take care of it. (The last time, it was the rear brake pads wearing down to the wear indicators)

Or also:

Me: Hi my dear, was the Malfunction Indicator Light on the last time you used the car? It wasn't when I last used it. (also referred to as Check Engine, but less relevant by that name in a PHEV)
Her: Yeah, that orange light has been on for a few days now, but the car works fine so no big deal.

Apologies for derailing the thread, but I think the OP's question has already been answered anyways.

Cheers for this, I'm quite happy around computers etc but it is a bit offputting when the car is dead and undrivable. I don't like the idea that one day maybe I'll do the two finger salute and the Tesla logo won't appear on the screen!

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I don't like the idea that one day maybe I'll do the two finger salute and the Tesla logo won't appear on the screen!

That happened to me just yesterday.

Last evening I was waiting to pick up take out. I had the car on and Spotify playing. When I got my sushi I entered a destination and the screen went black. I tried the two-button reset. Nada. I tried reset with brake, more nothing. I put on the turn signal to pull out from the curb... no signal. I thought, “Thus us bad. It isn’t just entertainment that us affected.”

I put it into drive and started to pull out. The turn signal started, then a few seconds later the Tesla logo appeared, then music started. Within a couple of minutes, everything was back to normal.

Earlier in the day a friend had been telling me about his Jeep. Sometimes it won’t start when he presses the start button. He tried many things unsuccessfully. Then he discovered that if he opens the driver door and clises it, his Jeep will start.

Go figure. Electronics sometimes are finicky.

I tried reset with brake, more nothing. I put on the turn signal to pull out from the curb... no signal. I thought, “Thus us bad. It isn’t just entertainment that us affected.”

So two things here ...
#1 - holding the brake down has no effect. It's exactly the same as just pressing the two steering wheel buttons. This old wives' tale was debunked a while ago.
#2 - Just FYI - the turn signal IS still working in that state. If you were to look at the taillights, you'd actually see them blinking; you just didn't get the audible or visual indicators that they're on ... but they're working. Which is infuriating because - due to Tesla's silly stalk design - you don't really know if they're on or off. At least on the S/X, the stalk clicks into place and clicks out of place.

It's things like this that still make me hesitate to recommend a Tesla to my wife (even though the new SR Model Y would meet her needs well). I'm an electrical engineer and comfortable around technology, and I could deal with something like this easily, but she could not and would quickly get frustrated.

This is pretty much every modern car, though. I am not trying to make light of your concern (in the slightest), but, for example, one of my co workers bought a new jeep rubicon last year (brand new, factory ordered), and it has been to the dealer several times for software issues.

Almost every modern car has some software platform or other running it, screens, bluetooth integration, etc etc. This is what car buyers of new cars in the past few years want. The biggest difference is, for most other cars, any changes to the software require someone to either download something on a USB and go through some process, or take it to the dealer to update.

Tesla is FORCING other manufacturers to consider OTA updates, which is a good thing in my opinion.

So, unless you are going to buy your wife an older used car, you are going to have to deal with HER dealing with some software platform or other, and all that entails.

As a side note, I have the reverse of the issue you are describing with my wife. My wife tends to be a "worry wart" type so I get to hear about EVERY "strange noise" etc not only for the car, but for every other "system" in our home (plumbing, electrical, etc etc). She will remind me "its been 6 months since you replaced the air filters, you told me you would replace them every 6 months... I have it on our family calendar thats supposed to be this weekend..." (lol).

We have been married 34 years, so this isnt new, or unexpected, and to be completely fair, I dont mind it because we always have what we need and want in the home, and things tend to be done on time, etc.

Last edited:
Almost every modern car has some software platform or other running it, screens, bluetooth integration, etc etc.

Quoted for truth. Here’s an example...

My wife’s prior Buick had an engine start/stop “feature”, that couldn’t be disabled.

One day, on a fairly steep incline, she stops for a red light. Light turns green, she lets go of the brake, hits the gas, and the car started lurching and then rolled backwards. Engine started, sputtered, died and had no power.

She had to shift into park, shut the entire vehicle down and restart. In traffic. Then, it started OK and she was able to get out of the way of all the PO’d drivers behind her.

Had it at the dealership about an hour later. 2 days later they call me and said “yeah, GM knows about it. It doesn’t happen that often so it’s fine.”

Seriously - that’s the answer - we know what it is, but it happens randomly so you probably won’t be unlucky again. Maybe.

The root cause was basically a software timing bug. The cam phasers would be at, say, 65% when the engine shut down. But due to the bug, when it restarted, the ECU memory register for “current cam position” would be reset to 0, so the entire engine was completely out of timing.

A full restart so the phasers could retract to zero and re-sync with the ECU was all that was why it was drivable after the event.

Took GM over 2 years (!!) to release a software fix. And even then, I’d have had to call, convince them I have this problem, schedule time to bring it in, let the dealer spend a day with it flashing the firmware and hopefully it’d solve the problem. I’d almost guarantee that whomever has that Buick now has no idea about any of this.

Tesla types “git push .....” and a critical bug goes away.

So ... yeah, it’s a different experience for the less technically inclined but I’ll argue it’s actually better, since critical problems can be resolved with zero owner interaction.

Cheers.

You have never had a different car malfunction is some way?

Malfunctions are common. I think more of us are OK with that. The 2012 Volt that I mention above had a malfunction in the Infotainment computer that disabled the main touchscreen. So no climate controls, no display screen, and audio controls were limited to steering wheel controls. But the car was still drivable.

Software issues that make the care inoperable are what concerns me.

Reactions: westie10019
I've never owned a car which only has a 15" laptop screen to provide feedback and without which the car is undrivable (pedals and gear stalk dead and phone app was hanging).

A better analogy is "have you never had to hold down the power button to hard reset your phone or Windows laptop?". The answer, of course, is yes but very, very occasionally. Maybe twice in 25 years I've had to reinstall windows due to corruption, but not for a long time.

Obviously having to double scroll wheel reboot the car occasionally isn't more than an inconvenience. However it does indicate something is wrong. Should the double scroll wheel reboot fail to work, this could lead to major inconvenience. And the car is only 3 weeks old which doesn't instill confidence.

I am more than happy to beta test features for tesla as long as glitches are only minor inconvenience.

Cheers.