Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 (wood trim)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've sent an email to . . .
[email protected]

. . . . . . .Sir / Madam, I would love to own a Model 3 but I can’t live with that horrible wood trim; the prospect of looking at that every day is just too much. WHY, why would you put such an ugly trim in the car – please tell me that in next years model it will be black.

Please add your emails to mine

Hey, that's a new approach to getting people on your side ... let's see if it works ... hmm

Reactions: Durzel
Basically with Tesla you get what you are given. If you don't like what they offer (and this applies to anything Tesla like service), its tough. Your option is after market (not a huge amount of choice at present and most product suppliers will be overseas), sucking it up, or not buying a Tesla. Its the Tesla way that they are a (almost) one size fits all company and Tesla think they know best which includes how the car functions which is often very different to how other cars work where manufacturers have nailed it over the years yet Tesla are still finding their feet. If that size doesn't fit, then its tough. Its very different from other vehicle manufacturers, which works for some, but not all and the way they do things seem to change constantly, including the cars and the way they function, for better or worse. Their staff are not sales people, they have no incentive to sell, and whilst some are really helpful, there are also those that are not and some totally arrogant. You will see many references to Tesla being economical with the truth. You can ask 5 Tesla employees the same question, and get 6 different answers - the 6th answer is asking the same employee the question a second time. They seem to like giving you the answer they think you want to hear. But there are signs of improvement, but its still a one size fits all.

Reactions: Peter 224
But a strip of Alcantara can't cost very much and that's all you are paying for because you have to give them your old dashboard.
It is expensive but suspect most of the cost is labour and shipping rather than materials.

The part covered in wood is removed from the dash surround and the glue welds heated up and removed. The wood is then stripped and the base layer sanded and smoothed before the alcantara is applied. It's nicer this way as it doesn't add any additional bulk but is obviously more time consuming than sticking a plastic cap over it. Add on next day shipping for a rather large item and I can start to appreciate the cost.

@Forty_Two More options to cater to individual tastes would be nice. Tesla have recently doubled down on the amount of wood they add though as it's now on the door card inserts where previously it was only ever on the dash so I'm not sure how receptive they'll be to your request.

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is true AND 'fashions change' is also true but the vast majority of people agree on what is asthetically pleasing and what is ugly. There is a reason why Tesla removed the chrome trim and replaced it with black and that reason is because the majority of us didn't like the chrome trim and for that same reason Tesla WILL replace that horrible wood trim it's just a matter of time and I need you to help me to pressure them on getting that done before I take delivery. Of course I also accept that all of you owning an M3 with wood trim have a vested interest in Tesla keeping the wood trim because when they replace it with black it will make your wood trim car look like chitty chitty bang bang but I am sure that the guy in China will have come up with some covering in black soon.

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is true AND 'fashions change' is also true but the vast majority of people agree on what is asthetically pleasing and what is ugly. There is a reason why Tesla removed the chrome trim and replaced it with black and that reason is because the majority of us didn't like the chrome trim and for that same reason Tesla WILL replace that horrible wood trim it's just a matter of time and I need you to help me to pressure them on getting that done before I take delivery. Of course I also accept that all of you owning an M3 with wood trim have a vested interest in Tesla keeping the wood trim because when they replace it with black it will make your wood trim car look like chitty chitty bang bang but I am sure that the guy in China will have come up with some covering in black soon.
I like the chrome and dislike the black, plus I like the wood, so no help from me here!

What is it about a wood trim you dislike so much? I prefer looking at wood compared to an ocean of plastic, this comment isn't a frequent complaint of the car so I doubt one or two emails will change the full layout of the car. But as others say, if you don't like the wood trim, get the white interior. If you don't like either then ... a Tesla may not be for you!

As you say above this is an each to their own situation. I much prefer the chrome trim on my M3 to the black, I also quite like the wood/black seat combo more than the pure white and I also prefer the white paint to the other options (I would’ve gone for silver if that had been an option).

I also think that if they did remove the wood trim tomorrow it wouldn’t make anyone’s M3 with it look outdated or “less than” those without it. It would still be an each to their own scenario. After all, plenty of other cars have had wood trim over the years and sold pretty well/liked by many.

Having said that, I’m not in the habit of putting my opinion down as being right and everyone else as being wrong. I like to think that people on this forum tend to be open minded and reasonable, not the sort that insult other people’s choices simply for not agreeing with their own.

How about we just keep things civil and helpful rather than “ur car’s gonna look like crap”.

Fashions do indeed change. The Tesla trim will change at some point and some will have a preference for one rather than another. Interestingly I used to think that the chrome delete idea looked pretty cool ... but my preference has now swung back. I saw lots of new Tesla Model 3s on a recent long trip visiting several Superchargers and I decided that the chrome delete is not a universally appealing look. Some colours work better than others. Was it because "the majority of us didn't like the chrome" or because a number (a significant minority not a majority) asked for it and Tesla decided to try it on the Model Y ... found it was an easy swap that was actually cheaper to provide as standard and tends to hide any slight trim missalignment perhaps.

Though fashions change I can say something that doesn't change so much is the reaction to a person who assumes that their own taste is shared by everyone else! Aren't you just doing exactly what you accuse Tesla of doing i.e. imposing your design taste on everyone else?

Reactions: BushtrimmmerJr