Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: XPEL PPF & Ceramic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Nupe 1911 I got mine done right away but that was primarily because I had a couple of weeks of overlap between selling my old car and getting the M3 and I needed to have a way to commute to work while I was getting the work on my M3 done. With that being said, I am glad that I got it done right away because at work my car gets a lot of dust (from local construction) and bird droppings on it and the ceramic really does make it so easy to just wipe off.

I agree! The sooner the better. Most paints only need a few days to cure. By the time they're delivered, they're ready. Like AquaDolphin, I had my Xpel clear bra and ceramics done in the first week of receiving it and I'm glad I did.
Good luck with your new 3 and keep us posted! :D

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I just recently took delivery on my red LR Model 3. Right after I got the car, I took it in to get a full PPF, Ceramic Coat and Window Tint using all XPEL products! I love how the car looks (better than new) and the place that I went to was fabulous and did an amazingly detailed job.

My question is if anyone else has had this done using specifically the XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF and the XPEL Fusion Plus Ceramic Coat, how are you taking care of your car? I love that dirt generally slides off of the car easily, but we recently had some wildfires here in Los Angeles and I feel like there's still some char and ashes on my car. I can't easily hand wash the car where I live so I'm just wondering on what everyone else does to clean their car and not damage the PPF or Ceramic Coat.

Also what would you use to get the smell of smoke out of your car? I'm a little bummed that I didn't get to enjoy that new car smell for long! I tried air freshener but that just seems to cover up the smell but not get rid of it.

View attachment 466917 View attachment 466922 View attachment 466923

Thanks!
Replace the air filters.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I just recently took delivery on my red LR Model 3. Right after I got the car, I took it in to get a full PPF, Ceramic Coat and Window Tint using all XPEL products! I love how the car looks (better than new) and the place that I went to was fabulous and did an amazingly detailed job.

My question is if anyone else has had this done using specifically the XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF and the XPEL Fusion Plus Ceramic Coat, how are you taking care of your car? I love that dirt generally slides off of the car easily, but we recently had some wildfires here in Los Angeles and I feel like there's still some char and ashes on my car. I can't easily hand wash the car where I live so I'm just wondering on what everyone else does to clean their car and not damage the PPF or Ceramic Coat.

Also what would you use to get the smell of smoke out of your car? I'm a little bummed that I didn't get to enjoy that new car smell for long! I tried air freshener but that just seems to cover up the smell but not get rid of it.

Thanks!

Jesus... how much did that cost?

I looked into doing a full ppf, but was quoted $4,600 in Philadelphia,PA area. The installer used patterns and did not wrap over all the parts. He also said, some areas, like quarter panels will be in two pieces. OCD of me couldn't take seeing seams in the middle of any body panel so i said no thanks. But, planning on doing the ceramic coat though.

I looked into doing a full ppf, but was quoted $4,600 in Philadelphia,PA area. The installer used patterns and did not wrap over all the parts. He also said, some areas, like quarter panels will be in two pieces. OCD of me couldn't take seeing seams in the middle of any body panel so i said no thanks. But, planning on doing the ceramic coat though.

Never heard of a panel being done as two pieces. That would scare me away. I do agree that not all parts will be edge wrapped as you probably don't want the panels removed to do so (introducing other issues), but many panel edges can be edge wrapped and create a nicer look free of dirt lines.

If you are at all thinking you will PPF you car, you don't want to do a ceramic coating before hand on it. They'd have to remove all the ceramic in order to get the PPF to properly adhere. The PPF is what will keep your car's paint from rock chips, the ceramic just adds great shine and makes bird droppings, bugs, general dirt, just come off with ease. Also be aware if you want to add something like HOV stickers to your car they will have to remove the ceramic from that section for the same reason as the PPF can't be applied directly on top of it.

As for the price quoted that's still less for a full wrap (with edges) than you'll find out here at an experienced quality installer in my area. The price of the film probably is fairly consistent across states but the difference will be in the labor. It can be a pricey commitment to add PPF, especially full wrap, and you need to weigh how long you'll keep the car to make it worth it for you. The full wrap should take around a week or just under timewise and is a multi-step process, so it's not just cut and stick and you will be paying based on the expertise of the installer. Unless you or someone does a job on the body in an accident, not having to have your car repainted is worth it to many.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kleenerth3

It was definitely expensive to get the full PPF, but I'm so glad I did. Just a couple of weeks ago a kid riding an electric scooter ran into my car. No major damage, but a small tear in the PPF (less than the size of a dime). I was so frustrated that I had a tiny tear in the PPF, but then I thought about it and am glad that I had the PPF otherwise I would have definitely had scratches in my paint on my brand new car! I can live with the small tear but at least the paint on my car is in tact.

Hi all,

Thanks!

What % is the tint on the front and back? Looks great!!!

@3scompany - nice! Can't wait to see pics of your car!

here you go!
XPEL PPF on full front and rocker panels
70% on the windshield, 35% everywhere else
Front.jpg Back.jpg Side.jpg Front - close.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks!
The car looks amazing. I am planning on getting a blue Model 3 in 2020. I am now going to have to seriously think about having the car treated in the same manner.

The car looks amazing. I am planning on getting a blue Model 3 in 2020. I am now going to have to seriously think about having the car treated in the same manner.

Thanks @cybertruck_fan - I posted a little earlier that while it was expensive, it's worth it in the long run for me as I plan to keep the car for a long time. I've only had my car for 2 1/2 months and a kid riding an electric scooter banged into my car. Luckily I had the PPF which did get a small tear in it, but at least my paint was protected underneath.