Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3/Y feature superiority versus X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I know this topic has been touched on in one form or another but I thought I would approach it a slightly different way.

I am a 2017 X 75D owner, considering an upgrade to a new X.

I remember when I bought the car around April, 2017, and in years since, Elon Musk has said that new features would always appear on the S and the X first.

Looking at the current feature sets available on the Tesla line up, I know of at least 2 circumstances where that is not true. That being, the slower charger versus the one on the 3/Y, and the heat pump on the Y.

Is anyone aware of any additional features that the 3 or Y have that have not yet made it over to the "Flagship" Tesla vehicles? It seems like maybe I should wait until we get at least feature parity before pulling the trigger...

Bigger and heavier car will take longer to charge. I believe the Ravens can charge at 200 max. There aren't many v3 chargers out in the wild just yet. I have a 3 and X and had a performance Y for the weekend. All have their own purpose. I personally love the drive and handling of the 3 but a 6 seat X is the most comfortable and it's larger then a Y.

Reactions: E Dizzle
I echo what @turtlesz said. So far, the theoretical faster charging and the heat pump is the only worthwhile advantage of the 3 & Y over the S & X in my opinion. I say theoretical because, it's seems to be based on a lot of factors. S & X have the same front motors as the 3 & Y now, and range is also higher I believe.

All that said, I think the S & X still have the edge of being "flagships" and with the plaid powertrain on the horizon, I'd say wait if you can.

I'm still much more confident with my AP1 model S than my wife's FSD, Navi on Auto, Model X. Based on seat of the pants experience, the AP1 is more surefooted and less jittery (IMHO). But that's a whole 'nother discussion. :)

We have a Y and an X, for the money, the Y is the better car. Money aside, the X is. I'm 6'2" so the Y feels tight to me but not to the point to where it's a problem. The X is spacious.

The only thing I wish I had from the wifeys Y is the bluetooth key.

Both are incredibly fun to drive, the X is noticeably faster and the Raven suspension is really good.

Charging isn't an issue, don't sweat it.

We have an X, and I've never seen, let alone driven, a Model Y.

My imagined benefits of the Y over the X:
  • Cheaper to buy
  • Cheaper to operate (uses less electricity)
  • Cheaper tires
  • Faster to charge
  • More nimble (smaller footprint, making it arguably better for city life)
  • Insurance should be less
  • Fewer electrical issue potential due to less complex doors and less wiring in general
  • Heat pump may be nice in cold regions
  • More frequent software updates and new feature support (the S and X seem to be an afterthought more and more often)
  • Totally awesome glass roof for the viewing pleasure of the rear seat occupants.
My imagined benefits of the X over the Y:
  • More space when needed
  • Towing capacity
  • Convenience factor of the falcon wing doors, especially with kids (no door banging and easy to install and remove seats)
  • Much nicer instrument cluster (sure the 3/Y screen is functional, but having the second screen is really nice)
  • Air suspension is nice when you need that extra bit of clearance to get over an obstacle (a necessity on my driveway, unfortunately)
  • Slightly higher range and performance if you really need/want it.
  • 6-7 fairly usable seats can be equipped
  • Rear AC (not positive the Y doesn't have this, but I haven't read about it if it does)
  • Huge panoramic windshield for the viewing pleasure of the front seat occupants.

We have an X, and I've never seen, let alone driven, a Model Y.

My imagined benefits of the Y over the X:
  • Cheaper to buy
  • Cheaper to operate (uses less electricity)
  • Cheaper tires
  • Faster to charge
  • More nimble (smaller footprint, making it arguably better for city life)
  • Insurance should be less
  • Fewer electrical issue potential due to less complex doors and less wiring in general
  • Heat pump may be nice in cold regions
  • More frequent software updates and new feature support (the S and X seem to be an afterthought more and more often)
  • Totally awesome glass roof for the viewing pleasure of the rear seat occupants.
My imagined benefits of the X over the Y:
  • More space when needed
  • Towing capacity
  • Convenience factor of the falcon wing doors, especially with kids (no door banging and easy to install and remove seats)
  • Much nicer instrument cluster (sure the 3/Y screen is functional, but having the second screen is really nice)
  • Air suspension is nice when you need that extra bit of clearance to get over an obstacle (a necessity on my driveway, unfortunately)
  • Slightly higher range and performance if you really need/want it.
  • 6-7 fairly usable seats can be equipped
  • Rear AC (not positive the Y doesn't have this, but I haven't read about it if it does)
  • Huge panoramic windshield for the viewing pleasure of the front seat occupants.

Great summary...If I had $100,000 to burn on a new car it would definitely be the X. Unfortunately, even $60,000 will be pushing my comfort zone for buying a depreciating asset.

Reactions: jet44
I think the Model 3/Y key situation is way better than the S / X keys. I really hope Tesla will transition the S and X.

Using phone as key is awesome. If you miss having an actual key fob you can buy one (I did buy some but never use them) so it's not either/or, Model 3/Y just has more options.

And for multi-car families this is even better. You just need one key (FOB, Card, or Phone) and you can drive any of your cars.

The Model 3/Y air vents are a nice improvement as well over the traditional air vents found in the S / X

Last edited:
As a driver who always like some airflow, I agree with this. My wife, however, would vehemently disagree due to the fact that the air on "her" side cannot be closed off while leaving "my" side flowing.
Ha. That’s EXACTLY my wife’s issue just about every single time she rides in my Model 3. When I transition to the X soon, I can strike that complaint off her “ride along” list (I hope). So just to confirm, those dash vents on her side can be closed off while leaving the other side open?

Reactions: SSonnentag
Ha. That’s EXACTLY my wife’s issue just about every single time she rides in my Model 3. When I transition to the X soon, I can strike that complaint off her “ride along” list (I hope). So just to confirm, those dash vents on her side can be closed off while leaving the other side open?

Yes, they close off. There is always a tiny bit of leakage, but they're as good at closing off as the best of any other car we've had.

Yes, they close off. There is always a tiny bit of leakage, but they're as good at closing off as the best of any other car we've had.
That's another unexpected bonus of buying the X! On the downside, I saw something today that I wish wasn't true and hopefully it's not as bad as I imagine: regen braking on the older Xs. I absolutely LOVED when they turned this on for my Model 3 through a software update last year. I loved the fact that I may not have to buy brake pads for 150k miles. I guess this isn't the reality with an X?

That's another unexpected bonus of buying the X! On the downside, I saw something today that I wish wasn't true and hopefully it's not as bad as I imagine: regen braking on the older Xs. I absolutely LOVED when they turned this on for my Model 3 through a software update last year. I loved the fact that I may not have to buy brake pads for 150k miles. I guess this isn't the reality with an X?

Yeah, no auto-stop with the S or X, but regen gets you down to 4 mph anyway, so brake pads will rust off before wearing out. The 3 and Y brake for you is the only difference. Same amount of brake usage from what I understand.

Reactions: KentuckyX

They should be able to give us one great software update. When using NOA, our pre-Raven X's can auto-stop at stop signs and lights. Oh do I pine for one pedal driving!

Yeah, no auto-stop with the S or X, but regen gets you down to 4 mph anyway, so brake pads will rust off before wearing out. The 3 and Y brake for you is the only difference. Same amount of brake usage from what I understand.

Ravens have the same settings and capabilities as the 3/Y.

Older S/X cannot physically implement the same function with the motor regenerating all the way to a stop - the induction motor cannot regenerate effectively at low rpms.

There’s nothing stopping Tesla from emulating the experience of Hold mode on the older cars by blending brakes like AP does or driving the induction motors backwards, but they haven’t chosen to do so yet.

Which is a pity, because driving in Hold mode really is amazingly convenient and intuitive.

Ravens have the same settings and capabilities as the 3/Y.

Older S/X cannot physically implement the same function with the motor regenerating all the way to a stop - the induction motor cannot regenerate effectively at low rpms.

There’s nothing stopping Tesla from emulating the experience of Hold mode on the older cars by blending brakes like AP does or driving the induction motors backwards, but they haven’t chosen to do so yet.

Which is a pity, because driving in Hold mode really is amazingly convenient and intuitive.
Agreed. It’s the biggest thing, I think, for me to get used to when I go from a 3 to an X soon.

Decision just got a little bit harder with the new price of the Model X just dropping $5,000 to $79,990.

Model X has excellent two (actually 4) zone temperature control. Passengers can easily adjust their own vents to their preference. Back seats have their own adjustable vents as well, both on the center console and their B pillars.

While the Y is more efficient and charges miles quicker, the X has a much larger battery for even longer range and more power.

Newer Model X has the same hill holding/one pedal driving, full stop capability as the newer Model 3/Y.

One of the greatest differentiators is the remarkable new adaptive suspension/adjustable air ride standard on the S/X. Can easily lower them to look better and increase mileage, or raise them up for mild off-roading or deep snow. Gives much better high speed stability, especially on sweeping curves. Gives a smoother ride when cruising and firmer control when cornering at speed. Magic...

The debate will still go on choosing X or Y. Kind of a Blue pill/Red pill debate. The answer is deciding which is the better choice "for you"

There is no superiority between the two, only problem is that most owners cannot buy both, so an informed choice needs to be made.

Last edited: