Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3/Y feature superiority versus X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned a Model 3 for about a year, owned an S for two years before that (traded for the 3), and we recently added a new Model X to the mix (about two weeks old).

Comparing interior quality, the X is substantially nicer, much roomier, and definitely a better family vehicle. I do like the two screens more than 1, though it’s easy to adapt. Also the MX is quieter inside, though not still not silent.

Things from the M3 I miss: Bluetooth phone key & drink holder / console design for both front and rear seats. The M3 is certainly more fun to drive, but my wife and daughter don’t share my joy in gut-punching acceleration from every intersection.

But the MX is, to me, definitely a better vehicle on the whole. And for the investment, it should be.

tech changes like the battery and pump can always be implemented later on with the X, as they have started with the latest battery and motor tech. it's just a matter of time before the X catches up with those upgrades, and when it does, it'll come down to personal preferences and which features you prioritize between the two, AKA which design you like better.

i went from a 2018 M3P- to a 2016 MXP90DL+ which i think is a jump in design features (although older tech). here is my break down on why i made the switch

X is better:
- "phone as key" on 3/Y is only good if it works. sadly this was hit or miss for me (and many others), whereas the fob works 100% of the time
- better storage cubby cover than the flappy center console storage on 3, which was picky about closing plus you needed to fold down in a certain order
- falcon wing doors
- christmas light show
- automated close/open ALL doors. easy operation from fob or center screen. not confusing or ambiguous door popper button
- screen behind steering wheel gives more instant and direct details
- more steering wheel buttons for quick and easy adjustments
- steering wheel column more traditional for easier adaptation
- manual adjustable A/C vents for quick adjustments
- adjustable suspension
- adaptive headlights
- unlimited supercharging (although i did have this on my 3)
- dual charger upgrade for 72A home charging
- ventilated seats for heating AND cooling
- bio weapon defense mode

3/Y is better:
- front cupholders better at the bottom than on armrest, allows storage inside armrest
- quieter, no warm up for performance (i hate waiting for the X to heat up for Ludicrous+ mode, plus it's loud; battery fan?)
- back seat fold down controls in trunk
- more options in folding down the back seat
- roof rack capable
- simplified dash makes cleaning easier

faster supercharging for newer tech relies on everything being in tip top shape. i can't remember the last SC that charged at the rated speed (i most always have to do the charger shuffle to get an acceptable rate). the better heat pump is awesome if you're in an area that could benefit from it. more efficient motor and battery improves all the time but I have unlimited supercharging so NBD, i just have to charge more often. phantom drain is my biggest complaint for all their vehicles.

Reactions: E Dizzle
I had a model 3 in 2018, but the ride was bumpy as i felt the 40PSI tire pressure gave higher range but made the car little more bumpy and noisy. Sold off the M3 and purchased the MX last year- more comfortable ride, lesser noise but still not good enough for a 100K + car, but it is the best EV money can buy today. MX is quite a big car compared to M3. My MY is on order so cannot comment on the comparison between X and Y yet.

Reactions: E Dizzle
I had a model 3 in 2018, but the ride was bumpy as i felt the 40PSI tire pressure gave higher range but made the car little more bumpy and noisy. Sold off the M3 and purchased the MX last year- more comfortable ride, lesser noise but still not good enough for a 100K + car, but it is the best EV money can buy today. MX is quite a big car compared to M3. My MY is on order so cannot comment on the comparison between X and Y yet.

Trading the X for the Y or keeping both?

Other than money, range and maybe fun factor, I can’t pick my 3 over my X. After driving the x, I have a tough time opening my own door. The single dash on the 3 sucks, ride is so so and it is quite noisy on the highway. It is also a bit cramp when we go out as a family. Make sure you get opinions from people that have owned both cars. I thought the 3 was perfect until I realize I bought one and realize how much better the x is!

Other than money, range and maybe fun factor, I can’t pick my 3 over my X. After driving the x, I have a tough time opening my own door. The single dash on the 3 sucks, ride is so so and it is quite noisy on the highway. It is also a bit cramp when we go out as a family. Make sure you get opinions from people that have owned both cars. I thought the 3 was perfect until I realize I bought one and realize how much better the x is!

i find these comparative posts helpful, including yours. However, shouldn’t it be obvious that a car that costs twice as much be a lot “better” overall?

I would love an X for my family but can’t get myself to spend that much. We will probably get a loaded highlander or something similar for the family car and possibly a Model Y for me.

i find these comparative posts helpful, including yours. However, shouldn’t it be obvious that a car that costs twice as much be a lot “better” overall?

You’d think so, but no - there are a lot of examples of cars that cost a lot more and are much better at one specific thing but are generally worse cars all around. Those cars aren’t sold to the mass market, obviously.

As someone who is freshly transplanted from a 3 to an X, I have to agree 100%. The 3 was my dream car...until I bought and drove the X. The smooth, quiet ride the X has, is exactly what the 3 lacked in making it the perfect car, imo.

tech changes like the battery and pump can always be implemented later on with the X, as they have started with the latest battery and motor tech. it's just a matter of time before the X catches up with those upgrades, and when it does, it'll come down to personal preferences and which features you prioritize between the two, AKA which design you like better.

i went from a 2018 M3P- to a 2016 MXP90DL+ which i think is a jump in design features (although older tech). here is my break down on why i made the switch

X is better:
- "phone as key" on 3/Y is only good if it works. sadly this was hit or miss for me (and many others), whereas the fob works 100% of the time
- better storage cubby cover than the flappy center console storage on 3, which was picky about closing plus you needed to fold down in a certain order
- falcon wing doors
- christmas light show
- automated close/open ALL doors. easy operation from fob or center screen. not confusing or ambiguous door popper button
- screen behind steering wheel gives more instant and direct details
- more steering wheel buttons for quick and easy adjustments
- steering wheel column more traditional for easier adaptation
- manual adjustable A/C vents for quick adjustments
- adjustable suspension
- adaptive headlights
- unlimited supercharging (although i did have this on my 3)
- dual charger upgrade for 72A home charging
- ventilated seats for heating AND cooling
- bio weapon defense mode

3/Y is better:
- front cupholders better at the bottom than on armrest, allows storage inside armrest
- quieter, no warm up for performance (i hate waiting for the X to heat up for Ludicrous+ mode, plus it's loud; battery fan?)
- back seat fold down controls in trunk
- more options in folding down the back seat
- roof rack capable
- simplified dash makes cleaning easier

faster supercharging for newer tech relies on everything being in tip top shape. i can't remember the last SC that charged at the rated speed (i most always have to do the charger shuffle to get an acceptable rate). the better heat pump is awesome if you're in an area that could benefit from it. more efficient motor and battery improves all the time but I have unlimited supercharging so NBD, i just have to charge more often. phantom drain is my biggest complaint for all their vehicles.

The X is a great car and I have loved driving it the last 2.5 years. However, Tesla has clearly not spent significant time updating the X due to Model 3 and Y production. If you need a usable third row, then absolutely get the X, but the Y is a great option for the money. When the X gets a new battery pack and interior update, then it will be the better option.

Addressing some of your items:
-FWD have their advantages, but there are negatives. Largely the attention they draw.
-Automated doors is a feature I turned off, as the door will open when I don't want it to.
-Phone as key - buy the fob
-Dual charger - not available on current MX cars.
-Xmas show - Not a functional feature. I did this when I first got the car a few times. Haven't done it since.
-Headlights - The headlights on the 3 (presume Y) are supposed to be far superior than the S and X. See ratings by NHSTA and IIHS.

Here is my list for Model Y - Updated battery pack design (2170), more efficient 121 MPGe vs. 90 MPGe (20" Perfs), 250kw Supercharging, heat pump (this is big for northern states/colder climates), Model Y has more leg room in front and rear than MX, updated interior/landscape screen format.

Reactions: Bigriver
The X is a great car and I have loved driving it the last 2.5 years. However, Tesla has clearly not spent significant time updating the X due to Model 3 and Y production. If you need a usable third row, then absolutely get the X, but the Y is a great option for the money. When the X gets a new battery pack and interior update, then it will be the better option.

Addressing some of your items:
-FWD have their advantages, but there are negatives. Largely the attention they draw.
-Automated doors is a feature I turned off, as the door will open when I don't want it to.
-Phone as key - buy the fob
-Dual charger - not available on current MX cars.
-Xmas show - Not a functional feature. I did this when I first got the car a few times. Haven't done it since.
-Headlights - The headlights on the 3 (presume Y) are supposed to be far superior than the S and X. See ratings by NHSTA and IIHS.

Here is my list for Model Y - Updated battery pack design (2170), more efficient 121 MPGe vs. 90 MPGe (20" Perfs), 250kw Supercharging, heat pump (this is big for northern states/colder climates), Model Y has more leg room in front and rear than MX, updated interior/landscape screen format.

right, don't get me wrong, if we didn't already have 2 X's, a Y would be the perfect mashup of a 3 and X. FWD is going to be an expensive expense after warranty runs out. and the interior cabin space is rated larger because the lack of ceiling padding in the X.

What does everyone think about Green’s tweet that the AP board on the Model Y has removed all S/X legacy compatibility to connect with the infotainment system.

As a new MX owner, I’m wondering whether the Model Y has AP features that are not yet present and won’t be available on S/X (without a Plaid upgrade?). Or is the S/X about to see an upgrade with a HUD or some other feature?

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Link to tweet: https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1252773421236322305?s=21

“Further inspection of autopilot board shows that every single bit of model S/X compatibility is completely gone.

This could only mean one thing, I suspect.

basically we are probably looking at new model S/X unit or something really-really close to it.”

right, don't get me wrong, if we didn't already have 2 X's, a Y would be the perfect mashup of a 3 and X. FWD is going to be an expensive expense after warranty runs out. and the interior cabin space is rated larger because the lack of ceiling padding in the X.

Interior space quoted was leg room, which honestly surprised me. The X is such a long car relative to the Y. How can the Y have more leg room than the X in the front and back (numbers were found from owners manuals)? Crazy.

What does everyone think about Green’s tweet that the AP board on the Model Y has removed all S/X legacy compatibility to connect with the infotainment system.

As a new MX owner, I’m wondering whether the Model Y has AP features that are not yet present and won’t be available on S/X (without a Plaid upgrade?). Or is the S/X about to see an upgrade with a HUD or some other feature?

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Link to tweet: https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1252773421236322305?s=21

“Further inspection of autopilot board shows that every single bit of model S/X compatibility is completely gone.

This could only mean one thing, I suspect.

basically we are probably looking at new model S/X unit or something really-really close to it.”
Or they just have large enough quantities to make dedicated boards for the different lines. 1 board for S/X and 1 board for 3/Y. Same processors and such, just different breadboards. Probably will save them money vs having unused connectors.

I'm looking to move our S to an X but I'm waiting to see what comes out w/ the next version. Hoping they bump the LR version's range when they come out w/ Plaid. I want a Performance X but can't take the range hit - our current non-Raven S100D is right at the limit wheree I want to be range-wise. A drive we do a few times a year can be done in January w/ only ~20 miles the spare. Don't have much wiggle room there.

Decision just got a little bit harder with the new price of the Model X just dropping $5,000 to $79,990.

Model X has excellent two (actually 4) zone temperature control. Passengers can easily adjust their own vents to their preference. Back seats have their own adjustable vents as well, both on the center console and their B pillars.

While the Y is more efficient and charges miles quicker, the X has a much larger battery for even longer range and more power.

Newer Model X has the same hill holding/one pedal driving, full stop capability as the newer Model 3/Y.

One of the greatest differentiators is the remarkable new adaptive suspension/adjustable air ride standard on the S/X. Can easily lower them to look better and increase mileage, or raise them up for mild off-roading or deep snow. Gives much better high speed stability, especially on sweeping curves. Gives a smoother ride when cruising and firmer control when cornering at speed. Magic...

The debate will still go on choosing X or Y. Kind of a Blue pill/Red pill debate. The answer is deciding which is the better choice "for you"

There is no superiority between the two, only problem is that most owners cannot buy both, so an informed choice needs to be made.
Agree that the price change makes it more difficult. In 11 months my lease expires on the X. Hopefully by then the X will have the same or newer battery chemistry and heat pump. I prefer the adaptive suspension over our 2020 Model 3's ride. And even though we almost never carry one in the back, the falcon wing doors are just cool and a crowd-pleaser.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts and replies to this thread. I ended up trading my 2017 X 75D for a demo 2020 X Long Range Plus 6 seater with FSD. It had 300 miles on it so Tesla adjusted it down $3,300. That, with the $5,000.00 price reduction and still getting free supercharging since it was an inventory car, seemed to make sense and work out. So far, I love the new car! Little things here and there that are definitely better. And I can definitely notice the Raven suspension, even with the black 22s the ride quality and handling is really something special.