Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3/Y feature superiority versus X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you got the 6 seat, your 60lb Coonhound will enjoy the floor space between the 2 middle row seats. Our 110lb GSD puppy does. He's nestled pretty snug in there.

Fun story, and something that shows Tesla is learning things:

I had to get my 3's roof glass repaired after it caught a rock. The piece they had in stock was defective, so I got a loaner to keep overnight. A P90DL X with the 6 seat configuration. We all piled in and went for a ride, and the big dog immediately laid in that exact spot.

Long story short, that's why I'm trading in the 3. Tesla pulled a traditional automaker trick and gave me a "flagship" loaner to upsell me.

:D

Fun story, and something that shows Tesla is learning things:

I had to get my 3's roof glass repaired after it caught a rock. The piece they had in stock was defective, so I got a loaner to keep overnight. A P90DL X with the 6 seat configuration. We all piled in and went for a ride, and the big dog immediately laid in that exact spot.

Long story short, that's why I'm trading in the 3. Tesla pulled a traditional automaker trick and gave me a "flagship" loaner to upsell me.

:D

Yup... that's how I pulled the trigger on my new car... "take it home for the night"... always the kiss of death ;)

That's an awesome story @ModelNforNerd! Especially the part about your dog picking that same spot. Congrats on your X.

I always said that these things should come with a disclaimer that "test driving this Tesla will, more often than not, lead to a purchase"

June of 2016, we were walking through a mall to get our food court order and passed by a Tesla store. They had weekend test drive events that they offered to me and my wife. So we took home a Model S70 for the weekend. 2 weeks later, I processed the order for my MS 60D with the newer bumper. Took 2 months to get a car back then.

June of 2019, casually walking through same mall when we were told at the Tesla store that they're offering significant discounts and FUSC on exisiting inventory. 10 days later, we bought our Model X.

So June and that particular mall are dangerous for us. It's a good thing malls are closed right now. LOL

wait i just re-read. 110lbs puppy :eek: that's a big boy.

the 6 seater sucks in carrying stuff or for moving, but it sure is dog friendly. My dog just goes between the alley and the backseat whenever she wants.

@mattack4000 - he IS a big boy. He's about 1 year and 7 months old of pure GSD meatbag. LOL

E89A231D-0BF9-4143-BB20-720767741C3D.jpeg

D5CAAF22-3280-447F-A2BF-F872EF6D400C.jpeg

Appreciate everyone's thoughts and replies to this thread. I ended up trading my 2017 X 75D for a demo 2020 X Long Range Plus 6 seater with FSD. It had 300 miles on it so Tesla adjusted it down $3,300. That, with the $5,000.00 price reduction and still getting free supercharging since it was an inventory car, seemed to make sense and work out. So far, I love the new car! Little things here and there that are definitely better. And I can definitely notice the Raven suspension, even with the black 22s the ride quality and handling is really something special.

great choice! Just curious how much did you pay for it? Thx

I have a Stealth Performance 3 that I am trading in on Monday, for a Raven Performance X.

If it was just me and the wife, I'd stick with the 3.

But it's us, a 60lb Coonhound, a 30lb Beagle, and now...a 7 month old baby...and all the stuff that needs to be hauled around on road trips.

The 3 was tolerable on any drive under 2 hours with everyone in the car. But anything that required more than a diaper bag, and it started to feel cramped.
Tesla has no fix for the shudder problem in Raven X's. If yours develops this problem, they'll just say 'too bad for you'. I don't know why people buy X's. (Tesla does fix the shudder problem in pre-Raven X's.)

The S is less risky and also roomy but maybe not roomy enough for you. If you had less need for space, I'd also suggest a Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: InternetDude
Curious to compare them side by side.
We ordered an X this week to replace our deer-hit-and-repaired-but-never-really-right Enclave.

It’ll be “her” car, sitting in the driveway next to “his” (my) Model 3.

So we’ll have best of both worlds and no gasoline. Lovely all the way around!

(and yes - snagged the exact config I wanted out of inventory; so we got the price drop and FUSC. Sweet!)

Tesla has no fix for the shudder problem in Raven X's. If yours develops this problem, they'll just say 'too bad for you'. I don't know why people buy X's. (Tesla does fix the shudder problem in pre-Raven X's.)

The S is less risky and also roomy but maybe not roomy enough for you. If you had less need for space, I'd also suggest a Y.

Because the shudder problem (at least on Pre-Ravens) was not a huge deal and only occurred when accelerating hard when in low suspension. I drove for +15k miles with the shudder issue before getting it fixed. It did not ruin my experience.

Just over a week with the Y.
Compared to our X, it feels "sportier" and more nimble. But definitely a rougher ride compared to the X. Not bad, just different. X suspension is smoother (as it should be with adaptive air).
Also, the screen in the Y seems to small compared with the X. You can see the camera and NAV at the same time as in the X.