Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 & Y New Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came across this on youtube which seems to be a more mature offering with better functionality than the original hansshow and follow up displays. Personally don't care about airflow issues but am concerned about possible future problems after Tesla updates. That concern has been voiced before and I'm not sure if that's really ever been an issue with the older offerings. Appreciate any thoughts on this appreciated.. thx...P.S. the video gives a link selling this display for $799 although it lists a 25% discount. The ebay link seems to be the same one for significantly less.

looks like this one is the brand YunHang t5, which is the most popular one in China, much better than hansshow (from another Chinese manufacturer). you may send a message to seller to confirm if it is yunhang t5, also it has two versions, one for intel, the other for amd. the price is about right.

Reactions: hcdavis3
It's probably just me, but I wouldn't put it in my MY even if it's free. Sure it's better looking than all its competitors, but if it serves no value than how much it costs is irrelevant. Does anyone know if such a mod would affect the Tesla warranty? I vaguely remember reading something about any internal modification (electrical, mechanical, etc) not done by the service centers would invalidate the warranty. I've been wanting to install the auto-frunk kit and the trunk kick sensor. Those are actually useful.

It's probably just me, but I wouldn't put it in my MY even if it's free. Sure it's better looking than all its competitors, but if it serves no value than how much it costs is irrelevant. Does anyone know if such a mod would affect the Tesla warranty? I vaguely remember reading something about any internal modification (electrical, mechanical, etc) not done by the service centers would invalidate the warranty. I've been wanting to install the auto-frunk kit and the trunk kick sensor. Those are actually useful.
the auto frunk is useful, I like it too. but it directly connects to 12V battery, no good IMO. The display is plug and play, but not sure if void warranty, I may have to remove it before visit dealer for warranty service, lol.
Since I own e-golf, I never visit dealer for any warranty service, it never fails. hope Y is same.

• Funny
Reactions: aspushkin
My Hansshow has worked fine for almost a year. I haven’t seen any issues with Tesla updates.

I like the screen for two reasons: I like looking straight ahead and found looking to the right at the Tesla screen to check speed and state of charge was dangerous, and the one time my Tesla screen went blank, the Hansshow continued to show my speed. I’m happy that I purchased the Hansshow even though installation was difficult.

I’ve had no issues with either air conditioning or heating. The air seems to flow around the display. And the Hansshow looks like it came with the car, you can’t tell it’s an add on.

Reactions: lagjazz
The visualization dashboard is not my favorite (feels a little tacky and very counter to the minimalistic/futuristic design ethos of Tesla) but I'd probably lean towards getting this simply for Carplay/Android auto support. Just wish it was easier to try it out without all the legwork needed to get it setup.

Or, here me out, maybe people could buy whatever car they like and modify it as they see fit if it suits their desiderata. No one's breaking into anyone's garage to forcibly install this mod in their cars...
Absolutely, I whole-hearted agree that everyone can do whatever the heck they want to their cars. That's not what I am trying to say. I am actually expressing a concern because this was in another thread. Folks should, at least, know what they're getting into by doing the needed due-diligence.

Ok, so, here's a somewhat of a technical reason why this is a bad idea.

You can call this an occupational hazard because I've worked in data and data security for almost 20 years. Also, I work with software engineers all day long and I can tell you, most of the time spent in an engineer's day is to fix bugs!! Let me say that again, to fix bugs. This should be apparent even with Tesla and their frequent OTAs.

Most folks think, this display that taps/interface into the original network of modules in the vehicle, is simply another harmless device. On the surface, yes. But this is a device with software that's been developed by a group of engineers who do not work in concert with Tesla. Which means, every time Tesla releases another OTA update, they have to scramble to run a sanity check on their existing code to make sure the OTA does not break any functions in the device. Should it break any of the functions, they now have to fix the bug(s) in haste and send each owner of the device a notice to download an update to be installed on the device. That code, has NO guarantees of any kind. And in the future, should Tesla decide to "lock" the APIs from the modules that the device is using, the screen simply becomes a $800 paper weight. Good luck getting support from the vendor when that happens.

Here's the really scary thought though. We are reasonably sure that Tesla has very secure firewalls and safeguards in the network/control modules so that they are "safe" from hacks. And we know that Apple and Google are doing all they can to secure their respective OSs on our phones. However, how secure do you think the software on the displays is? With its wifi and bluetooth wide open to connect to your phone, who is to say the MAC address on the device is not in some hacker's database to be messed with? Without any documentation related on the code itself, how would you know what data it's collecting and where it goes?

We are already sharing way more about our selves than we should on the open Internet. Are you sure you want a blackbox of whatever it is sitting on your dashboard just because it's showing your speed with needle gauges and can interface with Apple Carplay? As I've said before, you are free to do whatever you want. All I am saying is, ummmmm.... that's a HARD NO for me! 😁

Last edited:
Thanks for the (brutally honest) opinions. My main concern has always been with these displays is if they will always play nice with Tesla updates. Tesla seems to go out of their way, like many tech companies, to be as proprietary as possible. The post above makes good points BUT, there are many of these various displays installed for over a year. Can anyone point to specific issues that have occurred? thx

Not this again... 🥴 If you"must" have a dashboard, Model Y or 3 should not have been on your shopping list to begin with.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

After a month of driving my Y I found looking to the right to check my speed and state of charge distracting so I bought the add on display so I could keep my eyes on the road. For this purpose, the Hansshow display works fine. On the main display I kept the odometer (which now in the v11 user interface takes up the entire right side of the screen). Since the guess-o-meter is inaccurate where I live, I use the odometer plus the state of charge to calculate my range.

Reactions: Blastphemy
My Hansshow has worked fine for almost a year. I haven’t seen any issues with Tesla updates.

I like the screen for two reasons: I like looking straight ahead and found looking to the right at the Tesla screen to check speed and state of charge was dangerous, and the one time my Tesla screen went blank, the Hansshow continued to show my speed. I’m happy that I purchased the Hansshow even though installation was difficult.

I’ve had no issues with either air conditioning or heating. The air seems to flow around the display. And the Hansshow looks like it came with the car, you can’t tell it’s an add on.
Thx for posting your experience. Curious, was the main screen going blank just a glitch fixed by a reboot or did it need a service center visit?