Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3/Y/S buyer on the fence. Worried about missing features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most likely considering a Model Y due to the space, but have considered the 3 / S for their range and quality. I've read Tesla has really figured out how to build the Model S, and that not only does its fit & finish standout, but its quality stands out compared to the 3 / Y as well.And of course, I like the 3's price point and range. But....I have hesitations....

• What should a cold weather buyer know about buying a Tesla? Does this video capture accurately capture the experience?
  • Build quality part 1 - fit & finish. What is the trick to getting a well built, painted and assembled Tesla?
  • Build quality part 2 - paint (part a). I read that Tesla is giving out mudflaps/splash guards to Model Y customers in cold climates for free; the article I read cited that the lower side of the Model Y's exterior is prone to paint chipping, especially in vehicles delivered to cold weather customers. Supposedly they said this is due to ice + road salt. Is this for all vehicles or just the Model Y? Is this exaggerated? If not, how bad does it get? Are we talking risk of having to re-paint the entire side of the car and blending with the quarte rpanels?
  • Build quality part 2 - paint (part b). What paint defects are people still seeing in their 2021 vehicles? Do the cars literally roll off the delivery truck with significant scratches/swirl marks/paint chipping/etc?
  • Build quality part 2 - paint (part c). Is there any warranty / guarantee on the Tesla paint job? Like if I get a Model Y, and I buy (or get for free) splash guards, and experience significant flaking/chipping away of paint within the first year, does Tesla warranty this?
  • Build quality part 3. What kind of panel gaps and body fitment issues should someone look for when receiving a Model Y? Are they just cosmetic, or are there more tangible downsides/issues that come from different body panel fitment & alignment issues?
  • Is the Model Y getting a 2021 update? Has anything been rumored? Do they refresh vehicles during a certain time of the year?
  • When accepting delivery of a Model Y, what tests would you do on your Model Y to ensure it is a "good one"?
  • Would you buy a new Model S because of quality, fit & finish? Basically is the price premium for the S worth it, because you know you are getting a properly assembled vehicle with better interior + the longest range of any vehicle in their lineup?
  • What interior blemishes do you check for?
  • How do you know if your AC unit is going to leak excess condensation water on the interior of the car? i read this was a thing, and despite this design flaw.....here I am still thinking about a Tesla...
Breaking up the questions in to sections. Next section - features. First want to start with a rant and say I love/hate Tesla's website. It is beautiful, and also incredibly uninformative. I can't find answers. I know other car sites are overwhelming with the walls of text - page after page of standard features, but it just seems like Tesla hides a lot of info that someone like me wants to know. They show you what they want to show you, and hide everything else. I would check out a Tesla dealer in person, but.......well yeah the nearest Tesla service center / "dealer" (?) is like 2.5-3 hours away. More on that later...

• HomeLink - I read a few posts about this. It sounds like it was standard OEM feature, but then it became optional, and the cost isn't displayed on the Model Y configurator? So is HomeLink a standard feature? Is it OEM / in the infotainment, or is there a button installed in the cabin interior somewhere?
  • Heated steering wheel - is this a standard or optional feature? Is this controlled through infotainment UI, or are there shortcuts / physical buttons somewhere?
  • Non-Autopilot driver assistance. If I don't spend $10,000 on a software feature....does the Tesla still have backup camera, blind spot warning/detection, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, auto-brake crash avoidance?
  • Electric adjustable seats - is this standard? Is this controlled through infotainment UI, or are there shortcuts/physical buttons placed anywhere?
  • Heated / Cooled front seats - is this standard? Is it controlled through infotainment UI, or are there shortcuts?
  • In a ICE, the hot air doesn't start blowing out of the HVAC vents until the engine warms up; if you don't pre-heat (condition?) your vehicle, does hot air still start blowing out of the vents right away? Is there a warm-up period? What is the HVAC system like? Are there shortcuts to adjust the HVAC without having to navigate thru the infotainment UI?
  • Android Auto / Apple CarPlay - I know for a fact this isn't a feature on any Tesla, but I am curious; does Tesla show any signs of caving on this? Are they kind of like where Toyota was in 2016 with Android Auto/CarPlay? Is there a way to install a aftermarket headunit in the car and get Android Auto / Apple CarPlay? I get a chuckle out of this; they got a fart app on the car, but no Android Auto / CarPlay? I've heard the navigation system is pretty lackluster in the infotainment, and over the years I have just grown dependent on rentals / my cars having support for these (and using them over OEM infotainment)
  • Google Maps - is there native Google Maps navigation support?
  • Wyze - is there native Wyze navigation support?
  • Apple Podcasts / Google Podcasts - is there native support in the infotainment, or is this all through bluetooth?
  • What is the most annoying aspects of having most functionality managed through the software infotainment UI? Is the multitouch support rock solid? Is there lag? Is it like calling Comcast and having to navigate through a phone free, with things buried deep? Do you ever feel it is distracting to not able to rely on physical buttons, or do the steering wheel controls offer UI navigation?

Lastly service centers/dealers......
  • Whats the deal? Is Tesla ever going to build out their dealer/service network (maybe not identical to a traditional vehicle manufacturer)?
  • Has the vehicle service & support matured? Are repairs a multi-week/month process? Are replacement parts in short supply or delayed, lengthening repair times?
  • What is the service experience like for someone that has only surface street parking on roads with 25mph+ traffic, and has a dealer 3 hours away? Will Tesla come pickup the vehicle, drop off a loaner, and provide me with that convenience? Does Tesla require me to drive 6 hours to drop off my car, and 6 hours to pickup my car? Are loaners guaranteed?
  • Are there any authorized 3rd party service centers yet?
  • Are parts still impossible to get? Is there any right to repair with Tesla? Lets say my dog cracks or breaks a interior plastic trim piece, can I get the part, or is this going to be a biggggg ordeal that requires moving mountains or buying it from a parted out salvaged car?
They got the early adopter customer, they got the bleeding edge tech customer. The remaining potential customers are people like me.
  • In response to competition, are the model refreshes, new trim levels, and price reductions just a hint at what it to come with Tesla? How is Tesla going to respond to Rivian, Volkswagon, Ford, and the onslaught of models hiting the market in 2021?
  • Is now a good time to buy a Tesla? Basically...will competition prove beneficial to me in that I will be able to get a Tesla at a better price, with more features, have more service centers, better build quality, etc? The last 6 months it seems Tesla has made a number of....accomodations / changes to their offerings. Most everything seems to be beneficial for the consumer, and I get the feeling that Tesla is trying to broaden the potential customer base for their vehicles. I am even wondering if Tesla will start running promotions like 'December to Remember' and 'Toyotathon'. Special financing, or combo packages to entice customers.......especially as they have exhausted their $7,500 federal tax credit. Would anyone else hold off just a few more months to see what happens?

Rant / Musings below:
When the build quality is what it is, and the service centers/dealers so far and few; it adds up to the be biggest obstacle for me to make the purchase. Visiting a local dealer for a ICE vehicle is already enough of a pain in the butt, even if they come pick-up the vehicle and drop it off. So having to consider buying a vehicle from a manufacturer that barely exists in my entire state, and only exists in the densest / wealthiest zip codes in the state is just a tough pill to swallow. I literally live in "the automobile state", and its surprising to think that Tesla doesn't manufacture any vehicles here, or have what I would describe as a serious service presence across the majority of America. When each service visit could require a 1 day commitment - at best, or a 2 day commitment if I need to drop-off and pickup (3 hours there, 3 hours back......), this whole topic starts to become larger than the significance of the fact that I am buying the coolest EV around. I want one really bad, but I also don't live in Palo Alto.

At times I feel the Tesla brand just isn't for a "normal middle America person" like me, and is really designed more to be a Cali-Car. I would really love if Tesla could just make a big push to have a presence in 2nd tier cities across the USA, and eventually 3rd tier cities. There are MSA's/population centers with 350k, 750k, even more than a million citizens - that are still several hours from their local Tesla dealer/service center. Then the anxiety over the fact that a single service center The traditional dealership model has its flaws, but there is something to be said for the accessibility of service, and even just the feeling of knowing that companies is invested in your city (employing people, paying property taxes, sponsoring little league teams, whatever). I think this could offer a lot - to get people like me off the fence, and in to a Tesla. Or maybe they won't, and Volkswagon and Ford will be the brands that let people touch, feel, and experience an electric vehicle in a way that Tesla reserves for Palo Alto, Austin and Portland. Currently there is one Tesla service center, and one dealer in my state. This one service center supports a state with 10 million residents, spread across more than 96000 square miles. I would be curious to know how many Teslas are registered in my state, because I could at least have context / perspective on how many vehicles this service center is supporting, although I admit, it might discourage me to hear the number of vehicles the sole service center is tasked with supporting. It is a $60 or $80k vehicle, it is a big purchase. I come with expectations that it should, by most measures, be nicer than a entry-level luxury car like a BMW 3 series or Mercedes C series.

The reason that buying a Model S is on the table, is because Tesla's don't appear to depreciate much in value (historically, that is....). So even if I spend $80k on a vehicle, there looks to be buyers willing to pay nearly full retail MSRP price for used models with 20-30000 miles on them. If buying the Model S is just the easiest way to get the Tesla everyone deserves to drive, then it might be the best choice for me. So in a weird way, the Model S helps ease my concern about vehicle service....

Despite all these concerns, I have an immense amount of respect for Tesla. They are a disruptor. They are innovative. They are a international mega-brand that commands attention around the world. They built out their own (proprietary) "gas station network" with the supercharger network. And because of this, I still am willing to make the trek to a not-local dealer, and pay $80,000 for a car, sight unseen. If I buy it, and I don't like it, I can just sell it.

I'm also looking at buying my first Tesla and have the very same questions (though I'm less worried about the lack of dealerships/SCs in my area). Thanks for putting that list together!

Most likely considering a Model Y due to the space, but have considered the 3 / S for their range and quality. I've read Tesla has really figured out how to build the Model S, and that not only does its fit & finish standout, but its quality stands out compared to the 3 / Y as well.And of course, I like the 3's price point and range. But....I have hesitations....

• What should a cold weather buyer know about buying a Tesla? Does this video capture accurately capture the experience?
  • Build quality part 1 - fit & finish. What is the trick to getting a well built, painted and assembled Tesla?
  • Build quality part 2 - paint (part a). I read that Tesla is giving out mudflaps/splash guards to Model Y customers in cold climates for free; the article I read cited that the lower side of the Model Y's exterior is prone to paint chipping, especially in vehicles delivered to cold weather customers. Supposedly they said this is due to ice + road salt. Is this for all vehicles or just the Model Y? Is this exaggerated? If not, how bad does it get? Are we talking risk of having to re-paint the entire side of the car and blending with the quarte rpanels?
  • Build quality part 2 - paint (part b). What paint defects are people still seeing in their 2021 vehicles? Do the cars literally roll off the delivery truck with significant scratches/swirl marks/paint chipping/etc?
  • Build quality part 2 - paint (part c). Is there any warranty / guarantee on the Tesla paint job? Like if I get a Model Y, and I buy (or get for free) splash guards, and experience significant flaking/chipping away of paint within the first year, does Tesla warranty this?
  • Build quality part 3. What kind of panel gaps and body fitment issues should someone look for when receiving a Model Y? Are they just cosmetic, or are there more tangible downsides/issues that come from different body panel fitment & alignment issues?
  • Is the Model Y getting a 2021 update? Has anything been rumored? Do they refresh vehicles during a certain time of the year?
  • When accepting delivery of a Model Y, what tests would you do on your Model Y to ensure it is a "good one"?
  • Would you buy a new Model S because of quality, fit & finish? Basically is the price premium for the S worth it, because you know you are getting a properly assembled vehicle with better interior + the longest range of any vehicle in their lineup?
  • What interior blemishes do you check for?
  • How do you know if your AC unit is going to leak excess condensation water on the interior of the car? i read this was a thing, and despite this design flaw.....here I am still thinking about a Tesla...
Breaking up the questions in to sections. Next section - features. First want to start with a rant and say I love/hate Tesla's website. It is beautiful, and also incredibly uninformative. I can't find answers. I know other car sites are overwhelming with the walls of text - page after page of standard features, but it just seems like Tesla hides a lot of info that someone like me wants to know. They show you what they want to show you, and hide everything else. I would check out a Tesla dealer in person, but.......well yeah the nearest Tesla service center / "dealer" (?) is like 2.5-3 hours away. More on that later...

• HomeLink - I read a few posts about this. It sounds like it was standard OEM feature, but then it became optional, and the cost isn't displayed on the Model Y configurator? So is HomeLink a standard feature? Is it OEM / in the infotainment, or is there a button installed in the cabin interior somewhere?
  • Heated steering wheel - is this a standard or optional feature? Is this controlled through infotainment UI, or are there shortcuts / physical buttons somewhere?
  • Non-Autopilot driver assistance. If I don't spend $10,000 on a software feature....does the Tesla still have backup camera, blind spot warning/detection, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, auto-brake crash avoidance?
  • Electric adjustable seats - is this standard? Is this controlled through infotainment UI, or are there shortcuts/physical buttons placed anywhere?
  • Heated / Cooled front seats - is this standard? Is it controlled through infotainment UI, or are there shortcuts?
  • In a ICE, the hot air doesn't start blowing out of the HVAC vents until the engine warms up; if you don't pre-heat (condition?) your vehicle, does hot air still start blowing out of the vents right away? Is there a warm-up period? What is the HVAC system like? Are there shortcuts to adjust the HVAC without having to navigate thru the infotainment UI?
  • Android Auto / Apple CarPlay - I know for a fact this isn't a feature on any Tesla, but I am curious; does Tesla show any signs of caving on this? Are they kind of like where Toyota was in 2016 with Android Auto/CarPlay? Is there a way to install a aftermarket headunit in the car and get Android Auto / Apple CarPlay? I get a chuckle out of this; they got a fart app on the car, but no Android Auto / CarPlay? I've heard the navigation system is pretty lackluster in the infotainment, and over the years I have just grown dependent on rentals / my cars having support for these (and using them over OEM infotainment)
  • Google Maps - is there native Google Maps navigation support?
  • Wyze - is there native Wyze navigation support?
  • Apple Podcasts / Google Podcasts - is there native support in the infotainment, or is this all through bluetooth?
  • What is the most annoying aspects of having most functionality managed through the software infotainment UI? Is the multitouch support rock solid? Is there lag? Is it like calling Comcast and having to navigate through a phone free, with things buried deep? Do you ever feel it is distracting to not able to rely on physical buttons, or do the steering wheel controls offer UI navigation?

Lastly service centers/dealers......
  • Whats the deal? Is Tesla ever going to build out their dealer/service network (maybe not identical to a traditional vehicle manufacturer)?
  • Has the vehicle service & support matured? Are repairs a multi-week/month process? Are replacement parts in short supply or delayed, lengthening repair times?
  • What is the service experience like for someone that has only surface street parking on roads with 25mph+ traffic, and has a dealer 3 hours away? Will Tesla come pickup the vehicle, drop off a loaner, and provide me with that convenience? Does Tesla require me to drive 6 hours to drop off my car, and 6 hours to pickup my car? Are loaners guaranteed?
  • Are there any authorized 3rd party service centers yet?
  • Are parts still impossible to get? Is there any right to repair with Tesla? Lets say my dog cracks or breaks a interior plastic trim piece, can I get the part, or is this going to be a biggggg ordeal that requires moving mountains or buying it from a parted out salvaged car?
They got the early adopter customer, they got the bleeding edge tech customer. The remaining potential customers are people like me.
  • In response to competition, are the model refreshes, new trim levels, and price reductions just a hint at what it to come with Tesla? How is Tesla going to respond to Rivian, Volkswagon, Ford, and the onslaught of models hiting the market in 2021?
  • Is now a good time to buy a Tesla? Basically...will competition prove beneficial to me in that I will be able to get a Tesla at a better price, with more features, have more service centers, better build quality, etc? The last 6 months it seems Tesla has made a number of....accomodations / changes to their offerings. Most everything seems to be beneficial for the consumer, and I get the feeling that Tesla is trying to broaden the potential customer base for their vehicles. I am even wondering if Tesla will start running promotions like 'December to Remember' and 'Toyotathon'. Special financing, or combo packages to entice customers.......especially as they have exhausted their $7,500 federal tax credit. Would anyone else hold off just a few more months to see what happens?

Rant / Musings below:
When the build quality is what it is, and the service centers/dealers so far and few; it adds up to the be biggest obstacle for me to make the purchase. Visiting a local dealer for a ICE vehicle is already enough of a pain in the butt, even if they come pick-up the vehicle and drop it off. So having to consider buying a vehicle from a manufacturer that barely exists in my entire state, and only exists in the densest / wealthiest zip codes in the state is just a tough pill to swallow. I literally live in "the automobile state", and its surprising to think that Tesla doesn't manufacture any vehicles here, or have what I would describe as a serious service presence across the majority of America. When each service visit could require a 1 day commitment - at best, or a 2 day commitment if I need to drop-off and pickup (3 hours there, 3 hours back......), this whole topic starts to become larger than the significance of the fact that I am buying the coolest EV around. I want one really bad, but I also don't live in Palo Alto.

At times I feel the Tesla brand just isn't for a "normal middle America person" like me, and is really designed more to be a Cali-Car. I would really love if Tesla could just make a big push to have a presence in 2nd tier cities across the USA, and eventually 3rd tier cities. There are MSA's/population centers with 350k, 750k, even more than a million citizens - that are still several hours from their local Tesla dealer/service center. Then the anxiety over the fact that a single service center The traditional dealership model has its flaws, but there is something to be said for the accessibility of service, and even just the feeling of knowing that companies is invested in your city (employing people, paying property taxes, sponsoring little league teams, whatever). I think this could offer a lot - to get people like me off the fence, and in to a Tesla. Or maybe they won't, and Volkswagon and Ford will be the brands that let people touch, feel, and experience an electric vehicle in a way that Tesla reserves for Palo Alto, Austin and Portland. Currently there is one Tesla service center, and one dealer in my state. This one service center supports a state with 10 million residents, spread across more than 96000 square miles. I would be curious to know how many Teslas are registered in my state, because I could at least have context / perspective on how many vehicles this service center is supporting, although I admit, it might discourage me to hear the number of vehicles the sole service center is tasked with supporting. It is a $60 or $80k vehicle, it is a big purchase. I come with expectations that it should, by most measures, be nicer than a entry-level luxury car like a BMW 3 series or Mercedes C series.

The reason that buying a Model S is on the table, is because Tesla's don't appear to depreciate much in value (historically, that is....). So even if I spend $80k on a vehicle, there looks to be buyers willing to pay nearly full retail MSRP price for used models with 20-30000 miles on them. If buying the Model S is just the easiest way to get the Tesla everyone deserves to drive, then it might be the best choice for me. So in a weird way, the Model S helps ease my concern about vehicle service....

Despite all these concerns, I have an immense amount of respect for Tesla. They are a disruptor. They are innovative. They are a international mega-brand that commands attention around the world. They built out their own (proprietary) "gas station network" with the supercharger network. And because of this, I still am willing to make the trek to a not-local dealer, and pay $80,000 for a car, sight unseen. If I buy it, and I don't like it, I can just sell it.

TL DR most of it.

Don’t buy Teslas during a production ramp, Elon Musk says:

‘‘Either buy it right at the beginning, or when the production reaches a steady state.’’

Don’t buy Teslas during a production ramp, Elon Musk says

Reactions: El joe
The reason that buying a Model S is on the table, is because Tesla's don't appear to depreciate much in value (historically, that is....). So even if I spend $80k on a vehicle, there looks to be buyers willing to pay nearly full retail MSRP price for used models with 20-30000 miles on them.

heh heh heh. You're going to have to try it and report back how well that worked.

• Funny
Reactions: El joe and Mr X
you re thinking too much -- its called paralysis by analysis. Buy the car NOW that you like -- looks - performance etc. Tomorrow always brings better things. If you follow your logic you will keep waiting forever for the car that has everything. We ar eon an early adoption phase - things will move rapidly YOLO live for today. Make the move. Stop thinking -- I didnt even read your book up there just some select words to know what's nagging you.

Drove a brand new Model Y LR AWD today no acceleration boost and my 2019 SR+ Model 3 feels faster than it lol

Model Y - Costs more, slower, more space, higher driving position

Model 3 - Costs less, faster, more range, sportier driving feel

Currently, I'd say the Model 3 LR AWD is the best value car in terms of price, range and performance

The choice is yours

Most likely considering a Model Y .

I think you just get what you want, when you want it. I had a ton of concerns about build quality, charging strategy, range anxiety, etc., but did a ton of research before plunging in on my first EV - and haven't looked back since last July. I think one can overthink it...if you want it, go for it! If you're still on the fence, or worried about "will I get all the features?" you will be waiting forever.

Drove a brand new Model Y LR AWD today no acceleration boost and my 2019 SR+ Model 3 feels faster than it lol

Model Y - Costs more, slower, more space, higher driving position

Model 3 - Costs less, faster, more range, sportier driving feel

Currently, I'd say the Model 3 LR AWD is the best value car in terms of price, range and performance

The choice is yours
The specs for the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y include 0 to 60 MPH in 4.8 seconds (without the $2k acceleration boost option.) The SR+ Model 3 is slower by about a half second. It could be that in the Model Y you test drove the battery charge was below 70% or the battery was cold.

Your post is too much man :)

The quality is basically the same between the cars. The decision matrix is simple:

prefer car or suv? This chops the choices in half.

Prefer budget or high end? Or bigger vs smaller? Either way can get you to the final car.

That gets you S3YX. Then within you pick budget in town, max range, or max performance. (Budget not available in SX).

trying to somehow microtime build quality and feature releases is crazy. The cars aren’t really the same, I don’t see why you would be shopping so many.

P.S. what state are you in? I am in Indiana and own a Y.

I don’t understand why Tesla won’t offer CarPlay.

This is the kind of thing that will cost them a lot of share one day. Right now they do well because nobody else makes a good electric car. But that is going to change in the not too distant future.
Don't forget about Android Auto as there are many Tesla owners who have an Android phone. I had CarPlay in my Chevy Volt. I used CarPlay primarily for navigation as my Volt did not have the optional built-in navigation system. If you compare the functionality of CarPlay to the native Tesla infotainment system what is lacking?

Navigation: Usually CarPlay users want to use Google Maps and/or Waze for navigation and traffic updates. Tesla is part of the way there as Tesla uses the Google Maps database. Tesla just needs to add native support for Waze.

Phone and Text: Phone and text integration is better in CarPlay but only if you have an iPhone.

Streaming: CarPlay includes Apple Music, Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, IHeartRadio, Tunein and Audible Books. Today the Tesla can stream all of these sources from your phone using BT. You can also stream SiriusXM from your phone. Tesla already offers native Slacker and Spotify Premium. It has been stated that Tesla will be releasing native support for Amazon Music and Tidal.

Wired CarPlay is so 2016. To be relevant in 2021 it needs to be wireless CarPlay. Ford has this now in the Mustand Mach-E.

Last edited:
Don't forget about Android Auto as there are many Tesla owners who have an Android phone. I had CarPlay in my Chevy Volt. I used CarPlay primarily for navigation as my Volt did not have the optional built-in navigation system. If you compare the functionality of CarPlay to the native Tesla infotainment system what is lacking?

Navigation: Usually CarPlay users want to use Google Maps and/or Waze for navigation and traffic updates. Tesla is part of the way there as Tesla uses the Google Maps database. Tesla just needs to add native support for Waze.

Phone and Text: Phone and text integration is better in CarPlay but only if you have an iPhone.

Streaming: CarPlay includes Apple Music, Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, IHeartRadio, Tunein and Audible Books. Today the Tesla can stream all of these sources from your phone using BT. You can also stream SiriusXM from your phone. Tesla already offers native Slacker and Spotify Premium. It has been stated that Tesla will be releasing native support for Amazon Music and Tidal.

Wired CarPlay is so 2016. To be relevant in 2021 it needs to be wireless CarPlay. Ford has this now in the Mustand Mach-E.

Phone and text integration is important. WhatsApp. Calendar. Apple Podcasts app. Waze. Audible. Blinkist.

The point is you can get a lot on CarPlay that Tesla cannot match.

If wired CarPlay is so 2016, then having no CarPlay is so 2012.

I don’t understand why Tesla won’t offer CarPlay.

This is the kind of thing that will cost them a lot of share one day. Right now they do well because nobody else makes a good electric car. But that is going to change in the not too distant future.
Basically it takes software development effort that is better spent elsewhere.

In other threads people made a great point. Tesla necessarily has to make a decent navigation system (not the horrible systems most other companies have) due to NOA and FSD, and can't rely on Carplay or Android Auto. That both kills one primary use case and also sets a limitation.

Elon did entertain the idea of some sort of screen mirroring, so he is not fundamentally opposed to the idea. Just likely it is extremely low priority.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1274552459055165441?lang=en

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung

In other threads people made a great point. Tesla necessarily has to make a decent navigation system (not the horrible systems most other companies have) due to NOA and FSD, and can't rely on Carplay or Android Auto. That both kills one primary use case and also sets a limitation.

Elon did entertain the idea of some sort of screen mirroring, so he is not fundamentally opposed to the idea. Just likely it is extremely low priority.
You make a good point. Tesla could open up their platform to more 3rd party software. I use an iPhone and an Apple Watch but in the US Android phones are 38% of the market and globally Android phones are a staggering 87% of the smart phone market. Tesla shouldn't disenfranchise their Android users. Native support for popular 3rd party apps would serve the broader market.

I can envision app integration with the Tesla Navigation similar to navigating to a SuperCharger. I.e., using the Tesla voice command function you could say "Take me to Burger Place" and the Tesla UI would automatically call up your favorite order at your favorite burger place. You could accept or change the order. The 3rd party app would work with the Tesla software to determine how many minutes away you were, including current traffic, and submit and pay for your order so that your order was ready within a minute of your arrival at the Burger Place.

Rationnalising limitations in their product based on FSD only makes sense if FSD is standard and if it does what it says it does. However FSD is not standard and at $10k for a feature that doesn’t actually self drive, most people don’t buy it. So it’s not unreasonable that they should design their car to support human control.

The classic question and yes did anyone really read all that :)

Whats important to you
-looks
-interior
-reliability
-cost (what can you afford)
-driving experience
-For EVs, have often do you drive long distances.

Also how old you are makes a difference too.

Buying any first year model (or major change) from any carmaker is risky.
Best bet is to wait until the 2nd year.

My summary (ignoring other factors)
If you like driving, get a Model 3.
If you need a more space, get a Model Y.
If you like external design and comfort, get a new Model S (suggesting waiting a few months)

Wow man. I can't help but point out that most of your questions are debated and discussed in threads all over the forum regularly, on YouTube, and on countless blogs and subreddits. We like to be helpful people, but at this point you are just asking us to do all your research and prepare a summary for you. You need to hire an assistant for that sort of thing.

Having gotten that out of the way, I agree with the sentiment that you are WAY overthinking this. Pick the car that has the features you want for the price you are willing to pay. Everything else is out of your control. If possible build issues are going to be a deal breaker for you if they happen on your car and you don't want to deal with the hassle of rejecting and waiting on another car etc, don't buy a Tesla. I'm not trying to be mean with that. It's just that unfortunately right now Tesla are sort of like Lancia or Alfa Romeo. Beautiful cars, technically brilliant, but not always well executed. But people still bought those cars, knowing there would be issues, and people still buy Tesla's. But if the issues are deal breakers for you, you need to look at something else. Just like people who didn't buy Lancia's or Alfa's.

Status
Not open for further replies.