Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3/Y/S buyer on the fence. Worried about missing features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand why Tesla won’t offer CarPlay.

This is the kind of thing that will cost them a lot of share one day. Right now they do well because nobody else makes a good electric car. But that is going to change in the not too distant future.
Carplay is just not as that important in the grand scheme of things. No one buys cars based what apps it works with. I agree that when comparing two cars, all other things being equal, I'd pick the one with carplay. But all other things are never equal. Much more important are price, range, can it hold all of the kids plus the associated cruft that comes along with kids, can it then hold all the other stuff you use a car for after you shove the kids and their cruft into it, oh yeah and the dog, etc. The list of things that are important to car buyers is very long and for most of them, Carplay and Android Auto is firmly in the bottom quarter.

Not having carplay doesn't mean I can't use Waze after all. I can still use my phone for whatever I want even if it doesn't show on the Tesla screen. Lots of people who have carplay don't even KNOW they have carplay and never miss it. It's amazing how many times I get into a persons car, that they have owned for months or years, ask to plug in my phone to play them a song or something and bring up spotify via carplay and they freak out because they think I just hacked their "radio" because they never knew they had carplay.

Reactions: JP Bark
Rationnalising limitations in their product based on FSD only makes sense if FSD is standard and if it does what it says it does. However FSD is not standard and at $10k for a feature that doesn’t actually self drive, most people don’t buy it. So it’s not unreasonable that they should design their car to support human control.
Well, that's not Elon's vision for his products. Whether or not FSD is standard (or 'fully self driving') at this point is immaterial. His vision is that his cars will be autonomous at some point (soon), so I can understand why he is loath to open the floodgates and clutter the system up with all sorts of aftermarket stuff that COULD impede things down the road. Having only used Apple CarPlay once (and didn't like how it took over everything), it's no great loss to me personally.

Rationnalising limitations in their product based on FSD only makes sense if FSD is standard and if it does what it says it does. However FSD is not standard and at $10k for a feature that doesn’t actually self drive, most people don’t buy it. So it’s not unreasonable that they should design their car to support human control.
That's irrelevant to Tesla given every car essentially has the hardware necessary for the FSD option, plus they are going to release the subscription soon. What you say would only apply if Tesla has different hardware configurations where some don't support FSD, where it might make sense to ignore any FSD imposed limitations.

Basically what I'm saying, they necessarily have to spend extra software effort to make a decent nav system (which is shared by all cars, no matter if you have FSD or not) and the system has to work with FSD (because potentially every car can be updated after sale to use it).

That's irrelevant to Tesla given every car essentially has the hardware necessary for the FSD option, plus they are going to release the subscription soon. What you say would only apply if Tesla has different hardware configurations where some don't support FSD, where it might make sense to ignore any FSD imposed limitations.

Basically what I'm saying, they necessarily have to spend extra software effort to make a decent nav system (which is shared by all cars, no matter if you have FSD or not) and the system has to work with FSD (because potentially every car can be updated after sale to use it).

What does the nav system have to do with text messaging integration or click to call from your calendar?

What does the nav system have to do with text messaging integration or click to call from your calendar?
It doesn't, but nav is one huge primarily use case for both Carplay and Android Auto given most car makers have horrible navigation systems. That means Tesla can afford to put that on the back burner (there would be a lot more urgency to add if the nav system was as bad as other carmakers, as it may be a dealbreaker). The text and calendar/contacts integrations even in other car infotainment systems actually is not as bad due to it being supported by Bluetooth.

As I put it, it is very low or no priority for Tesla at the moment. They have a lot more other software that their effort is better spent on.

There have been so many posts with this very topic. Here's reality, Tesla develops and releases its products on a CI/CD platform (continuous integration/continuous development). This simply means that it will be extremely difficult (I'd say impossible) to stay ahead of the curve because by the time you think you got everything you want, Tesla is developing yet another "feature". Luckily, anything software related will be updated free by OTA updates but if it's hardware related, you are SOL. The most recent example this? Tail lights! The update changed mid-production before the new year even arrived. Recourse for retrofit? None!! At least, not at the moment. See what I mean?

As for the build quality, unfortunately, the US units will lag behind Shanghai and Berlin built units until Texas comes online with all new facilities and machinery (i.e. new press machine machines, robots, paint facility, etc) surpassing the dated Fremont factory.

Thus, as many have said here before. Just be happy with what you have and stop torturing yourself with the "grass is always greener..." thing. You will never be satisfied.

My MY is a 3rd QTR unit built and delivered in 7/2020. I may not have THE perfect unit but I take in comfort that there have been ZERO issues with drive motors, HVAC system is perfect working order, NO unusual squeaks or rattles, or any other gremlins that are haunting so many other owners here with the newer build dates. I LOVE my MY.

Drove a brand new Model Y LR AWD today no acceleration boost and my 2019 SR+ Model 3 feels faster than it lol

Model Y - Costs more, slower, more space, higher driving position

Model 3 - Costs less, faster, more range, sportier driving feel

Currently, I'd say the Model 3 LR AWD is the best value car in terms of price, range and performance

The choice is yours
I’ve driven them all. M3 is the best EV in the market. Handles beautifully, nimble, fast, all the perks you could want. I own black with white interior, dual motor, hi performance and every upgrade available. The car is vastly superior to my BMW 535, Mercedes 350, Acura luxury sedan...as long as larger interior cabin space is not an issue. Add autopilot, summon, auto navigation, no gas emissions, little noise, etc etc and it is truly a no brained.

I will try to answer some of your ? below (being a MY owner and also driven M3 before).

• HomeLink - no it is optional but for ~$300, you get free installation and a "smart" HomeLink in which it will open the garage as the car approaches and close the garage when the vehicle leaves.
  • Heated steering wheel - Yes it is standard now.
  • Non-Autopilot driver assistance. If I don't spend $10,000 on a software feature....does the Tesla still have backup camera, blind spot warning/detection, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, auto-brake crash avoidance? Yes, the $10K is for FSD. Without it, the basic Autopilot still take care of everything you listed.
  • Electric adjustable seats - Yes it is standard. Not controlled by the screen but Elon kept mentioning that there will be profile for both seats. Currently, support multiple profiles.
  • Heated / Cooled front seats - Heated seats are standard. Not sure about Cooled seat on MY.
  • In a ICE, the hot air doesn't start blowing out of the HVAC vents until the engine warms up; if you don't pre-heat (condition?) your vehicle, does hot air still start blowing out of the vents right away? Is there a warm-up period? What is the HVAC system like? Are there shortcuts to adjust the HVAC without having to navigate thru the infotainment UI? No, HVAC is probably the best part for EV vehicle, no hot air/ no warm up, everything is almost perfect except I wish there were an easy way to open/close the air circulation.
  • Android Auto / Apple CarPlay - No but I never missed much. It supports Bluetooth and I use a combination of Spotify and SSD hard drive (loaded with music).
  • Google Maps - is there native Google Maps navigation support? Yes, with live traffic. Probably one of the best maps out there compared to other vehicles.
  • Wyze - is there native Wyze navigation support? No.
  • Apple Podcasts / Google Podcasts - is there native support in the infotainment, or is this all through bluetooth? Through Bluetooth.
  • What is the most annoying aspects of having most functionality managed through the software infotainment UI? Is the multitouch support rock solid? Is there lag? Is it like calling Comcast and having to navigate through a phone free, with things buried deep? Do you ever feel it is distracting to not able to rely on physical buttons, or do the steering wheel controls offer UI navigation? Well, nothing is ever perfect and if I like certain features and dislike others, I'm sure others are different. Most I like about the interface is that it's very Apple iPhone like, smooth, easy to use/navigate; least I like are the screen not tiltable and glaring is an issue (fixed that with a Spigen screen protector and tinted front window).

Not sure how to edit a post but a few more comments:
- I normally use voice commands now, rarely touch the screen when I drive (actually even when it is in Autopilot which is 95% in my normal driving).
- Software does improve significantly over time. I know this sounds weird to most non-Tesla owners but it's true.
- Never been inside a S model but given a choice, I'll take MY over M3: taller, more spacious, better view, good road trip vehicles. Downside is a bit of power efficiency.

Most likely considering a Model Y due to the space, but have considered the 3 / S for their range and quality. I've read Tesla has really figured out how to build the Model S, and that not only does its fit & finish standout, but its quality stands out compared to the 3 / Y as well.And of course, I like the 3's price point and range. But....I have hesitations....

Despite all these concerns, I have an immense amount of respect for Tesla. They are a disruptor. They are innovative. They are a international mega-brand that commands attention around the world. They built out their own (proprietary) "gas station network" with the supercharger network. And because of this, I still am willing to make the trek to a not-local dealer, and pay $80,000 for a car, sight unseen. If I buy it, and I don't like it, I can just sell it.
All your questions are good and clever questions. Unfortunatly, you are often right. Let's say this car has amazing performance and that the supercharger network is the main advantage. A lot of functionnalties are not written but exist, but more and important (like intermediate waypoints on GPS doesn't!) . You must have an appointment for every task in service centers (impossible to go to a normal garage, and if you do, guaranty falls!) but you have to travel 300km , wait and return home 300km for 1 hour operation. If longer, take an hotel room for one or 2 nights .. and so one. However, Model 3 is a wonderful car if you were lucky to have one with no default. As they have more customers than they can deliver cars ... they don't care for anything about you .... So! Good luck.
My next car will be a chinese NIO E7, if french charging network has progressed in 4 years.

you re thinking too much -- its called paralysis by analysis. Buy the car NOW that you like -- looks - performance etc. Tomorrow always brings better things. If you follow your logic you will keep waiting forever for the car that has everything. We ar eon an early adoption phase - things will move rapidly YOLO live for today. Make the move. Stop thinking -- I didnt even read your book up there just some select words to know what's nagging you.
This. All of this. Just buy the car. Don’t worry/think too much.

All your questions are good and clever questions. Unfortunatly, you are often right. Let's say this car has amazing performance and that the supercharger network is the main advantage. A lot of functionnalties are not written but exist, but more and important (like intermediate waypoints on GPS doesn't!) . You must have an appointment for every task in service centers (impossible to go to a normal garage, and if you do, guaranty falls!) but you have to travel 300km , wait and return home 300km for 1 hour operation. If longer, take an hotel room for one or 2 nights .. and so one. However, Model 3 is a wonderful car if you were lucky to have one with no default. As they have more customers than they can deliver cars ... they don't care for anything about you .... So! Good luck.
My next car will be a chinese NIO E7, if french charging network has progressed in 4 years.
Then why are you here?

There have been so many posts with this very topic. Here's reality, Tesla develops and releases its products on a CI/CD platform (continuous integration/continuous development). This simply means that it will be extremely difficult (I'd say impossible) to stay ahead of the curve because by the time you think you got everything you want, Tesla is developing yet another "feature". Luckily, anything software related will be updated free by OTA updates but if it's hardware related, you are SOL. The most recent example this? Tail lights! The update changed mid-production before the new year even arrived. Recourse for retrofit? None!! At least, not at the moment. See what I mean?

As for the build quality, unfortunately, the US units will lag behind Shanghai and Berlin built units until Texas comes online with all new facilities and machinery (i.e. new press machine machines, robots, paint facility, etc) surpassing the dated Fremont factory.

Thus, as many have said here before. Just be happy with what you have and stop torturing yourself with the "grass is always greener..." thing. You will never be satisfied.

My MY is a 3rd QTR unit built and delivered in 7/2020. I may not have THE perfect unit but I take in comfort that there have been ZERO issues with drive motors, HVAC system is perfect working order, NO unusual squeaks or rattles, or any other gremlins that are haunting so many other owners here with the newer build dates. I LOVE my MY.
This is exactly what keeps me going. I have the car. It works fine. I can wait a few years for other features if they warrant an upgrade. I was annoyed when I heard about the heated steering wheel and new headlights on the 3, but I think about my previous car and I would not want to be driving that for the past 5 months. Not worth it lol

On the cold aspect... know that plenty of people are buying Tesla in Quebec, Canada (where I live) and in European nordic countries so it is probably not a bad winter car :)
There are positives of having a Tesla in the winter. You can preheat from the app without feeling bad for the environment for example. You can hop in and drive without pampering your cold engine, you get heat immediately etc... I don't know where you live, all depends on how cold it get. There are videos on Youtube about people in -32C temperature and the car works fine.
There are things that are not quite as good when it's cold. The biggest one is: the range is reduced because consumption is higher in winter and cold batteries have less available energy. You just have to be aware and adjust.

I will try to answer some of your ? below (being a MY owner and also driven M3 before).

• HomeLink - no it is optional but for ~$300, you get free installation and a "smart" HomeLink in which it will open the garage as the car approaches and close the garage when the vehicle leaves.
  • Heated steering wheel - Yes it is standard now.
  • Non-Autopilot driver assistance. If I don't spend $10,000 on a software feature....does the Tesla still have backup camera, blind spot warning/detection, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, auto-brake crash avoidance? Yes, the $10K is for FSD. Without it, the basic Autopilot still take care of everything you listed.
  • Electric adjustable seats - Yes it is standard. Not controlled by the screen but Elon kept mentioning that there will be profile for both seats. Currently, support multiple profiles.
  • Heated / Cooled front seats - Heated seats are standard. Not sure about Cooled seat on MY.
  • In a ICE, the hot air doesn't start blowing out of the HVAC vents until the engine warms up; if you don't pre-heat (condition?) your vehicle, does hot air still start blowing out of the vents right away? Is there a warm-up period? What is the HVAC system like? Are there shortcuts to adjust the HVAC without having to navigate thru the infotainment UI? No, HVAC is probably the best part for EV vehicle, no hot air/ no warm up, everything is almost perfect except I wish there were an easy way to open/close the air circulation.
  • Android Auto / Apple CarPlay - No but I never missed much. It supports Bluetooth and I use a combination of Spotify and SSD hard drive (loaded with music).
  • Google Maps - is there native Google Maps navigation support? Yes, with live traffic. Probably one of the best maps out there compared to other vehicles.
  • Wyze - is there native Wyze navigation support? No.
  • Apple Podcasts / Google Podcasts - is there native support in the infotainment, or is this all through bluetooth? Through Bluetooth.
  • What is the most annoying aspects of having most functionality managed through the software infotainment UI? Is the multitouch support rock solid? Is there lag? Is it like calling Comcast and having to navigate through a phone free, with things buried deep? Do you ever feel it is distracting to not able to rely on physical buttons, or do the steering wheel controls offer UI navigation? Well, nothing is ever perfect and if I like certain features and dislike others, I'm sure others are different. Most I like about the interface is that it's very Apple iPhone like, smooth, easy to use/navigate; least I like are the screen not tiltable and glaring is an issue (fixed that with a Spigen screen protector and tinted front window).
He doesn't really care - he never posted again after his first and only post.

I don’t understand why Tesla won’t offer CarPlay.

This is the kind of thing that will cost them a lot of share one day. Right now they do well because nobody else makes a good electric car. But that is going to change in the not too distant future.
I just picked up my LR Y today. I do not miss having CarPlay. The Tesla interface provides all the functionality that I need.it would not be a good idea to lose screen real estate to accommodate CarPlay features.

Status
Not open for further replies.