Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3/Y Yoke Style Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel [hansshow]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, since you have yours now as well, I feel that since this yoke is based on the original wheel - and not a total redesign as the Model S yoke - it's not as compact as the Model S yoke, and thus grabbing our yoke from the 4/5 and 7/8 o'clock position to do a wider turn makes it way to tall compared to how the more compact Model S yoke would turn. Do you agree? By "tall" I mean the length of the part from the center spoke to the bottom edge of the yoke, as that's longer than that of the Model S.

In other words, I feel as if I have to stretch more than I usually would when doing this on the normal round wheel, and - of course - as I would on the compact Model S yoke.

That's one of the reasons why I might swap back to the original wheel.

Your thoughts?

So, since you have yours now as well, I feel that since this yoke is based on the original wheel - and not a total redesign as the Model S yoke - it's not as compact as the Model S yoke, and thus grabbing our yoke from the 4/5 and 7/8 o'clock position to do a wider turn makes it way to tall compared to how the more compact Model S yoke would turn. Do you agree? By "tall" I mean the length of the part from the center spoke to the bottom edge of the yoke, as that's longer than that of the Model S.

In other words, I feel as if I have to stretch more than I usually would when doing this on the normal round wheel, and - of course - as I would on the compact Model S yoke.

Your thoughts?

It would be nice if they worked off of this design. I wouldn't pay for a yoke but it seems easy enough to adapt to if the car came with it.

2021-Tesla-Model-S-Plaid-Offsite-4.png

All of the yokes for 3/Y remind me of those expectation vs reality memes.

When-I-Wear-A-Tight-Shirt-expectations-5852d7d23df78ce2c3e61b97.jpg

Your thoughts?
So for me this wheel is definitely a form over function mod. I love how it looks but yeah it makes less sense from an ease of steering standpoint. I'm going to keep it on for a while and see how I deal with it in winter driving.

Reactions: rrohde
OK. You nerds convinced me to get one of these. I ended choosing this one from AliExpress cause it appealed the most to me and looks more similar to the shape/style of OEM yoke supplied on the refresh Model S. Should arrive in a few weeks. I also think this one has better, cleaner and more discreet looking stitching than all the other ones I’ve seen for the Model 3/Y.
The last photo at the bottom also shows the OEM yoke from the Model S for a side-by-side comparison.

I’m open to new ideas. So, looking forward to the new driving experience with a yoke!!

D960E3AF-990E-48FD-9424-3010056E162B.jpeg

165C140A-0AF4-4400-B926-AADD996A5454.jpeg

7DED83C4-8956-4402-A6F4-BA8611C7E67B.jpeg

Quick update from my side - this morning I removed the yoke again and put my old OEM steering wheel back in.

Besides the aforementioned ergonomics (there's absolutely nothing wrong with Hansshow's craftsmanship on the yoke, so that's not it at all), another reason popped into my mind: I read on a German Tesla forum that - in order for the driver-side airbag to deploy correctly - the backing of the complete round steering wheel is required.

So with our aftermarket yokes, we *might* not get the full airbag benefit in a collision since the top part of the steering wheel is gone and the airbag was not designed for our yokes. This actually drove my decision a little more than ergonomics to go back to the OEM wheel.

@GreenHokie - you're right, that one looks closer in terms of size and ergonomics to that of the Model S yoke; curious what you think once you got it installed.

And yes, I am still totally open for a yoke in my M3P, and I wish that Unplugged would actually make version that's a clone of the Model S one, airbag included (hopefully they make that happen):

1630423354405.png

OK. You nerds convinced me to get one of these. I ended choosing this one from AliExpress cause it appealed the most to me and looks more similar to the shape/style of OEM yoke supplied on the refresh Model S. Should arrive in a few weeks. I also think this one has better, cleaner and more discreet looking stitching than all the other ones I’ve seen for the Model 3/Y.
The last photo at the bottom also shows the OEM yoke from the Model S for a side-by-side comparison.

I’m open to new ideas. So, looking forward to the new driving experience with a yoke!!

View attachment 703264

View attachment 703265

View attachment 703266
Yeah I saw this one it was my next choice, and yeah it does resemble the stock yoke a little more, but for some reason I was still drawn to the Hansshow one. I think the only thing I wish this other yoke had was more pronounced top points if I wanted to hook my one finger around it to turn the wheel. I think if they combined this yoke with the tops of the Hansshow one it would be the closest to an OEM look.

Quick update from my side - this morning I removed the yoke again and put my old OEM steering wheel back in.

Besides the aforementioned ergonomics (there's absolutely nothing wrong with Hansshow's craftsmanship on the yoke, so that's not it at all), another reason popped into my mind: I read on a German Tesla forum that - in order for the driver-side airbag to deploy correctly - the backing of the complete round steering wheel is required.

So with our aftermarket yokes, we *might* not get the full airbag benefit in a collision since the top part of the steering wheel is gone and the airbag was not designed for our yokes. This actually drove my decision a little more than ergonomics to go back to the OEM wheel.

@GreenHokie - you're right, that one looks closer in terms of size and ergonomics to that of the Model S yoke; curious what you think once you got it installed.

And yes, I am still totally open for a yoke in my M3P, and I wish that Unplugged would actually make version that's a clone of the Model S one, airbag included (hopefully they make that happen):

Thanks for the update and info from that German forum. Personally, I think there is really no substance to the concern of the airbag not deploying properly and not providing the intended protection. See attached YouTube video showing actual crash testing and airbag deployment. At the 0:58 and 1:05 second mark into the video, where they replay the deployment in slow-motion, pay very close attention to how and where the airbag on the steering wheel deploys. You will see that the air bag does not actually touch or rely on the upper circular section of the steering wheel for proper deployment. In fact, the only time the back of the air bag touches the upper section of the round steering wheel is when the driver’s head makes contact with the airbag from the initial forward thrust of the collision/impact, which pushes the top of the air bag forward. Of course, the seat/shoulder belt should prevent the driver’s head from moving too far forward and hitting the top of the steering wheel.

So, I personally don’t think proper airbag deployment should be a concern with most yoke style steering wheels. One could actually argue that a yoke shaped steering wheel may actually be safer for the driver because there is no risk for the driver’s head to hit the top section of the steering wheel during a front collision (because a yoke has no top section).

Having said all this, anyone who modifies their vehicle should understand and accept some element of risk.

I’ll definitely follow-up with some photos once I receive/install my yoke. I think the one I ordered is a newer style that recently became available. I don’t have dimensions, but this one appears to be slightly more compact and ergonomic than most of the others. We shall see…

@GreenHokie: points well made!

Thanks. And, one last point/opinion from me. Definitely don’t hold your breathe on Unplugged Performance coming out with their version of a yoke style steering wheel, and for darn sure don’t believe for a second that UP would actually perform crash tests on a fully functional/stock Model 3 to determine how an airbag in their yoke steering wheel would deploy/perform…

At least you could have left me with a smidgen of hope here... ;)
Haha! Well played! 👍

Seriously though, I think I’m really gonna love both the look and feel of the newer style yoke I ordered. Can’t wait to get it installed and snap some photos for you. Hoping to convince you to come back to the dark/fun side!! :cool:

Did you end up returning the Hansshow one for a partial refund? Or, did you decide to bite the bullet and keep it?

So, for anyone considering a yoke steering wheel but not quite sure which brand/style to get, here is a recently uploaded video showing someone who bought/installed the exact same one that I have on order. The video is kind of long, but I think this guy did a good job of communicating/sharing his honest opinion about the product, driving experience and installation. After watching this video, I’m even more convince I chose/bought the right one (which most resembles the OEM yoke supplied on the Model S). Can’t wait til it arrives!!!

Thanks for the update and info from that German forum. Personally, I think there is really no substance to the concern of the airbag not deploying properly and not providing the intended protection. See attached YouTube video showing actual crash testing and airbag deployment. At the 0:58 and 1:05 second mark into the video, where they replay the deployment in slow-motion, pay very close attention to how and where the airbag on the steering wheel deploys. You will see that the air bag does not actually touch or rely on the upper circular section of the steering wheel for proper deployment. In fact, the only time the back of the air bag touches the upper section of the round steering wheel is when the driver’s head makes contact with the airbag from the initial forward thrust of the collision/impact, which pushes the top of the air bag forward. Of course, the seat/shoulder belt should prevent the driver’s head from moving too far forward and hitting the top of the steering wheel.

So, I personally don’t think proper airbag deployment should be a concern with most yoke style steering wheels. One could actually argue that a yoke shaped steering wheel may actually be safer for the driver because there is no risk for the driver’s head to hit the top section of the steering wheel during a front collision (because a yoke has no top section).

Having said all this, anyone who modifies their vehicle should understand and accept some element of risk.

I’ll definitely follow-up with some photos once I receive/install my yoke. I think the one I ordered is a newer style that recently became available. I don’t have dimensions, but this one appears to be slightly more compact and ergonomic than most of the others. We shall see…
I’ll play devils advocate……I feel after watching the video that it’s actually “less safe” with the yoke because in the slow motion video you can clearly see that after inflation and the head contacts the airbag that the top of the circular OEM standard steering wheel applies resistance to the bag AND keeps the neck erect, the head and MORE IMPORTANTLY the neck then rebound to stay erect. With a yoke I could see NOT having the top circumference of the wheel to provide head and neck support between the wheel and the airbag. Therefore more likely the airbag would continue forward with velocity and motion of the head and neck towards the dash and windshield area without the back support of the round steering wheel because on the yoke it’s just not there. I could then see the neck snapping and “hingeing” over the yoke. Nice argument to talk yourself into the efficacy and safety of the yoke over the OEM wheel but I don’t buy it. Therefore LESS SAFE. YMMV.

Ski

My first guess is that literally no one dies with the wheel pointed perfectly straight, my second guess is that there may be some way overthinking going on, but feel free to talk yourself into whatever you want. To each his own. Live and let be I say.

Official car owner

I’ll play devils advocate……I feel after watching the video that it’s actually “less safe” with the yoke because in the slow motion video you can clearly see that after inflation and the head contacts the airbag that the top of the circular OEM standard steering wheel applies resistance to the bag AND keeps the neck erect, the head and MORE IMPORTANTLY the neck then rebound to stay erect. With a yoke I could see NOT having the top circumference of the wheel to provide head and neck support between the wheel and the airbag. Therefore more likely the airbag would continue forward with velocity and motion of the head and neck towards the dash and windshield area without the back support of the round steering wheel because on the yoke it’s just not there. I could then see the neck snapping and “hingeing” over the yoke. Nice argument to talk yourself into the efficacy and safety of the yoke over the OEM wheel but I don’t buy it. Therefore LESS SAFE. YMMV.

Ski
I think your counter-observations are fair/reasonable. Impossible to know either way. For me, the “risk” is a complete non-issue and one I’m willing to take. Again, if the driver is wearing his/her seat-shoulder belt, then that will prevent the driver’s head & body from accelerating much past where the airbag would deploy regardless of the type of steering wheel. Of course, everyone needs to make their own assessment/decision if this “risk” is real and then act accordingly. If you don’t think a yoke style steering wheel is safe, then just don’t buy it. It’s really that simple…

Hey there. Yes, that is the brand/style that I ordered. However, I chose the option with no top cover/scroll wheels. See print screen from below. This one is only $450 + $27 VAT charge that will appear later in your cart when you order. So, total delivered price will be $477.
I want to use the cover/scroll wheel assembly from my current OEM steering wheel (since it already has the carbon fiber vinyl wrap and red colored Tesla T logo on it). So, I saw no need to pay for another top cover/scroll wheel assembly that I would never use anyway. Link to the actual product page also attached below.

EBFE6233-CA2C-4BAC-9584-E84B3BD8B088.png

Reactions: JETS BLY and rrohde