Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3/Y Yoke Style Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel [hansshow]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hansshow now has a yoke steering wheel. Its super expensive, but I’m quite into it. I’m not in a rush so there might be others later, but for now what I see are these two options:

Video of the Hansshow:

I’m not fond of Hannshow in general for their support but again I’m a fan of the style (don’t judge me…yes I know a ton of people here, on Reddit, elsewhere will question my sanity). The Hyenna seems to be an inverted trapezoid and I think I’d prefer the more trapezoid of the Hansshow.

OK so purpose of my post - first, just curious if anyone else has gotten one of these (beyond YouTube people who hawk specific distributors) (either recently or perhaps in the future if someone searches this thread) and second, without concern about the actual idea of a yoke (because there are hundreds of posts on that), what are your thoughts on the materials and design of each one?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Gasaraki
Hansshow now has a yoke steering wheel. Its super expensive, but I’m quite into it. I’m not in a rush so there might be others later, but for now what I see are these two options:

Video of the Hansshow:

I’m not fond of Hannshow in general for their support but again I’m a fan of the style (don’t judge me…yes I know a ton of people here, on Reddit, elsewhere will question my sanity). The Hyenna seems to be an inverted trapezoid and I think I’d prefer the more trapezoid of the Hansshow.

OK so purpose of my post - first, just curious if anyone else has gotten one of these (beyond YouTube people who hawk specific distributors) (either recently or perhaps in the future if someone searches this thread) and second, without concern about the actual idea of a yoke (because there are hundreds of posts on that), what are your thoughts on the materials and design of each one?
I ordered a trapezoid one with nappa leather last week. They said about a 10 day lead time. I'll let you know my thoughts when I receive it.

So that yoke also interests me, and I am very, very tempted. But - after emailing them - they only seem to have yokes with the plastic scroll wheels available instead of the 2021 metal scroll wheels. So that means to me that they're using older Tesla steering wheels to convert them to yokes.

If they had confirmed in email that "sure, we'll get you a yoke with metal scroll wheels", I would have already bitten the bullet and ordered one - no question about it. Love that idea.

@Dondula: Curious what you think about yours when the time comes.

Interesting. I didn't think of that. Is that a rather involved procedure?
Not particularly, no. This guy does it as part of his steering wheel swap video:

He actually swaps over the whole "frame" part of the wheel to his replacement one, which doesn't have that at all. I guess you would do similar as otherwise looking at that yoke wheel you'd have a carbon-style bit at the bottom and non-carbon side bits, if that makes sense.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and rrohde
You could always transfer your metal scroll wheels, if you wanted. Both those parts are removable from the wheel assembly.
Yeah I think for the 2021 you would have to do this anyway. Something about how the new models only sync with the factory buttons? The old ones seem to be plug and play though. So I was planning on replacing the whole front and all controls from my current wheel to the yoke. I've done something like this before, the hardest part for me was pulling the frame from the wheel without bending any of the plastic surroundings. We'll see I guess.

I wrote to them yesterday asking for an order update but they couldn't give me one. They kept saying it's custom so it could take some time. So definitely longer than the 10 days they originally quoted me.

Reactions: Durzel
I think you might have a stray blue connector from the harness when you take that frame out of the car, as 2021 cars with heated steering wheels have an extra connector at the bottom of the wheel that the yoke won't have.

I think you might have a stray blue connector from the harness when you take that frame out of the car, as 2021 cars with heated steering wheels have an extra connector at the bottom of the wheel that the yoke won't have.
That is the only thing I wasn't sure about. They told me when ordering to put a note in that I have a heated wheel and they would include the connector. I just wasn't sure where it plugs in.

Not particularly, no. This guy does it as part of his steering wheel swap video:

He actually swaps over the whole "frame" part of the wheel to his replacement one, which doesn't have that at all. I guess you would do similar as otherwise looking at that yoke wheel you'd have a carbon-style bit at the bottom and non-carbon side bits, if that makes sense.

I'm kinda loving the wheel in that youtube video. Problem is I'm cheap. I don't think I'd pay more than like $500 for a steering wheel. Maybe I check out AliExpress....

Ok, so I bit the bullet as well and ordered the steering yoke with the following specs:
  • Leather: Nappa Black Leather
  • Side Carbon Finish: None
  • Middle Trim Panel: No Carbon Fiber
  • Style Trapezoid
They expect a 7-15 business day lead time before shipping.

Exciting! Keep us posted on the progress, as well as what you think of it once you get it installed.

Are you planning on installing it yourself? The YouTube video that's out there made it seem pretty straightforward.

Reactions: rrohde
It is definitely straightforward. That said, when I recently fitted my heated steering wheel the car pretty much fought me the whole way.

Some observations from a bit of a DIY noob:
  • In almost all of the steering wheel removal videos I watched on YouTube it showed them popping off the airbag one side at a time (e.g. screwdriver or allen key in one side, then the other). That didn't work for me, no matter what I did it left the bottom of the airbag "stuck". The only way I could remove the airbag on mine was to push on the clip holding it in on both sides at the same time, i.e. with an allen key in each hole.

• The retaining clips that connect the airbag and the steering wheel controls to the car are quite fiddly to grasp. You have to pinch both ends of the connector, whilst pulling on it (not the wires). There isn't much room for your fingers.

• The screw holding the steering wheel in on mine was fastened like it was welded on. There is Locktite on the screw. You will need a breaker bar. The Tesla tech that I bought my steering wheel from supplied a replacement screw, and told me they were "one use only". That said every YouTube wheel removal video I've seen just shows them re-using the screw, so *shrug*.

• Regards the airbag - the conventional wisdom is that you should disconnect the 12v supply. I'm not going to tell you not to do that, but I couldn't be bothered as I had seen several videos where they didn't bother. I just completely powered down my car from the screen, and left the drivers door open (opening doors wakes the car up) and left it to go to sleep properly for about 10 minutes. If you can get in the car on the drivers seat without the screen reacting your car is fast asleep. I removed the airbag and steering wheel connectors, and re-attached them, without any reaction from the car at all.

Ok, so I bit the bullet as well and ordered the steering yoke with the following specs:
  • Leather: Nappa Black Leather
  • Side Carbon Finish: None
  • Middle Trim Panel: No Carbon Fiber
  • Style Trapezoid
They expect a 7-15 business day lead time before shipping.
I'm pissed because when I ordered it a few weeks ago they didn't have the option for no side carbon. They made you choose either matte or glossy. They are also 25% off for the time being 😑

Reactions: rrohde
It is definitely straightforward. That said, when I recently fitted my heated steering wheel the car pretty much fought me the whole way.

Some observations from a bit of a DIY noob:
  • In almost all of the steering wheel removal videos I watched on YouTube it showed them popping off the airbag one side at a time (e.g. screwdriver or allen key in one side, then the other). That didn't work for me, no matter what I did it left the bottom of the airbag "stuck". The only way I could remove the airbag on mine was to push on the clip holding it in on both sides at the same time, i.e. with an allen key in each hole.

• The retaining clips that connect the airbag and the steering wheel controls to the car are quite fiddly to grasp. You have to pinch both ends of the connector, whilst pulling on it (not the wires). There isn't much room for your fingers.

• The screw holding the steering wheel in on mine was fastened like it was welded on. There is Locktite on the screw. You will need a breaker bar. The Tesla tech that I bought my steering wheel from supplied a replacement screw, and told me they were "one use only". That said every YouTube wheel removal video I've seen just shows them re-using the screw, so *shrug*.

• Regards the airbag - the conventional wisdom is that you should disconnect the 12v supply. I'm not going to tell you not to do that, but I couldn't be bothered as I had seen several videos where they didn't bother. I just completely powered down my car from the screen, and left the drivers door open (opening doors wakes the car up) and left it to go to sleep properly for about 10 minutes. If you can get in the car on the drivers seat without the screen reacting your car is fast asleep. I removed the airbag and steering wheel connectors, and re-attached them, without any reaction from the car at all.
That's great advice - thank you!

Reactions: Durzel