Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3/Y Yoke Style Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel [hansshow]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since this relic topic was dug up, no better time than now to announce I finally pulled the trigger this past week and bought a yoke. Again, I had one in my Model 3 and loved it. Lets see if it still holds true in my Model YP.

Learned something not too long ago. When the Model 3 was announced way back when, they sent a sketch out of the interior to the reservations first purchasers. Guess what?

It had a yoke drawn in.

7686BCAC-924C-4CB4-9486-EF6DAC6C8239.jpeg

080EC6F2-07F9-413A-A686-01B925CBBFB7.jpeg

I live in a very hot portion of the country and it never gets below freezing, so the heated steering wheel wasn't a concern. I honestly don't even know how to turn it on at this point. 😂
But I saved the few bucks and went without the heat. Again, I thank you for the input on this. Looking forward to installing it in about 10 da

You’re welcome. The photo in your avatar suggests you have a 2021 model, which I believe all come standard with a heated steering wheel. If so and you want the yoke to also be heated, then I suggest asking the seller to build/ship the yoke with the extra wiring harness for the heating function already installed/ready on the yoke. That way, everything will truly be plug-n-play for you when you install it. Of course, if you don’t want or care for a heated yoke, then just order the less expensive non-heated yoke.

The only thing I’m not sure of is, for 2021 Model 3’s with the OEM supplied heated steering, will the vehicle’s computer spit out an error code/message if one installs an aftermarket yoke without the heating element wiring harness plugged into the center/base of the steering column. Someone in this forum posted about his experience with a non-heated yoke on his 2021 vehicle (which had the OEM heated wheel), and don’t recall him ever mentioning anything about getting/seeing an error message from his vehicle.

Good luck with the install and hope you enjoy it asre much as I have/do!!
Welp, here we are 1 month later and the Chinese guy (or company?) on AliExpress hasn't even shipped it yet. He made a DHL shipping label to prevent an automatic refund, but it is still waiting to be shipped.
The joy of buying from AliExpress. #eyeroll Sometimes you gotta suck it up. I only paid $233 on the 11.11 sale, so it's tough to complain.

Welp, here we are 1 month later and the Chinese guy (or company?) on AliExpress hasn't even shipped it yet. He made a DHL shipping label to prevent an automatic refund, but it is still waiting to be shipped.
The joy of buying from AliExpress. #eyeroll Sometimes you gotta suck it up. I only paid $233 on the 11.11 sale, so it's tough to complain.

What was the sellers name?

I got the Hansshow screen, after talking to my local mobile support tech, I didn't want to mess up my warranty, so I sent it back. I also got the Yoke wheel and after having it a week, I am still not sure if I like it or not. It's different so the change is still strange when driving. It was a very easy process, took me about 15 minutes to do the switch.

he8h9q6cRsKESn9r7l3exw.jpg

LsgpQIqCRMilcIBVyRMn3g.jpg

Reactions: JaeTheDev and LBM4
a screen does not void your warranty.
Nothing can void a warranty entirely. What can void a part of a warranty is proving the unit in question created the issue at hand.

Example. If one installs, ties it in to the computer as directed, and that computer blows, chances are they can state this unit had a reasoning for its issue.

I wont install it due to this, but that being stated, chances of an issue are super slim Id assume. My luck though, it would happen to me. I did get hit by a rouge deer while at a stop sign last month. HA!

Reactions: drdumont
Nothing can void a warranty entirely. What can void a part of a warranty is proving the unit in question created the issue at hand.

Example. If one installs, ties it in to the computer as directed, and that computer blows, chances are they can state this unit had a reasoning for its issue.
I wont install it due to this, but that being stated, chances of an issue are super slim Id assume. My luck though, it would happen to me. I did get hit by a rouge deer while at a stop sign last month. HA!
Certainly not trying to change your mind on this subject, but just be aware you are not connecting any new wiring or new electrical controls to the vehicle when you install one of these yokes. I could be wrong, but I think pretty much all these aftermarket yokes use the exact same airbag housing, thumb scrolls/controls & wiring harness that is on the OEM steering wheel. You simply transfer & use the same airbag assembly/thumb scrolls/harness onto the new yoke. Yes, installing the yoke does require that you unplug the OEM wiring harness from the steering column, but you plug that exact same harness back into the base of the steering column when you complete the install of the assembled yoke. So, from the computer’s (and from Tesla’s) perspective, you have not added anything new or different to the computer’s control/operating system.

Edit: Some of these yokes are offered with a heating option. So, if you buy one with the heating option, then technically you will be connecting something “new” back into the base of the steering column because the heated yokes should be supplied with its own wiring harness for the heating function. It’s the same type of wire/connector as the one found on 2021 & 2022 OEM steering wheels. However, technically, you will not be transferring & using the exact same heating element connector that was there before.

Last edited:
Reactions: JaeTheDev
Certainly not trying to change your mind on this subject, but just be aware you are not connecting any new wiring or new electrical controls to the vehicle when you install one of these yokes. I could be wrong, but I think pretty much all these aftermarket yokes use the exact same airbag housing, thumb scrolls/controls & wiring harness that is on the OEM steering wheel. You simply transfer & use the same airbag assembly/thumb scrolls/harness onto the new yoke. Yes, installing the yoke does require that you unplug the OEM wiring harness from the steering column, but you plug that exact same harness back into the base of the steering column when you complete the install of the assembled yoke. So, from the computer’s (and from Tesla’s) perspective, you have not added anything new or different to the computer’s control/operating system.

Edit: Some of these yokes are offered with a heating option. So, if you buy one with the heating option, then technically you will be connecting something “new” back into the base of the steering column because the heated yokes should be supplied with its own wiring harness for the heating function. It’s the same type of wire/connector as the one found on 2021 & 2022 OEM steering wheels. However, technically, you will not be transferring & using the exact same heating element connector that was there before.

Were not referring to the yoke install for the warranty chat. We're referring to the Hansshow center screen. Read above a little clearer.

Adding though, The yoke for sure does not void any of the warranty, and neither does the screen unless Tesla can prove it was the reason a part went south. That how manufacturers warranties work in the U.S.A. at least.

Reactions: GreenHokie
Were not referring to the yoke install for the warranty chat. We're referring to the Hansshow center screen. Read above a little clearer.

Adding though, The yoke for sure does not void any of the warranty, and neither does the screen unless Tesla can prove it was the reason a part went south. That how manufacturers warranties work in the U.S.A. at least.
I installed a yoke and a Hansshow screen about 5 months ago. The screen doesn’
Since this relic topic was dug up, no better time than now to announce I finally pulled the trigger this past week and bought a yoke. Again, I had one in my Model 3 and loved it. Lets see if it still holds true in my Model YP.

Learned something not too long ago. When the Model 3 was announced way back when, they sent a sketch out of the interior to the reservations first purchasers. Guess what?

It had a yoke drawn in.

View attachment 740999

View attachment 741000
i installed a yoke very similar to the one in the drawing and I’m finding this style very easy to use. Tesla should have gone that way in production or at least should have given the option. And yes, it does use the original air bag setup. I also have a Hansshow CarPlay screen that simply plugged in between the existing computer harness plugs, no fiddly insertion of pins like in their earlier models, and the combination yoke and screen works great.

I have a non-heated yolk on my 2018 Model 3 and considering buying a 2022-23 Model 3. Does anyone know if I can transfer this yolk to a new Model 3? FYI - I don’t care about losing the beating function that comes with the new M3’s.
Yeah, I wouldn’t mind losing the “beating” function, either. Re wheels, there are two hubs used by Tesla. Your yoke may or may not work, depending on what hub you have.