Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to see a mid-compact fastback with mild Model S resemblance. 200 mile EPA range for the base battery and 300+ mile optional battery.

Standard:
  • LED headlights (high and low beam)
  • Power Locks
  • Power Windows
  • Power Mirrors
  • 17" touch screen
  • Instrument cluster straight out of the Model S
  • Manual Driver Seat
  • Cloth Interior
  • Heated front seats
  • Frunk
  • Rear Wheel Drive - 221 HP
  • Manual Key Fob (to lock/unlock doors)
  • Non-motorized door handles (still flush and aerodynamic chrome though)
  • Keyless start (like Model S)
  • Non-tinted windows
  • 5 seats
  • Supercharging (pay per charge)
  • Side mirrors

Options:
  • LED DRL
  • Power front seats (with memory)
  • Keyless entry (like Model S)
  • Auto presenting door handles
  • Leather Interior
  • Heated Rear Seats/cold weather package
  • Pano Roof
  • All Wheel Drive
  • Power rear hatch
  • Auto dimming Mirrors
  • Tinted Windows
  • Navigation
  • Interior material choices
  • Free Supercharging for life
  • Sideview Cameras
  • Autopilot with "onramp to offramp" driving

Great list but I would like to add a few things to it:

* LED DRL should be standard now as per NHTSA.
* Fog lights should be standard.
* Tilting side view passenger mirror in reverse standard.
* Driver selectable tilting mirrors in reverse optional.
* 10" subwoofer optional with a premium system.
* Alcantera choice
* Aluminum as a trim choice.

Kind of a combination of everyone's input - from my perspective.

4 door sport sedan style (Like the general Jags stylings). 200 mile range.

STANDARD:
Standard headlights or HID (is there a weight, battery life, or reduced cost reason for LED's? Otherwise, don't see the need at this pricepoint)
LED taillamps
Fog lights
2 different 17" wheel choices
Power locks, doors, mirrors, driver seat
15" touchscreen
Digital dash
Cloth interior
Frunk
Rear wheel drive
Keyless remote and start
5 Seat

OPTIONAL:
To be fitted into various tech and convenience and safety packages
Higher range battery (whatever it may be at the time)
LED DRL's
HID headlights if using standard headlights for the standard feature
2, maybe 3, 19" wheel choices
Power front seats (both) with driver side memory
Leather seating
Interior trim choices
Sunroof
App access to monitor charging, warm car in cold climates, etc.
Power retractable handles
Tilting side mirrors in reverse

Am I the only person who HATES LEDs for headlights? They blind oncoming traffic without actually illuminating much past 20 feet... I've been testing various LEDs for my company (non-automotive use) for years, and the throw is still too short for my purposes. Are LEDs used in headlights somehow magically different, or is everyone just wanting the eco-aspect?

Please tell me what I'm missing here.

Happy Thursday!
Apparent Ignoramus

I'm assuming a single body style initially and a similar standard feature set to Audi/BMW etc.
But remember that standard BMW/Audi cars are very light on tech etc, so there are always lots of options.
It will be interesting to see what is standard and what is optional. Maybe the current optional tech package is an indicator?

nice wish lists. you'll love the price tag though... and it's not likely going to be in the 30, 40, but likely high 50 to low 60K's. all option in, you're probably going to end up at around mid to high 70K's to justify their model segments and pricing... unless Model 3 is highly stripped down to a golf cart, which i highly doubt.

Options:
  • Autopilot with "onramp to offramp" driving
I'd like to see Elon "think big" and "long game" by making this standard equipment. When they get to commercials, lines like this are pretty compelling as well:

At Tesla, human safety is a top priority. The autopilot umbrella of features is part of the suite of safety features that all modern cars should have. It is standard equipment on all of our current offerings.

300 mile , if not 350 mile range upgrade and a decent priced subwoofer. Saying that, I'd rather have them upgrade their supercharging speed so we can go 20min from 10 to 90%... Imho all the fancy stuff in Tesla's cars isn't that impressive (the massive screen probably actually saves tesla some money as they don't need to produce any physical buttons...) and it's more about the supercharging technology and infrastructure which other manufacturers simply don't have.

300 mile , if not 350 mile range upgrade and a decent priced subwoofer. Saying that, I'd rather have them upgrade their supercharging speed so we can go 20min from 10 to 90%... Imho all the fancy stuff in Tesla's cars isn't that impressive (the massive screen probably actually saves tesla some money as they don't need to produce any physical buttons...) and it's more about the supercharging technology and infrastructure which other manufacturers simply don't have.
Indeed - it isn't the screen size or other features that ring my bell.
Its the "no dealer" experience, over the air updates, continually improving vehicle and superchargers that make the real differences

I'd actually be supportive of making supercharging an option rather than a standard feature, much as it is with the S60. For my family the Model 3 would be a second Tesla and it's unlikely we'd use it for road trips instead of the S, so I'd likely look to save some money on that.

Clearly many people would need supercharging enabled, and pricing and bundling is a mysterious art, so who knows how they'll do it.

I'd actually be supportive of making supercharging an option rather than a standard feature, much as it is with the S60. For my family the Model 3 would be a second Tesla and it's unlikely we'd use it for road trips instead of the S, so I'd likely look to save some money on that.

Clearly many people would need supercharging enabled, and pricing and bundling is a mysterious art, so who knows how they'll do it.

I am sure that an option is more likely but I would rather see it standard and the price go up $1-2K.

I'd prefer to see supercharging optional on the mass market car (possibly included on the higher end versions), if only to minimize contention at stations by discouraging unnecessary "casual" supercharging (ie, "I'll just charge at the supercharger 5 minutes from home, since it's free")

nice wish lists. you'll love the price tag though... and it's not likely going to be in the 30, 40, but likely high 50 to low 60K's. all option in, you're probably going to end up at around mid to high 70K's to justify their model segments and pricing... unless Model 3 is highly stripped down to a golf cart, which i highly doubt.
You predict the base model to be almost $60k? So much for mass market (unless gas hits $10 per G).

I'm fine with supercharging optional if it gets the base price lower to the target (so more people can afford the car), but DC charging (via adapter or otherwise) should be standard. This is the case for EVs coming out now (low volume compliance cars excepted), and the Model 3 would not be competitive if DC charging was not standard.

What I want and what it will be are two different things. I want a small Model S but it will be much more like a Leaf, with Tesla design and batteries. I say that because to take a current Leaf and give it Tesla engineering, batteriy, and style, the cost is at least at $35k. I will be pleased with that. The top level Leaf has leather!

Supercharging has always been optional on the Model S (the base 60 does not include it) so it will likely be optional on the Model 3 as well.
I think stopcrazypp had a good point though, which is it would be a very good thing to unbundle DC charging support (including ChaDeMo and CSS) from Supercharging. Make the latter added-cost, sure. The ability to DC charge ought to be base, though. It's not surprising they didn't do this for the S60 since the DC charging "standards" didn't exist when it came out, but there's no need to perpetuate it.

I'm fine with supercharging optional if it gets the base price lower to the target (so more people can afford the car), but DC charging (via adapter or otherwise) should be standard. This is the case for EVs coming out now (low volume compliance cars excepted), and the Model 3 would not be competitive if DC charging was not standard.
Right. The "free" SC can be optional - but should be priced at $2k or so - as with the 60kWh model.

When the 40kWh was announced SC/DC wasn't an available option making it crippled (otherwise I may have bought it).