Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3p ground clearance question

robl45

Dec 23, 2019
Does anyone know standard ground clearance of model 3p? I'm at just Under 3.5 inches now with what I assume are unplugged performance lowest springs. Bought car like this and it has unplugged performance front lip so I assume it has those springs as well. Car looks great but it's such a pain being so low I've been thinking of maybe raising it but curious how high the lowered 3p are from the factory. I can handle going slow over speed bumps, it really seems to bottom of at all on the two metal bars hanging below the fabric behind the front bumper but I am kinda worried if I have to drive over gravel roads etc.

Dangerous Fish

Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2016
UK
What part of the car is less than 3.5 inches from the ground on your car? That's way too low even with lowering springs.

dsgerbc

Jun 4, 2019
Michigan
From the bottom of what?
Here's where you measure.
Front should be 139mm +/-3mm
Rear should be 146mm +/-3mm

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-18 Tesla MODEL 3 SERVICE MANUAL FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT (CHECK AND ADJUST).png
    Screenshot_2020-07-18 Tesla MODEL 3 SERVICE MANUAL FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT (CHECK AND ADJUST).png
    177.2 KB · Views: 46

robl45

Dec 23, 2019
I measured essentially from that spot. The Jack points stick down slightly so probably slightly less if measured off of there.

robl45

Dec 23, 2019
The lip isn't the issue. The whole car is slightly less than 3.5 inches of the ground. If that's relatively normal for a performance than fine. Otherwise I'm getting nervous it's going to get destroyed

dsgerbc

Jun 4, 2019
Michigan
Sounds like you're lowered by ~2", which is probably too much. What size tires are on the car? This measure is sensitive to tire pressures and tire sizes. The most reliable way to measure lowering is from the fender down to the center of the wheel hub.

aspec818

Nov 15, 2018
Bay Area
1.5" is the max for street driving IMO. even then you will bottom out on bigger uneven dips in streets, driveways, etc. the 3 is already a low car from factory. The design with the huge wheel gap makes it appear high up. you're probably dropped closer to 2".

robl45

Dec 23, 2019
Yep it says low is about 2 inch drop. So assuming that's 2 inches from model 3 performance ground clearance, is it worth the aggravation and money to raise it a bit

aspec818

Nov 15, 2018
Bay Area
Yep it says low is about 2 inch drop. So assuming that's 2 inches from model 3 performance ground clearance, is it worth the aggravation and money to raise it a bit
Yes. Unless you want to bottom out every drive. And your ride must be horrible with that low of a drop on stock shocks.

Dangerous Fish

Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2016
UK
Sounds like you're lowered by ~2", which is probably too much. What size tires are on the car? This measure is sensitive to tire pressures and tire sizes. The most reliable way to measure lowering is from the fender down to the center of the wheel hub.
Do this and let us know that figure so you can compare like with like. The stock ride height is around 395-400mm measured that way.

MasterC17

Dec 3, 2015
USA
Both of my cars are about 4-4.25" in the front (measured from jack point to ground) and 3.5-3.75" in the rear.

Measuring from wheel hub to fender, that translates to roughly 14".

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC