Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3P Performance Upgrade spoiler install process?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
Anyone know what the process is for getting the spoiler installed? Does after delivery mean it can be installed right after signing papers? Or is this a part that might take a few weeks for the service center to receive? I asked my delivery advisor but she didn’t know and the local service center isn’t answering right now. Just wanted to know so I can make plans for wrapping the car.

Reactions: MXWing
Speaking of the spoiler. Does anyone have any experience with having the spoiler put on AFTER PPF. Or other appliqués such as the “T”s and such that PPF installers remove and re-apply over the PPF? My question is how easy is it to remove those again if you want a future change.....i.e. does it ‘damage’ the PPF upon removal where you’d need the PPF reinstalled or repaired or does it come off without damage to the wrap?
I’ve seen techniques using the dental floss or fishing line technique to remove them and wondering what the underlying PPF would look like from the glue.

Ski

Not sure what I’m going to do about that. Thinking of telling my service center to not install the spoiler or rear dual motor badging so my PPF Guy can install the spoiler after the film. The badge will go into the junk drawer.

Not sure what I’m going to do about that. Thinking of telling my service center to not install the spoiler or rear dual motor badging so my PPF Guy can install the spoiler after the film. The badge will go into the junk drawer.
I don't think I will do PPF on the trunk lid, but will probably do ceramic (or similar) coating. Not sure if it's better to have the spoiler on or off. Guess I'll check with whomever I pick to do it. I suppose if they are doing paint correction, it's better with spoiler off at first.

Right there with you on the badge. I wish they were doing the Franz-style T E S L A on the back instead. Much cooler. (I know there are some 3rd party options, but I think they are plastic and don't seem to be trimmed all that well.)

I don't think I will do PPF on the trunk lid, but will probably do ceramic (or similar) coating. Not sure if it's better to have the spoiler on or off. Guess I'll check with whomever I pick to do it. I suppose if they are doing paint correction, it's better with spoiler off at first.

Right there with you on the badge. I wish they were doing the Franz-style T E S L A on the back instead. Much cooler. (I know there are some 3rd party options, but I think they are plastic and don't seem to be trimmed all that well.)

I suggest you install the spoiler first and then apply the ceramic coat. The 3M adhesive needs to stick to a more durable finish. Clear coat has a stronger bond than ceramic. I hand wash my vehicles and still have to reapply ceramic coat every 15 months to keep them protected.

Reactions: Crispix
I suggest you install the spoiler first and then apply the ceramic coat. The 3M adhesive needs to stick to a more durable finish. Clear coat has a stronger bond than ceramic. I hand wash my vehicles and still have to reapply ceramic coat every 15 months to keep them protected.
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm thinking paint correction, then spoiler install, then PPF, then ceramic coat. However, there may be little benefit to doing spoiler second, since I probably will never take it off.