TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3P Performance Upgrade spoiler install process?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by commasign, Jul 23, 2018.

1. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Anyone know what the process is for getting the spoiler installed? Does after delivery mean it can be installed right after signing papers? Or is this a part that might take a few weeks for the service center to receive? I asked my delivery advisor but she didn’t know and the local service center isn’t answering right now. Just wanted to know so I can make plans for wrapping the car.

• Like x 1
  2. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

It'll come with the car. Likely in the trunk. They'll clean off the trunk area and stick it on. It uses 3M tape.

• Like x 1
  3. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Awesome. Wonder why they don’t put it on before delivery.

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

A couple things I can think of is to prevent damage during transport and that it is easier to prep/detail the car without it on.

5. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

True. Though Model S P cars come with the spoiler on (at least in the past; not sure if that’s still true).

6. Skione65

Skione65 Member

Speaking of the spoiler. Does anyone have any experience with having the spoiler put on AFTER PPF. Or other appliqués such as the “T”s and such that PPF installers remove and re-apply over the PPF? My question is how easy is it to remove those again if you want a future change.....i.e. does it ‘damage’ the PPF upon removal where you’d need the PPF reinstalled or repaired or does it come off without damage to the wrap?
    I’ve seen techniques using the dental floss or fishing line technique to remove them and wondering what the underlying PPF would look like from the glue.

Ski

7. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Not sure what I’m going to do about that. Thinking of telling my service center to not install the spoiler or rear dual motor badging so my PPF Guy can install the spoiler after the film. The badge will go into the junk drawer.

8. favo

favo P3D+ owner

I don't think I will do PPF on the trunk lid, but will probably do ceramic (or similar) coating. Not sure if it's better to have the spoiler on or off. Guess I'll check with whomever I pick to do it. I suppose if they are doing paint correction, it's better with spoiler off at first.

Right there with you on the badge. I wish they were doing the Franz-style T E S L A on the back instead. Much cooler. (I know there are some 3rd party options, but I think they are plastic and don't seem to be trimmed all that well.)

• Like x 2
  9. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Any updates from folks that have taken delivery the last few days?

10. Osilva

Osilva Member

I suggest you install the spoiler first and then apply the ceramic coat. The 3M adhesive needs to stick to a more durable finish. Clear coat has a stronger bond than ceramic. I hand wash my vehicles and still have to reapply ceramic coat every 15 months to keep them protected.

• Like x 1
  11. favo

favo P3D+ owner

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm thinking paint correction, then spoiler install, then PPF, then ceramic coat. However, there may be little benefit to doing spoiler second, since I probably will never take it off.

12. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Can anyone who took delivery confirm that the spoiler is available at time of delivery? Or it's a part that will arrive at the service center later?

13. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Just took delivery. Performance pedals were pre-installed. No spoiler or badge. No ETA on when those will be available.

• Informative x 2
  14. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I'm willing to take any badges people are planning on throwing away...

• Funny x 1
  15. CrazyCoconut

CrazyCoconut Member

Weird that pedals were pre-installed but spoiler and badge are not...

16. 1dirtypanda

1dirtypanda Member

My detailer I was planning on taking my car to said get the spoiler put on first and then he'll do the ppf. He didn't say why. why.Wouldnt that make putting the ppf on more difficult?

17. outie

outie Active Member

Slightly more work yes, but not by much if you compare to other parts of the car. I'd guess the spoiler sticks to clear coat better than on ppf.

18. grommet

grommet Member

The web site is now updated to reflect the aluminum pedals are no longer post-delivery. They still don't have the spoilers ready. (Or the badges.) So, Performance owners may be spoiler-free for a bit longer...

• Informative x 1
  19. CMcConnell

CMcConnell Member

My detailer is doing full PPF + ceramic. He insisted on leaving the rear lid naked until the spoiler and badge arrive.

20. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

The spoiler attaches by adhesive tape. It won’t attach to PPF?

If you don’t PPF the rear lid, you are going to wrap the edges around the spoiler?