Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's Reluctance Motor to appear in the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From reading about the physics of the 2 different types of motors, the reluctance motors are power limited, the induction motors are not.
Sorry, it was when they announced model 3 has reluctance motors I read that so my source is long gone.

Model 3 dual motors have inductance motor in front - so not two reluctance - my guess is max power is more limited in reluctance design - but it is more efficient, less weight, lower cost, less moving parts so probably more reliable, no/or less rare earth magnet - the complexity is in the control electronics and software.

I believe one of the factors in making the front second motor in the AWD 3's an induction type is that it can be easily put to "torque sleep" in cruise conditions for efficiency purposes.

An SWPRM motor like in the rear of the 3 tends to not freewheel smoothly, but rather will "cog". There's some tricky waveform shaping in the pwer electronics that smooth this out under power... but that means if both motors were SWPRM neither could ever sleep.

So if the S and X remain AWD, why wouldn't they put the induction motor in the back (for power) and the SWPRM motor in the front (for efficiency) in those models? I understand that for simplicity in manufacturing the 3 will likely always have it the other way around.