Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's Ride Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And you will have two young children growing up in that polluted environment if people continue to drive ICE. Life is always about compromises and setting priorities. Good luck with your decisions.
Oh I've made my decision, it's just getting my wife on board with the value of going EV versus the perceived safety and utility benefits of larger ICE cars. Her moms group friends' love of their SUVs and minivans doesn't help. Sucks that we can't afford a Model X yet.

Oh I've made my decision, it's just getting my wife on board with the value of going EV versus the perceived safety and utility benefits of larger ICE cars. Her moms group friends' love of their SUVs and minivans doesn't help. Sucks that we can't afford a Model X yet.

Instead of the 3, have you considered a nice CPO S with the air suspension? If you are going for a fully-equipped 3, a well-equipped CPO S with a reasonable number of miles on it may still be in the ballpark, budget-wise. The S has more room for a family of 4 and the air suspension would take away the ride comfort concern.

Instead of the 3, have you considered a nice CPO S with the air suspension? If you are going for a fully-equipped 3, a well-equipped CPO S with a reasonable number of miles on it may still be in the ballpark, budget-wise. The S has more room for a family of 4 and the air suspension would take away the ride comfort concern.

I second this. The S has huge cargo space and a big interior.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Hey all,

I picked up my Model 3 on Jan 2nd and am disappointed to find that I really do not like the ride. The suspension is very stiff and seems to magnify every bump in the road. Any significant seam in the concrete will leave me bouncing in my seat. On anything but a perfect road, I find it impossible to rest my head against the headrest or I'm constantly being jarred by it. Also, the steering wheel will vibrate considerably at highway speeds.

I have owned a Model S in the past and currently also own a Model X and this wasn't a problem for either of them.

I took it into the dealership and they seemed unable to say whether this was intended behavior. They reduced the tire pressure a bit but it hasn't helped to any great degree. The technician also suggested it needed to be "broken in" (something about the bushings) which wasn't very convincing.

Have other Model 3 owners noticed this? I understand suspension is a bit of personal preference but this seems at the really extreme end for a car aimed at a more mass market and autonomy.

Thanks,
Bob

As a point of reference I felt the same way when I picked up my Model S with active air suspension I thought then and still think the ride is hard.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Off topic, but calling the Tesla store a "dealership" is like nails on a chalkboard. One of the advantages of buying a Tesla is you avoid the auto dealer cartel.
Good luck changing people on that. Similarly, I find the use of "rims" when they mean "wheels" quite annoying. Wheel is the whole thing; rim is just the part of the wheel that holds the tire bead on.

And you will have two young children growing up in that polluted environment if people continue to drive ICE. Life is always about compromises and setting priorities. Good luck with your decisions.

Were you around when you could not see 100 feet in the summer in a big city?

Anyhow, some ICE vehicles have lower emissions than a Model 3 in Pennsylvania.

Electromotive drive is a better propulsion system than internal combustion. That does NOT mean it's greener. Not in California, not in most states.

Why? The upper middle class commutes more miles a year to work than any other demographic.

I live 2 miles from work, and we make far more electricity than our cars use by a huge factor.

I do what I think is right, and do not feel compelled to force others to do the same.

One way to narrow down the potential "fixes" (tuning) is to simply load the frunk and trunk with a few hundred pounds of sand bags (or cement bags) from home depot. If it's the "pickup syndrome" that @McRat mentioned, you would notice increasing compliance with additional load....

PS - If you go this route, I would recommend putting the bags in fresh trash bags to keep your car clean!

Won't be very good for energy consumption. Somewhat ironic suggestion given how Tesla worked so hard to save a pound or two here and there in the car design....

• Helpful
Won't be very good for energy consumption. Somewhat ironic suggestion given how Tesla worked so hard to save a pound or two here and there in the car design....
There were a few comments about the negatives of my suggestion that indicates that it wasn't understood properly.... I am not suggesting that the adding a few hundred pounds be permanently left in the car, that's crazy. I merely suggested a quick way to evaluate if that was the problem. If it helps/fixes the problem, then you know that reducing the spring constant is a possibility. We don't know if the model 3 springs are constant or variable. If you identify a need, either Tesla offers it or 3rd parties will fill the void. On a sales base of 500K of decently deep pocketed customers, that is a good shot at decent volume of attractive demographics....

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and David29
People are never satisfied. They want to be driving on a cloud, but when the situation demands it, they want the car to react like a Formula 1 car. You can't have it both ways. You either get great handling, or you get a comfy mushy ride. There is no in between.

Personally I was worried it was going to feel like a yacht (model S). Thankfully the reviews came back positive for being sporty. Seeing the car sit from a variety of angles, I hope suspension mods will come to the rescue. I'm use to driving really sporty vehicles. I want to be able to feel the road and understand what type of surface I'm dealing with. Not to mention in its stock form, it sits a bit too high. I'm pretty sure sway bars and springs will make it out soon enough for this version of the Model 3. :)

It's listed as 5.5" ground clearance at Model 3

2005 Prius is 4.9" (2009 Prius went up to 5.6")
2012 Leaf is 6.3"

You can surely lower it as much as you want but even at 4.x" I scrape some speed bumps. Anyone wanting it to sit lower might want to wait for the AWD version with SAS so you can lower it and raise it on demand.

I spent a day with a 3 and while I definitely found the ride to be on the firmer side, I didn't think it was overly firm. It was about the equivalent of selecting the sports suspension on a BMW.

I can see how it might not be everyone's cup of tea but as far as being overly harsh, I'm not sure that's fair criticism. It's definitely a sportier car than the S and let's be honest... when you buy a car sight unseen you have to have some understanding that maybe every aspect of the car might not be exactly as you would have chosen it.

Likewise, in an effort to streamline production Tesla has to eliminate options and pick what they think the most people are going to like. Perhaps down the road we get a suspension option.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Sporty/Stiff suspension != Bad ride quality
It is all personal preference and I definitely like this sporty suspension better than the MS. Cannot compare to the Model X as it is a "SUV". The ride of this M3 reminds me of an E46 M3. And comparing to my 911 TT-S on Sports mode, this is like riding on clouds. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: favo and DR61
Cannot agree more. I actually just priced a BMW 340i with similar but inferior tech options (no AP for BMW) and it came out to be around $55000. Even without the government incentive, I can see myself picking the Model 3 over the BMW and with the tax incentive and state rebate, I cannot see how anyone would pick a 340i over a Tesla.

Disclaimer: I owned a few BMWs before and is still a big fan of the E46 M3

All I know is that they hit it out of the park with the model 3. Everyone will be driving one in 5 years. What a car! Autopilot to the masses for less than 50k... game over for a very long time for BMW 3, Lexus, you name it.... it's going to get ugly for them over the next 5 years.

Your getting an (SUV) RDX; case closed.

You can hope that the rumored BUICK SUV (based on BOLT architecture?) to be announced this year might work.

Worst case the Mitshubishi Outlander PHEV might be a compromise.