Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's Ride Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure the differences are more about personal taste and past experience than different M3 builds.

Agree. I test drove a model 3 and thought the ride was very firm, versus the owner describes it as pillow soft. I'm comparing it two different SUVs, so that's a bit of an unfair comparison, but it is what me and my family are used to. Even my previous car was easier on the bumps. I'm still planning on taking delivery of a model 3.

Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post in this thread, but how would you compare the M3 to a BMW 3 Series. I have a 328 non-sport and it does feel firm at times (esp compared to my wife's Mercedes GLC)

I think 328 non sport is pretty soft... I would hope that model 3 has like a M-sport suspension. GLC is SUPER SOFT. I test drove the GLC 43 AMG last year and even on sport mode it was way too soft and bouncy for me (much softer than my Model S on springs). But pretty much all SUVs are soft (except maybe the Porsche ones) so that's not really saying much.

Based on previous comments it sounds like the Model 3 is firmer than non sport 328.

Edmunds has a Model 3 for a long term test now. Here is their first video review (very complimentary overall). However...at 4 minutes and 20 seconds or so he states about the chassis:

"...it really feels sorted. Where it falls down, for me, is the ride on roads that aren't really smooth. Something about the dampening is just a little off and it feels busy."

Honestly, almost every material review I've read notes the firm ride. Heck, in this month's Motor Trend the Model 3 was a finalist and they have this comment: "The Model 3's punchy torque and laserlike handling impressed every judge who buckled in - though at the price of decidedly firm ride quality." Conversely, the comments for car that won their car of the year (the Alfa Romeo Giulia) were "It handles absolutely beautifully, with light linear sports-car-like steering." and "It rides like a luxury car with no impact harshness in the cabin, and it's downright quick."...proving you can still have your cake and eat it too.

My experience with cars that get this ride/handling balance a bit wrong is that it gets OLD over time. BMW, historically, used to nail this (indeed it was THE thing that made me love those cars), but even they have struggled in recent years (the whole first generation of run-flat cars were a good example).

This is the vibe that I've gotten.

It's not just that the Model 3's ride is sporty-car tight. Yes, one does feel the road more in a 3 than an S. But, that is to be expected. It's like the "Peak 3-Series" E46 generation of BMWs. Perhaps even a tad less sharp than those.

It's that the ride feels "jiggly." There IS something off in the damping. Sort of like a mountain bike when you haven't set the "rebound rate" just right. A vaguely out-of-phase, unhappy harmonics feeling.

Can anyone capture and convey this feeling more clearly than I've struggled to do?

It's not just that the Model 3's ride is sporty-car tight. Yes, one does feel the road more in a 3 than an S. But, that is to be expected. It's like the "Peak 3-Series" E46 generation of BMWs. Perhaps even a tad less sharp than those.

It's that the ride feels "jiggly." There IS something off in the damping. Sort of like a mountain bike when you haven't set the "rebound rate" just right. A vaguely out-of-phase, unhappy harmonics feeling.

Can anyone capture and convey this feeling more clearly than I've struggled to do?
I've used the same term 'jiggliness' to describe the harsh ride on my S. It's an unpleasant constantly jiggling ride. I did not feel the same problem on the variety of loaners I drove, so I think it was specific to my car. I've always wondered if there is some quality issue on the dampers or maybe they are installed improperly or worse. For this reason, I want to eventually test drive an inventory 3 whenever they finally have them and if I like the ride, then buy that specific car.

Not being a sports car driver or any type of professional driver (well, I drove a semi for a while) all these opinions on the Model 3 suspension seem overdrawn. It drives like a regular sized, heavy, normal car. I have never felt my car (2 week old 3) is jiggly, or like a mountain bike, or out of phase. I suspect some could say these things about many cars.

My S has a softer ride. I live in the mountains, drive curvy roads (15 mph here and there) and have never had trouble doing 15 mph over suggested. Holds well in rain (sorry, CA doesn't have much snow here), passes most cars going uphill easily at the passing lane.

I also have no idea what an E46 BMW drives like. Back 60 years ago, BMW and Porsche were not all that special. If BMW, MB, Porsche are all that great, why are they not only selling electrics? I know I pass BMWs and Porsches going up our hill. And we see more and more Teslas every time we go to town.

I felt mine had a really rough ride (vin 19xx) and contacted the service center.

They confirmed it was rougher than expected (especially <25mph) and replaced the suspension dampers. After the replacement the ride on my 3 feels as smooth as my Model S did.

In the service summary it said that my vehicle had one of the earlier parts that gave a more sporty suspension than the current dampers that are being used. The repair was marked a goodwill item. If you have an earlier VIN as well then take it in. Technically they didn't have to do anything about my car, but they did. This is why I love this company and have no issues buying early VINs from them.

I felt mine had a really rough ride (vin 19xx) and contacted the service center.

They confirmed it was rougher than expected (especially <25mph) and replaced the suspension dampers. After the replacement the ride on my 3 feels as smooth as my Model S did.

In the service summary it said that my vehicle had one of the earlier parts that gave a more sporty suspension than the current dampers that are being used. The repair was marked a goodwill item. If you have an earlier VIN as well then take it in. Technically they didn't have to do anything about my car, but they did. This is why I love this company and have no issues buying early VINs from them.

Interesting. Palo Alto service center?

Mine's 1913 so, probably built the same day/hour as yours.

With about 800 miles on it and with probably some air out of the tires (haven't looked at the TPMS readings), the ride seems to have gotten a bit better. Need to drive a bit more this weekend.

You make an important distinction. Sporty does not mean firm. Sporty means capable and competent in spirited driving. Even more, a sporty car is not just capable, but inspires confidence in the driver. A well made sporty car can do it without punishing the driver during their morning commute each day.

A sporty car does not have to be harsh, jarring or "jiggly."

I'm sure Tesla will learn and adapt. In the meantime Model 3 buyers are getting a gen 1 car. Its going to have a lot of room for improvement.

Reactions: geometro
Interesting. Palo Alto service center?

Mine's 1913 so, probably built the same day/hour as yours.

With about 800 miles on it and with probably some air out of the tires (haven't looked at the TPMS readings), the ride seems to have gotten a bit better. Need to drive a bit more this weekend.

Yes, Palo Alto. I noticed after the service they also lowered the tire pressure to 42 (from 45).

Yes, Palo Alto. I noticed after the service they also lowered the tire pressure to 42 (from 45).
I also lowered my tire pressure to 42. I think it helps.

Interesting about them changing out your suspension dampeners. I wonder if they’ll do the same for my car, VIN #313x. Can you ask your service advisor what Up until what VIN it applies to?

Motor Trend tested the noise levels and has the Model 3 (74.2db) as almost 2 decibels louder than the Leaf (72.5db). 2 decibels is quite a bit louder.

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/si...nterpolation=lanczos-none&fit=around|660:1496

This could be an issue for me...

Noise at highway speed is one of the most important factors for me. My last 2 cars (BMW 3 Series and MB C Class) have both been exceptionally quiet on the highway (decibels in the upper 60's on most car magazine measurements but these numbers are apple-to-apples). Do any of you current Model 3 owners have prior ownership of late-model BMW/Mercedes have any opinions on highway noise compared to other compact luxury cars?

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Motor Trend tested the noise levels and has the Model 3 (74.2db) as almost 2 decibels louder than the Leaf (72.5db). 2 decibels is quite a bit louder.

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/si...nterpolation=lanczos-none&fit=around|660:1496

This could be an issue for me...

Noise at highway speed is one of the most important factors for me. My last 2 cars (BMW 3 Series and MB C Class) have both been exceptionally quiet on the highway (decibels in the upper 60's on most car magazine measurements but these numbers are apple-to-apples). Do any of you current Model 3 owners have prior ownership of late-model BMW/Mercedes have any opinions on highway noise compared to other compact luxury cars?

Couple comments :
  • The MT comparison was between 3 EVs. EVs are, generally, much quieter than ICE vehicles. Although the Model 3 might be 2 dB higher, it is still likely significantly quieter than most ICEs. Therefore I'd make sure that the dB values are truly apples to apples (ie "A" weighting, etc)
  • The test was conducted with the firmer sport tires. If noise is the most important attribute then consider the standard wheels
  • The noise at highway speeds comes primarily from 2 sources, aerodynamic and tire noise. The Model 3 is one of the most aerodynamic vehicles ever produced, so Tesla has you covered there.... For tire noise, maybe a tire that trades performance for quietness is a consideration for your needs. Tesla likely chose more performance oriented rubber than Nissan or GM did for obvious reasons
  • Choosing a vehicle is usually riddled with compromise. Ie, While I wish the Model 3 was far quieter than the Bolt or Leaf, I definitely prefer the Model 3's acceleration
Good luck