Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's ship with older chip in China, US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Hopefully Tesla has/is not doing this in the United States. Curious comment about cars not ordered with FSD not getting current chips.

Why not?

The order would clearly list what they got. If they don't order FSD, the order would not list "Full Self Driving".

What counts is what the receipt says, not consumers' assumption.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I’m sure Tesla doesn’t want to do this but it’s what’s gotta be done with the current supply chain issues. Would you rather get your car now with the HW2.5 computer or wait several weeks more to take delivery because there wasn’t enough HW3 computers for all the cars coming off the assembly line? I know which option I would pick.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
Reactions: Knightshade
The FSD/HW 3 chip is fabricated in the US and must be imported to China. That is the "China" problem, exacerbated by COVID-19 and won't effect Fremont.
The chips are made in a FAB in the US but then has to be shipped to China to produce the actual FSD computer, and then import back into the US to be put into cars. So if it's a shortage problem in China we can't rule out problem here down the road, having said that most exporting factories in China are back online now so I hope Tesla has enough inventory to dampen the impact and consumers won't notice a thing.
From the pictures we can see the HW2.5 computer was made in August and HW3.0 one was made in November.
202003031615136729.jpg
ca4f1aaf2a966f246950df07845f932d.jpeg-w852wm0.jpg