Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's Sound System--How good is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then it would kill my phones data usage, I only have a 2GB per month plan and usually don't even use that much.
Does the Model 3 have an AUX input anywhere? Someone mentioned using a USB stick, is there a way for a Sirius received to plug into the car and play over its speakers?

Plus, I shouldn't have to use the phone to listen to the radio in the car.
You can also buy the bluetooth converter below and use a portable siriusxm receiver. It will sound better than using the horrible FM units.

Stereo Bluetooth Transmitter for SiriusXM Radios

• Informative
Reactions: SpiceWare
I had my Model 3 audio system upgraded recently by Reus (the first 3 for them), and posted about it here:

Reus audio upgrade for Model 3

It sounds pretty awesome....They put in a single 10" subwoofer in a customer enclosure in the trunk, hid the amp to the right where the smaller Tesla subwoofer is installed, installed a tweeter on the back of the rear view mirror, and replaced the drivers above the doors...It sounds terrific...They do good work there...

View attachment 274731
What the heck? Tweeter on the back of the mirror? Tweeters should be on left and right sides for stereo music. You only want a front center channel for watching surround sound movies. The sub looks good though, I was wondering how hard it would be to add a 10" woofer and amp. I'm more of a DIY guy though when it comes to putting in stereos. But if I could just get that enclosure that would be sweet.

For everyone saying they don't like too much bass, a correctly setup stereo will be crossed over so that the sub only fires hard when it should. If music isn't bassy it won't sound boomy just because you have a large subwoofer.

The 3 imho is lacking a bit of bass, it just drops off around 50-60Hz. The default tuning is a bit bass heavy but I've got a playlist specifically for testing subwoofers and I put the 3 through its paces with that.

It does sound very good however.

So I agree with Reus putting in a 10" sub, it is high on my list of enhancements too.

And regarding a tweeter on back of the mirror... that would even out the soundstage a bit, so it isn't so left/right but would include some center as well. I imagine that it sounds more 'surround'.

Last edited:
Reactions: suwaneedad
So there is an existing (but smaller) sub in the back and so you already have sub signal going back there?
Any pictures of the existing sub?
I don't think there is an existing sub. I suspect the low frequencies are mainly handled by the door speakers, which explains the low freq drop off imho.
I could be wrong too. Could be that the existing sub is similar in placement to the Model S and mine just isn't working. :(

It can't be very large. Maybe it is 8" like the S and I'm just expecting too much from the 3's sound system since it sounds so good otherwise.

My home system has a very musical 12" sub and I've become accustomed to that sound.

Or maybe mine just isn't working. How to test.... hmmm... maybe use Pink Floyd's "Time" as a reference song, Electoman? ;)

Well, I've found that it doesn't want to play any .m4a songs (IE: Apple format) but will play FLAC and MP3.

... And I've got a system that sounds like it has a sub now. I don't know if it was me poking around to try to find a way to see the sub or my having to reboot the center screen to get the music app to stop hanging, but there it is.

After another re-adjustment of the EQ (waaay too much sub with previous EQ tweaks) I'm hearing something with a default mild "U-shaped" sound signature and it needs some mid-range boosting but not much.

I'll agree with blurry now. Sounds nice. :)

Somebody beat me to the REW sweep:

The drop off at the upper end is a little too much and there is too much energy at around 125hz, BUT that actually looks pretty good for a stock audio system frequency response, explains why it sounds pretty good with everything set to default. Need to see that sweep with 1/3 octave smoothing to really see the response without all the "noise" cluttering up my eyeballs.

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to audio systems so I'm not really into the weird "ambient" tweeters at the top of the A pillar.....but I cant argue with how it sounds (good).

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to audio systems.
Don't listen to audio in a car then :D . Not even a room.

Back to serious...good input, thanks.

All in all I think they did a good job for a mass-produced product. As mentioned previously, I think the bottom end was bumped up to overcome road/wind noise at speed, otherwise the response is not far off the "house curve" response most people seem to prefer (me not included...I prefer flat response from 20Hz up to where my hearing ends nowadays in middle age :rolleyes: ).

I'm picky about sound quality, so the sound system my 2011 LEAF was a trade off for getting an all-electric car when I did. When it first came out, a few of us LEAF owners were lamenting about the sound quality when one person said "It sounds pretty good." Ummm.... no, it really doesn't, just... NO! :eek:

Now that I've heard the M3 sound system (both parked and driving), comparing it to my LEAF's sound system is kinda ridiculous. It'll be a huge upgrade for me (not just sound-wise of course). I know that I'll be so very happy with it -- just as it comes from the factory. I can't wait!!! :D