TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3's To Test Drive Before We Buy?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Mark C, May 11, 2016.

1. Mark C

Mark C Member

I'm waiting as {im}patiently as most of the rest of the Forum members who have a reservation for my Model 3. Does anyone think that Tesla will put out a few early 3's, perhaps scattered across the country, for reservation holders and maybe even the curious non-reservation holders so we could drive one?

I know Tesla allowed reservation holders to drive the Roadster before it was actually able to be purchased, but I confess I didn't follow the S / X closely enough to know if these reservation holders were allowed to drive one before finishing the purchase transaction.

2. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

When I test drove a Model S last month, I asked about this.

I was told that it will probably depend where in the reservation queue you are. If you're a current owner, West Coast, your car might be available to buy before you get a chance to drive one.

For the rest of us, the Tesla rep suspects they will be doing "Meet the Model 3" events (similar to what they've done recently with the X), where current reservation holders get exclusive invites to come in and drive one.

Again, all speculation at this point, and he was very careful to remind my wife and I that there is no policy or roadmap for product launch that is available yet.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  3. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

To me it doesn't matter. I know it's going to be almost as awesome (if not as awesome) as the Model S but WAY better than my current car.

• Like x 5
  4. pinski

pinski Going Plaid

This honestly makes the most sense - I'd be surprised if they deviated much from what you've just said.

5. inspron

inspron Member

It is funny that most of us put up money on a car we have never seen; worst, take delivery without ever riding in one first.

6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

True, but remember, pretty well every Roadster / Model S / Model X owner has gone through the same process...I think I can speak for most when I say "we're more than pleased" with our cars!:)

7. wbrumfiel

wbrumfiel Member

I would expect a meet the Model 3 event before taking delivery. However I'll probably still buy one even if there isn't. It would also be awesome if there were some events where early model 3 owners in each bigger city kind of showed off the car. Maybe not test drives but at least be able to come check them out.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I am expecting to be able to have a Model 3 test drive before I configure my order. Even though I made a reservation early, on April 1, and have an advantage of being a current owner and in California so that I will likely get my car fairly soon after the Tesla employee deliveries, I think it very likely that Tesla will be giving test drives to early reservation holders who are also going to take delivery early in production.

9. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Do you think they will have cars that early? I don't know that they have ever had cars available for test drives before the configurator opened.

10. Chewy3

Chewy3 If MacGvyer had a beard

West coasters - probably not available before deliveries.
    East coasters - probably have cars available for test drives (a few built and sent East while building West coast orders)

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

After having launched and produced three different models (Roadster, S, and X), and given the high production volume targets of the Model 3, I expect that there will be a small number of demo Model 3's in the SF Bay Area available for test drives after Tesla has built several thousand 3's (my guess is over eight thousand) to fill all the reservations made by their employees.

That is just my speculation.

12. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Maybe we'll just have to make friends with some West Coast employees so we can at least see, if not touch/ride/drive, one in person ahead of time. :)

13. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

I hadn't considered the employee car timeline. I suppose if they end up on a timeline similar to Signature cars, then by the time we get let into the design studio there could possibly be a few cars already through production and maybe a few available to drive

14. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Motor Trend - Model 3

Tesla has not even finalized the design of the Model 3. Patience will be the strongest virtue.

15. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

MT had access to the car before the Shareholders' call....

Since then, we've found out that the car will be finalized by the end of next month.

Sadly, there were pieces of the article that were dated before it even came out.

16. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Even if finalized at the end of next month, they still need to complete testing and certification. Considering Tesla's history of delayed release... Don't hold your breathe for an on time release.

17. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

On time or late, we won't know if that will improve or hinder the likelihood of us getting to test drive a Model 3 before we have to commit. The availability of test drives prior to first deliveries can go either way with either scenario. If they're on time, it may mean there's not enough time logistically to get test drive cars out to the stores before volume delivery has begun; or it may mean there are so many cars built before first deliveries that they can easily sacrifice some for test drives early on. Conversely, if they are late, it may mean they can't spare any of the initial cars coming off the line for test drives since they have to go to customers immediately; or it may mean ramp up will be pushed out so far that they might as well devote the few early cars for test drives and appease reservation holders so they won't bail.