Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's Wi-Fi connection should coming soon(pic)

privater

2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner
Jun 22, 2016
CA
Got this snap photo from current Beijing Auto show:

It's Chinese, but it clearly says:

'Add Wi-Fi Connection' in title and the two button underneath are 'Not now' and 'Connect to Wi-Fi'

This might be a beta firmware, so take it with a grain of salt.

WechatIMG18994.jpeg

ShawnA

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2017
Edwardsburg, MI
Hi Privater,

This is exactly the screen we (and you should) have in Model S and Model X to add the Tesla

to a WiFi network, usually our home network in the garage...

Doesn't the Model 3 have this out of the box?

I do not think this is to make the Tesla a WiFi hotspot. (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

Shawn

classicjoy

Sep 13, 2017
Silicon Valley
Security reasons to not enable it so far, a tech told me.
To me, they can delay it as long as its secure enough when they add it.
I heard in the news 2 months ago that M3 was hackable to gain control via Wifi.
Car is on LTE that's free for now - I don't see a strong benefit.

Oct 12, 2016
MD
As a shareholder, I'm hoping they add WIFI soon to the 3. The data charges for all these updates (esp. maps) must be killing them.

xmetal

Dec 28, 2014
Sarasota, FL
Security reasons to not enable it so far, a tech told me.
To me, they can delay it as long as its secure enough when they add it.
I heard in the news 2 months ago that M3 was hackable to gain control via Wifi.
Car is on LTE that's free for now - I don't see a strong benefit.

Why would the Model 3 would be any different security wise from the Model S and X though? Seems like that would be all over the Tesla-doom news outlets if the new car was much less secure. The Short Sellers would have a field day!

pkshiu

Apr 19, 2018
MA
Sorry to change the topic slightly, currently LTE is free on Model 3? Who is the carrier in the US? Is there a simcard slot somewhere hidden? I am wondering if eventually we will have to pay for it.

Thx,
P.K.

privater

2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner
Jun 22, 2016
CA
Sorry to change the topic slightly, currently LTE is free on Model 3? Who is the carrier in the US? Is there a simcard slot somewhere hidden? I am wondering if eventually we will have to pay for it.

Thx,
P.K.

1. Yes
2. At&t
3. Maybe
4. Tesla says 4 years

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC